Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Those flying into Orlando...

There was a post a few weeks ago about things changing when they flew into Orlando, even if it was a non stop flight. We just flew back today (BOOO!...but my review will be up shortly) from San Souci and you DO have to "re check" your bags with your liquor IN your luggage even if Orlando is your final destination.

We went through custom and immigration (after waiting forever for our bags) and then they tell you and give you plenty of warning that you have to put your liquid items into your bags and you put your bag on a conveyer belt to have it "checked" by security, etc. You then take your normal carry on items (w/o liquids) and have to go through a security checkpoint (beltless and bare feet and all). You then take a the tram over to where you normally would pick up your luggage and then pick up your bags there for the last time or continue on to your next destination.

I asked the guy if this was new and he said it had been like this for a while due to construction and re-figuring of the airport. So make sure you still leave plenty of room in your luggage for you to put your liquor and other items in your bags. I hope that clears up any confusion and I hope nobody has to wait as long as we did for our luggage; I think they hand checked every single bag on the plane.

I'm a little confused how this is any different than at Miami or Charlotte. When we've traveled home in the past, you have to put your duty-free liquids in checked luggage at your port of entry before heading on to your final destination, Boston, in our case.

I'm sure I missed something above, but since we're flying into MCO in October coming back from CSS, I'd like to make sure I understand the implications fully.

Thanks.

It was me who posted that and we chose to toss our liquids rather than wait for our luggage - we fly carry on only for a reason.

We fly internationally out of Orlando 4-5 times a year and April was the first time we experienced this. Last international trip was in December - I guess my definition of "a while" does not match TSA's.

Not worth the wait IMO and we leave for CSA next week with carry on only.

Quote Originally Posted by MACoupleholic View Post
    I'm a little confused how this is any different than at Miami or Charlotte. When we've traveled home in the past, you have to put your duty-free liquids in checked luggage at your port of entry before heading on to your final destination, Boston, in our case.

I'm sure I missed something above, but since we're flying into MCO in October coming back from CSS, I'd like to make sure I understand the implications fully.

Thanks.
    This is in reference to carry on bags. Previously in Orlando we were allowed to carry duty free with us to our car as Orlando is our home airport, we fly non stop and we pack carry on only.

This is no longer allowed and we had to throw away our duty free items before we were allowed to leave with our carry on bags. We were not willing to check.

That is the difference as it has not been like that in the past.

Thanks.
    The problem isn't that it is different from Charlotte, it is actually the same type of thing as they have there. The problem is that it didn't used to be the same as Charlotte and now it is. People were not expecting it. Some folks were taking a direct flight to Orlando thinking nothing had changed and then they were told they had to check their bags even though that was their final destination. Some didn't have room for their liquids, etc.

"I'm sure I missed something above, but since we're flying into MCO in October coming back from CSS, I'd like to make sure I understand the implications fully."

I hope that cleared it up, but it still seems to be a bit confusing.

Let's try this,

These people were not making a connecting flight, Orlando was their final destination and they flew nonstop there from MBJ.

Thanks.
    The difference is Orlando was their final destination, same as if Miami or Charlotte were your final destination not Boston.

caviargirl and Melody,
    I have been slow to understand this (not unusual... just ask my wife!) but if I do understand it now:
    You fly direct, non-stop from MBJ to ORD and even though ORD is your final destination and you have no connecting flight ... you must either throw away the liquids you may have carried on at MBJ or 'check them". Is that correct?

The part that I can't wrap my head around is this.... you have to put the oiquids in your carry-on luggage and 'check them"? Check them to where? Checking a bag usually means you turn if over to the airline... they take your luggage and give you a claim ticket for the checked luggage. In your case where are you checking them to? Do they make you check these things to the same airport you are standing in and then send them on to a luggage claim area for you to go wait to claim them even if you are just picking them up again to go to your car?

Is this after you have gone through Immigration and Customs? When does this problem occur in the normal process?

This just seems like a monumentally idiotic system and I have never seen it done this way in any trips I have taken home from Jamaica, but I seldom find myself in ORD. In fact ORD sounds like a good airport to avoid if this is their idea of reasonable luggage policy.

Thanks for any clarification! I know this must be annoying to you, but the system you have run into at ORD (unless I am still understanding it...) is clearly different from the airports I have flown into from Jamaica.
    Thanks for your patience!

rhallva,

I seem to have the same understanding that you have. They are making you check your carry on, with the liquids, after you arrive at your final destination. Even though you are not boarding a plane or going anywhere else through the air. Essentially you are going to submit your bags to the pre-flight security check AFTER you have arrived.

