Thread: Cpap machine

Default Cpap machine

My husband uses a cpap machine for sleep apnea. Has anyone traveled to Jamaica and used your cpap. Are there outlets by the bed? Is it safe to leave your cpap out in the room?? He snores badly so I don't want anything to happen to this machine.

Default cpap

Not a problem! I used mine last time we were at CSA. I was really a bit embarrased when I first started using my machine until I realized just how many people use them AND how much better I sleep. My wife thinks it's the sexiest thing ever since she gets a good night's sleep!

Hi James uses a Cpap and no problems ever traveling with it. You should take it as a carry on as it would get damaged in checked luggage and medical devices do not count towards your luggage limitations with all airlines. You have to get it out at security check points in the airports so they can inspect it but that's all. Bring an extension cord and no problems leaving it out in the room. I think most people don't even know what they are.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

I've taken my CPAP to both Sans Souci and Swept Away. I pack it in my carry-on and have never had a problem on the airlines. I have found outlets next to the head of the bed at both resorts and leave my machine plugged in for the duration of our stay. The cleaning staff have always been very considerate and I've never worried about the safety of leaving it out.

Enjoy your stay with no worries Mon!

Default CPAP machines

My husband and I were in Negril last September. He also uses a CPAP machine. There was no problem at all. Very trustworthy staff and the electrical outlets worked great. The only problem we have ever had it at the airport. His machine and bag always gets searched. We always carry on his CPAP machine. Trust me. That is a small amount of inconvenience to pay for not sleeping at night.

As some folks have noted, travelling with a CPAP can be a bit nettlesome at the airport. It helps to be prepared:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eeds/cpap.shtm

Since my CPAP is in its own little travel bag, I usually put the quart-sized liquid bags in with it, so that when my wife and I get to the TSA spot, it's all in one place - liquids bag for each of us, and get the CPAP out in one fell swoop.

Also as noted, since it's medical equipment, it's not supposed to count as a carryon. Not that I've ever had a problem, but you might want to have this note (or something similar) from you physician in the bag, just in case:

http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea72/messages/1154.html

I use a CPAP and it has changed my life.... and my wife's LOL! I endeavor never to be caught without it now, because I now know how much better it feels when you get good sleep.

Mine came with a travel bag. I always pack a small extension cord with it just in case. It will work fine with the outlets in Jamaica, if you are from the US.

Mine always gets searched at airline security, but I really think this is a plus. At the x ray machine I just go ahead and pull out the main unit and set it in a tray. After the x-ray machine security always asks me to go with them so they can check my CPAP machine. They then (usually) help me collect all my stuff and walk me over to a quiet area that has chairs and then I can put all my stuff back together in peace. I can actually sit down on a real chair to put my shoes back on. Meanwhile, everyone else has to hop around on one foot while putting their shoes on. Then they have to scramble like mad to put there belts back on and get themselves back together as the rest of the line descends upon them with frantic people trying to do the exact same thing.

All in all, a CPAP machine is a very good thing to have in an airport security line in my opinion.

Thanks so much for the replys! I was so afraid after reading the MB's about security in the rooms and putting things in the safe that we would have to be concerned about putting it in a safe also. But it sounds like its a pretty safe thing to have sitting out. And thanks for the tip about an extension cord ~ we have to remember to take one.

Yes the cpap's really do change your life and your spouses life. Before the cpap I even slept in the bathtub on a trip just to have little quiet. So this thing is worth its weight in gold!

Hey everyone...
    I too, use a cpap for severe sleep apnea - and I found an AWESOME site that sells liners for our masks! They are just starting out - but they are a WONDERFUL company and I don't understand why someone didn't come up with this idea a long time ago.

I ended up with blisters on my face from my mask being too tight...I had tightened it up, because of the little air leaks. I ended up researching on google to see if they had anything to help, and I found their site!

The liners are made out of cotton (like a tee shirt) and are very easy and COMFORTABLE to use. No more air leaks and no more blisters! I have been using them since April and I love them.

For anyone who is interested - here's their link:

http://www.remzzzs.com/
    "Rescuing one dog will not change the world....
    But for that dog the world will be forever changed"
    God bless the rescue babies!
    http://www.AmericanBrittanyRescue.ORG

Thanks Jerseygirl for that link. I am going to look into these. Do you find that you have to use a new one every night like it is suggested? Could get expensive if you have to.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kycouple View Post
    Thanks Jerseygirl for that link. I am going to look into these. Do you find that you have to use a new one every night like it is suggested? Could get expensive if you have to.
    You can either use a new one every night, or one of the service reps there told me that you could also turn them over and use the other side as well. I imagine that you could probably hand wash them and hang dry them too.

