Hybrid View

Default Randymon's post got me wondering...

I'd rather not jump to conclusions here, so what's "flag hoisting" on TI? I've only been to CTI once back when it was COR, and didn't get out to Tower Isle, so I'm a noob on all things related.

Apparently it's not allowed anymore, so it must've been naughty!

lol...folks who bring their own flag and fly it

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Here are also a couple of threads that show pics.....sad that it can't be done anymore!

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...t=flying+flags

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...t=flying+flags

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Certain groups throughout the year brought flags for the tower.

It's not as naughty as it sounds. On top of the tower is a flag pole. Some regulars have been known to bring their own flag to run up the flag pole.

Not naughty (but I can see how you might think so). Groups would bring their own flags and run them up the flag pole.

Boy, I wonder how many people get the wrong impression about TI after reading about activities like "hoisting your flag".

Maybe it would be best if we didn't bring up that other forbidden activity..."launching your balloons"!

That's funny - I really didn't think about the literal flag hoisting, and can't see the problem unless competing groups want to hoist their flags.

Maybe he was referencing the double entendre aspect of it after all.

I hadn't even thought of that particular meaning...oh that was a bright spot! LMAO! The problem is a matter of sovereignty and I think I butchered the spelling of that. The only flag that can fly at the island now is the jamaican flag. Which, thats fine, I was never into flags and if I was it would just say WELCOME! to reflect truly the open and inclusive nature on the Island. I heard someone on the main board mention that Island people are cliquey and having a personal flag would give that impression some substance which it truly doesnt deserve.

There were some people who decided to act less than appropriately but, it had nothing to do with being naughty.

Thanks for the replies, need to get my mind out of the gutter I guess heheh!

BTW Hiyas KYCouple, we sat next to you at the repeaters dinner at Sans Souci in December. Hope the weather got a bit better for ya!

Hi there Morgan. No the weather did not get any better, but we had a great time. We were at the beach every day but usually was getting wet. I think it was the Friday we were there it rained just about all day. There was water everywhere. But we ate, drank and rested and that was what we really wanted to do any how. We hope to get back some day, just don't know when yet.

Over the years, there have been several groups that have met and become friends on TI. They all travel about the same time every year. Some of these groups have named themselves, "The Islanders" "Ivan Islanders" "April Fools" "April Amigos" just to name a few. Some of these groups have made flags to signify their stay at Couples and would fly it from the tower from the arrival of the first member of the group to the departure of the last.
    Over the past couple of years, the antics of one or two of these groups (there are more groups than are named above) have gotten out of hand, upsetting some guests. Therefore management has instituted new rules regarding "flag flying" and other activities.
    It is unfortunate for the other groups that RESPECT all the guests at Couples to be reigned in when it was just a few people who caused the issue.
    Management has NOT taken into account the groups of "once and dones" (wedding parties) that show more disrespect to CTI guests on the mainland than any of the Island people. I know new guests and wedding parties are a BIG part of the business plan, but is it worth upsetting Couples best ambassadors, the repeat guests?
    Yammy
    CTI/April Amigos