Default Phone call from Jamaica - SCAM

We traveled to Tower Isle on 21 Apr along with 5 other couples to include our 2 sons and their wives. Today, one of my sons received a phone call from a Sean with Winners International in Hanover, Jamaica informing him that he had won some money in a contest. Of course it was a scam as they requested him to send $199 to them by Western Union as shipping/handling for the check to be mailed to him. So far, my son is the only one contacted to my knowledge. The only way anyone would have gotten his cell number was on the immigration form or from the hotel. I can't believe someone from Couples would have given this out as we have visited 3 times so far without this type of incident. Please be aware that someone is getting your personal information. My son googled Winners International and found out that this is a scam. Please be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons View Post
    ... The only way anyone would have gotten his cell number was on the immigration form or from the hotel. I can't believe someone from Couples would have given this out as we have visited 3 times so far without this type of incident. Please be aware that someone is getting your personal information. ...
    The "Jamaica Lotto Scam" has been around since at least 2005. American citizens who have never visited Jamaica have been targeted as well.

While your warning about the scam is valuable, the correlation between your son's visit to Jamaica and being an attempted victim of a Jamaican scam does not equal causation. There are many, many other ways bad minded persons can obtain personal information (just look at the near daily news reports of data breaches on the internet).

His visit to Jamaica may well have been the cause of the attempt, but without direct proof, I don't believe you should accuse Couples.

Has the immigration form changed? We've been to Jamaica 18 times, with our last trip occurring in early April 2011, and I've never had to provide a cell phone number.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I'm far more wary about the airport than Couples, and see you mentioned the immigration forms. Still, that's highly unlikely.

I'm with rudi here, though. If he has a Playstation3, that could be it. If he was a member of one of the hundreds of institutions that got penetrated last month, that could be it.

Another thing to consider is that your trip was to Ocho Rios (CTI). Hanover is in Negril...on the other side of the island (if that is where "Winners Int'l" truly exists.

I'm with Pamela on having never given my cell number on the immigration form...and we flew in there the same day you did. I don't believe we've ever given Couples our cell number either, now that I think about it, so I wouldn't place the blame there.

With technology there's also a possibility that the number was phished while the phone was in use. No matter how it was acquired any time someone asks for money to "win" some money you've got to suspect a scam.

I get texts all the time for stuff that I "won". It has nothing to do with Jamaica as I have never used or given my cell phone number out in Jamaica. I think it is merely a coincidence and just something we are going to see more of. I think I heard recently that Indiana is going to add Cell Phone Numbers to the do not call lists. This indicates that this kind of stuff happens.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I'm far more wary about the airport than Couples, and see you mentioned the immigration forms. Still, that's highly unlikely.

I'm with rudi here, though. If he has a Playstation3, that could be it. If he was a member of one of the hundreds of institutions that got penetrated last month, that could be it.
    An old credit card I don't even have anymore had their website hacked and ever since I get about 50 junk emails a day and tons of calls to our landline...it's hooked to a fax and we use that number anytime we wouldn't want a number passed along, I figure they can listen to the fax if they call me. I agree, so many ways companies get our info these days. Seems it's pure coincidence that the trip to Jamaica had just occurred.

They could have gotten his number on the internet, from the airlines, a store, or just a random pick. We have been to Jamaica many times and never had this happen. The call may have not even been from Jamaica, it may have been from the USA or some other place using a Jamaican cell phone.
    Irie Mon