I swear, if I didn't stumble upon these liners, I doubt if I would still be using my machine. It was horrible before I found them. Now, no leaks and NO BLISTERS!!!

Just a question to my fellow C-Pap wearers

Since I have been using my C-Pap machine...I have never had a hangover, and believe me I have tried. Has anyone else noticed this amazing and beneficial side affect to the C-Pap???

Default cpap machines

My husband has ben using a cpap machine for only a couple of months and we had not even talked about whether he would take it with or not. He should because it really gives him and me a better nights sleep. I have one question that no one mentioned so far. He was told to use distilled water with his machine. What does everyone use when in Jamaica?
    Margene

Default Cpap machine

The reason for the distilled water is to prevent a mineral build-up in the water chamber. I used bottled or tap water while we were at CSA for 2 weeks and never had a problem. I washed and dried the water chamber every day to remove any residue.

Giffie,

Yes I have noticed that too. That is one of the things proper sleep can help you with.

I use nasal pillows versus the full mask and I find them pretty comfortable on their own. I've always used those versus using a mask, and I've never had blisters, so I guess I'm pretty lucky. The doctor was the one who initially had me try them.

Sharon,

I typically only use my humidifier when it is really dry out, like it is in the middle of winter. During the summer and at Couples I have not needed to add the water to be comfortable. When away traveling I just use some bottled water if I need too to get me through.

The humidifier is a comfort item. It helps keep you from getting dried out. Everyone is different, but I rarely use mine at all.

Here's a pro tip for all you Cpap users... Set it up first thing when you get to the room.... as in... BEFORE you check out the free drinks at the bars! LOL

16. Default

Gosh! What I would do to be able to use the nasal pillows!!!
    The respiratory therapist tried them with me, but my pressure is set at 16 so there was NO WAY!

I have always used tap water for my machine. We are on well water so that might make a difference. I have never had a problem with mineral build up and I have been using mine for over a year.

My pressure was 16 out of 20 until recently and they lowered it to 14. But now I don't seem to be getting enough good rest so it may be going back up.

I always take my machine with me, even if I am going to ge gone for one night. I have put it in my checked bags every time I have flown and have never had a problem.

I just ordered me a set of the Remzzzs. Looking forward to trying these out.

18. Default

I have always used tap water for my machine. We are on well water so that might make a difference. I have never had a problem with mineral build up and I have been using mine for over a year.

My pressure was 16 out of 20 until recently and they lowered it to 14. But now I don't seem to be getting enough good rest so it may be going back up.

I always take my machine with me, even if I am going to ge gone for one night. I have put it in my checked bags every time I have flown and have never had a problem.

I just ordered me a set of the Remzzzs. Looking forward to trying these out.
    KY, I think you will absolutely love them!
    I'm curious to see if they help you as much as they've helped me, so please let me know how you make out.
    -Sandra

I work for a DME company and I highly recommend taking your cpap with you if you use one. For your own sake and your significant others/spouses They are travel-able as everyone else has said I do suggest putting it in a drawer or "out of sight" just in case and definitely taking it as a carry-on. When they get lost/stolen it can be quite the hassle for you, the company who provided the equip, and your insurance--let alone if you would have to get the resort involved due to theft or the airline if it's lost on their end...it's a fixable situation but a hassle you don't want to deal with

Jerseygirl: I got my Remzzzs. I think they are going to be good to have. A little diffcult to get positioned, but they do help with the leakage and the pressure on the nose. Thanks for posting about them.

Jerseygirl: I got my Remzzzs. I think they are going to be good to have. A little diffcult to get positioned, but they do help with the leakage and the pressure on the nose. Thanks for posting about them.
    GREAT! I'm happy for you KY!!! I find if I push more of the material inside of the mask - I can always pull it back out, if that helps you at all. I also position it flat, and then place myself face-down into the mask and hold it, then fasten it.
    Ugh - I thank God for my CPAP, but what a pain in the a$$ - especially when I'm really tired and don't want to fart around with it.

But I know this is the LEAST of my problems in the larger scheme of things!
    Last edited by Jerseygirl032; August 11th, 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by giffie View Post
    Just a question to my fellow C-Pap wearers

Since I have been using my C-Pap machine...I have never had a hangover, and believe me I have tried. Has anyone else noticed this amazing and beneficial side affect to the C-Pap???

Giffie, I do notice a different feeling in the morning that I can't even describe.
    It's kind of peaceful, but strange in a way....
    I think that's what people with a "normal, good night's sleep" must feel like, and I must have forgotten it from not sleeping well for so long....Anyway, like I said, it's weird, but peaceful.