We're planning a wedding for somewhere between March and May of 2012. He's 41 and I'm 39 and it is a second marriage for both of us. We're shooting for 9 or more nights. We will probably have a few people come for the wedding. I know my sister and her husband want to go. I'd be surprised if we had more than 6 or 8 people come though.
I've been endlessly reading the boards and I've read the descriptions of all of the resorts on the website, but I thought I'd get some advice from people who have been there. I've seen people say that either CSS or CSA are the most romantic and that CTI is more hotel-like. That's the kind of this I'm interested in hearing...the overall vibe of the different resorts. Laid-back, party atmosphere, quiet, etc....
I've been to Jamaica twice on cruises (Ocho Rios only) and stayed at Sandals in Ocho Rios with my ex-husband. (I'm trying not to let THAT influence my choice. lol) I figured I'd lay out some of our likes and dislikes to make it easier to get advice.
1. We are both beach bums and like uncrowded beaches and pools. I've been to resorts (and on cruises) where there weren't two lounge chairs to be found together and HATE that!
2. We love water sports (water skiing, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving). Though, we generally like individual sports...we're not into volleyball or poolside games.
3. We like walking on the beach, but it's not like we're looking for a half marathon or anything. ;-)
4. We generally like quiet. That's not to say that we wouldn't like a party at night, but we prefer the option for seclusion.
5. We want a romantic atmosphere more than a party one. We're not anti-social people, but we have work schedules that don't allow for us to spend a lot of time alone together, so we look for that in a vacation.
6. Food...Well, I'm a foodie and quite an excellent cook myself...he's a power lifter/bodybuilder and eats constantly. Though, from what I've been reading, it doesn't sound like any one resort really stands out for having the best food. I do enjoy dressing up for dinner, so if one resort has more *formal* restaurants, that would be good to know. Also, we both eat very healthy (at home we eat all organic and no refined carbs) and are looking for lots of protein & fruit/veggie options. That's not to say we won't be eating some late-night nachos or something (after the wedding), but that kind of food isn't a big consideration for us.
7. Neither of us are interested in AN sunbathing, so that's not a consideration at all.
8. As for the room, we will probably go with the highest available category at whatever resort we choose. A jacuzzi would be wonderful.
9. BUGS...I need to know about the bug situation at the resorts. Bugs LOVE snacking on me! I don't mind having to wear some bug spray occasionally at night, but I'm also not interested in covering myself in it 24/7. :-)
10. Beach vendors don't bother me at all. I have a beautiful dolphin painting hanging on my wall from a beach vendor in Jamaica and some great sarongs from one in Mexico.
11. We would definitely pay the extra money for a private dinner on the beach, so if one resort has more options for that, I would be interested in hearing about it.
Also, how long of a trip would people suggest for staying at two resorts instead of one? I know there are some benefits when you stay 7 days at one resort (resort credit specials and such). So, would 7 night at one resort (where we would have the wedding) and then 3 or 4 days at another resort be advisable?
CSA ALL THE WAY!!! i read your description and my fiance' and I are VERY similar. We love csa for almost all the reasons you have listed. We've been there twice and are going for a 3rd time this summer to be married
Thanks Ash! Congrats on your quickly approaching wedding! I was leaning toward CSA. I'm torn between the great house jacuzzi suite and the and the beach front veranda suites. We would LOVE to have a jacuzzi in the room, but being steps from the beach is very appealing as well.
Thanks Ash for the advice and congrats on your closely approaching wedding! I was leaning toward CSA, but I'm torn between the great house jacuzzi suite and the beach front veranda suite. I'd love the jacuzzi, but I'l also love to be steps from the beach.
We're now thinking May or June of 2012. He's a little more superstitious then I am and his first marriage was in March and mine was in April...so those months are out as far as he's concerned.
Hmmm...I just read the notice that the rates for CSA are going up next weekend. I wonder if I can pin down my fiancée on dates yet. We haven't gotten the ring made yet. lol I've picked out the diamond and the setting, but our schedules have been too hectic to actually make it to the store (it's a 2 hour drive). He might think I'm putting the cart before the horse, but it's not like we need to tell our family it's booked yet.
So, I talked to Chris last night and my worries were totally unjustified. As soon as I told him the rates were going up on Friday, he said "book it"!!!!! So, we are going to book it tonight or tomorrow. We're looking at arriving on May 14, 2012, having the wedding on May 16, 2012 and staying through May 24th or 25th. He works for an airline and never gets a Saturday or Sunday off, that's why we're only goint to stay over one weekend, instead of two. I get plenty of annual leave, so I'm fine with taking 10 days off. If we work it right, he will only have to take 5 or 6 days of his leave (he gets less than I do). I'm soooooo excited! Now we have to get moving on the ring because I won't be able to keep this a secret for very long. LOL
Ha Stacie, you are cracking me up!! Congrats to you and Chris and I'm sure you will have no regrets at all!
We are getting married at CSA 12/12/12 so we have a LONGGGGG wait but we know it will be worth it!!
Good luck on the ring and get that room booked ASAP girl!!