Thread: Cell Phone AT&T

Default Cell Phone AT&T

I read somewhere (maybe on the old board) about AT&T not charging for incoming calls. Can someone clarify this? Do you have to sign up for the international roaming for your phone to work in Jamaica?

13 days to go!!!

I used my iPhone from AT&T when we were at CSA in April. I hadve also used my Motorola with AT&T on previous trips.

I called AT&T on my way to the airport to see if there was anything special I needed to do in order to use my phone and there wasn't. But you might want to call and double check.

For me, to receive calls and texts it was free, just like my regular plan. To send texts or make calls, there was an international rate, but it was so minimal I didn't notice it when my bill arrived. Though in fairness, I didn't make many calls and instead had people back home call me.

However, what can be VERY expensive, is the 3G network roaming. You need to turn OFF the following on your iPhone and just use it as a phone. In general settings, turn off Location Services, Disable 3G, Data Roaming and Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

International texts on the "regular plan" are $.50 each, to send OR to receive. My wife texted our daughter instead of calling and it came to over $200 during the week.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by markandjannett View Post
    International texts on the "regular plan" are $.50 each, to send OR to receive. My wife texted our daughter instead of calling and it came to over $200 during the week.
    I'd just all AT&T to double check. Ours was not any additional to receive calls or texts while in Jamaica. But we've been with AT&T for years, when they were Cingular, and have a plan that we have just kept re-newing so ours might not be the same.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

My husband and I are headed to CSA for the first time August 18th and I frequently read the message board for information. This post caught my eye because my husband works for AT&T. The only thing that is free are incoming texts. There is a rate for all calls, I believe it is $1.99 a minute. You can go to the AT&T website and do a search for "international" and it will give you rates for whichever country you want. Just FYI! Hope this helps.

Also if you have T-Mobile and have a Wi-Fi compatible phone and connect into the resorts wireless networks all calls to and from the US are free!!

I have had AT&T for years (since they were Cingular) and have been to CN twice...no calls were free whether incoming or outgoing. I called my kids once every couple of days and kept the calls to under three minutes...just to tell them I love them and make sure they were okay...my bill was still about $40 more than normal.

Amy:

Thanks for the advice about the IPhone...I had no idea I needed to turn off the 3G...glad I didn't find out the hard way!

My mom was charged $2.00 for incoming calls that she didn't even answer through AT&T. Good luck! I kept my phone in airplane mode the entire trip.