Default MBJ Airport Process

When you get off the plane in MBJ, do you go through immigration before you get your luggage? And then get the luggage before customs? I keep getting the different airports I've been in confused lately and can't remember the layout.
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

When we got off plane we went and turned in our paperwork, you can only go one way and its down a ramp then they look at your paperwork if its all filled out and trust me if its not you will be told to go to side counter fill it all out and then get back in line and then they ask for your passport and ask you questions, you can go up to counter as a couple. Then go get your luggage and then to Couples lounge, it was MUCH easier to go INTO Jamaica then leave so.

The process takes you from the plane to immigration, then to get your luggage, then through customs (with your luggage), then on to the Couples Lounge.

A couple of tips for those who have not been through the process before...

1. Bring a ball point pen or two in your carryon bag (blue or black ink). There never seem to be enough on the plane to go around for everyone to fill out the immigration/customs forms.

2. Be sure to fill out the forms completely, both sides, including signing and future dating the departure section. One form per person.

3. When you go to claim your luggage, it is possible that your luggage was removed from the conveyor belt and set off to the side. This is especially true if many planes arrive around the same time. They try to keep plenty of room on the belt to get all the arriving bags into the bagage claim area as quickly as possible. Send one person to scan any luggage that might be set aside while the other scans the conveyor.

4. Be patient. The lines may appear forever long, but they usually move fairly fast.

5. Check in at the Couples Lounge and let them know of your arrival even if you have made other arrangements to get from the airport to the resort (i.e. TimAir, International Airlink or private transfer.

6. Enjoy the experience...you're on vacation!!!
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimebrad View Post
    When you get off the plane in MBJ, do you go through immigration before you get your luggage? And then get the luggage before customs? I keep getting the different airports I've been in confused lately and can't remember the layout.
    When flying internationally you always go through Immigration first and must have luggage in hand before going through Customs. It does not differ by airport.

When you get off the plane you will walk for about 5-10 minutes to get to the immigration counter. There will be someone there to check over your paperwork - make sure you fill out 1 form for each person including the bottom tab when you're on the plane.

Immigration will check your paperwork and stamp your passport. This gives the baggae guys time to get your suitcases off the conveyor belt and stacked together (prepare to tip for this service).

Once you pick up your luggage you head across the big room to the last couple of Customs stands (nothing to declare lines) - you'll barely break stride here, moved very very fast.

Go through the doorway, hang a left, and on the back wall you'll see the most glorious sight in the world....the Couples Lounge. Check in, freshen up, grab a Red Stripe or 2 (note: just have 2 - last year we had a slightly longer wait and I grabbed 4-5 - made for a loooonog ride to the rest stop). They will take you to your bus for a quick trip (less than and hour and some change) to your resort. If you have a good driver you will get some history on each Parish you go through and the key sites along the side of the road.

Thanks. I've been before I just can't distinguish in my head what MBJ looks like compared to other international airports. Now I remember the ramp and the immigration line. I had been thinking of the one in Cancun I believe. Last time we walked right past the customs line and to the Couples lounge without ever being stopped. Took about 20 minutes at immigration if I remember correctly and our bags took a while to come off the belt.
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

One form per person.
    Verrrrry important! The airlines screwed us up last year with this.....grrrrrrrr

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Thank you for posting this I was wondering the exact same thin as I've never flown internationally before!!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeandrr View Post
    Verrrrry important! The airlines screwed us up last year with this.....grrrrrrrr
    For whatever reason the airlines STILL tell you it's one form per family. That's why this board is so valuable. While everyone else has to go to the side counters to fill out another form we all get to stroll right to the front of the line

Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Suds View Post
    For whatever reason the airlines STILL tell you it's one form per family. That's why this board is so valuable. While everyone else has to go to the side counters to fill out another form we all get to stroll right to the front of the line
    Customs is always one per family. Immigration is tied to your passports and has always been one per person.

Technically, it is one IMMIGRATION FORM per person and one CUSTOMS FORM per family. But since they changed forms years ago to where the immigration form and customs form is combined on one (used to be seperate) we just fill it all out for each person. I still don't understand why the airlines sometimes still say "one per family".

On one flight, I didn't believe them. So I told the flight attendent that I had made a mistake on my first form and needed another. He/she gave me a "replacement" which I filled out for my wife. When we landed, we were one of the first in the immigration line as so many people were forced to step aside to fill out more paperwork. Sometimes I wonder if i should really withhold this tip as it could speed things up for us personally if others don't know about it.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=