I hope that I am misunderstanding something here. This seems to be the most absurd thing I have heard of as far as airport security in an age of many absurd things.

I don't think I will be attempting to bring back any rum cream this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    caviargirl and Melody,
    I have been slow to understand this (not unusual... just ask my wife!) but if I do understand it now:
    You fly direct, non-stop from MBJ to ORD and even though ORD is your final destination and you have no connecting flight ... you must either throw away the liquids you may have carried on at MBJ or 'check them". Is that correct?

The part that I can't wrap my head around is this.... you have to put the oiquids in your carry-on luggage and 'check them"? Check them to where? Checking a bag usually means you turn if over to the airline... they take your luggage and give you a claim ticket for the checked luggage. In your case where are you checking them to? Do they make you check these things to the same airport you are standing in and then send them on to a luggage claim area for you to go wait to claim them even if you are just picking them up again to go to your car?

Is this after you have gone through Immigration and Customs? When does this problem occur in the normal process?

This just seems like a monumentally idiotic system and I have never seen it done this way in any trips I have taken home from Jamaica, but I seldom find myself in ORD. In fact ORD sounds like a good airport to avoid if this is their idea of reasonable luggage policy.

Thanks for any clarification! I know this must be annoying to you, but the system you have run into at ORD (unless I am still understanding it...) is clearly different from the airports I have flown into from Jamaica.
    Thanks for your patience!
    Yes, they gave us a choice of tossing our duty free items (which we did) or putting them into carry on and then placing those on the belt that was there for this purpose. Absolutely stupid IMO or as you said "monumentally idiotic system".

We go through immigration then customs. Post these, now there is brand new TSA station set up where you have to go through the same security you do when you are initially checking in for your flight. This after the dogs that sniffed our bags as we departed the plane.

After this TSA check, we were allowed to leave for the parking garage with our carry on bags and sans our duty free liquids.

We fly non stop to MX and JA often from MCO and have for years. This is the first time we encountered this new system. Talk about slowing down things even more - they have managed to achieve this for sure.

Where does this 'belt" go to if you put your liquids inside your bag and 'check' the bag? How and where would you get it back? Is it so far away or inconvenient to claim your bags again if you did this that it makes more sense to throw your duty free booze away?

On the other hand, is this 'belt' you refer to just like a TSA check where it goes through a scanner/xray and you pick it up again right on the other side (?), or do you mean a conveyor belt like the one behind the airline counter that carries your bags away to a plane once you check your checked luggage?
    If it just a TSA check (not saying it is, just that there are times when it sounds like that when I read the problem) and they are telling you that you need to either throw your stuff away or put it in your carry-on bags and send it through the TSA checkpoint to leave the airport...what is keeping you from doing that instead of throwing the duty free booze away?
    This is my fault, not yours.... I think I have myself confused.
    Thx

Where does this 'belt" go to if you put your liquids inside your bag and 'check' the bag? How and where would you get it back? Is it so far away or inconvenient to claim your bags again if you did this that it makes more sense to throw your duty free booze away?

Thx

"a conveyor belt like the one behind the airline counter that carries your bags away "

Yes, this is what it was.

"TSA check where it goes through a scanner/xray"

This was the additional check I am speaking of which has recently been put in place. Normally we proceed with our carry on bags from the plane through immigration then customs then take the escalator up to where we exit to catch the train to main terminal for ground transport to take to our car. Now they have a new TSA check point before you are allowed into the area where the shuttle to the main terminal departs. A new bottleneck to slow down the process even more.

We did not have booze, we had vanilla extract and it was not worth waiting for.

The belt goes to wherever it goes to eventually make its way to main baggage claim area. The last few times we have had to check a bag the wait to get it was well over 30 minutes. It simply was not worth it to us. We wanted to get home, pick up our dog and not wait at baggage claim.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    rhallva,

I seem to have the same understanding that you have. They are making you check your carry on, with the liquids, after you arrive at your final destination. Even though you are not boarding a plane or going anywhere else through the air. Essentially you are going to submit your bags to the pre-flight security check AFTER you have arrived.

I hope that I am misunderstanding something here. This seems to be the most absurd thing I have heard of as far as airport security in an age of many absurd things.

I don't think I will be attempting to bring back any rum cream this year.
    It's sort of hard to explain and comprehend the whole situation if you haven't seen it. The reason you have to check your bag again is that you must enter a secure area before you can leave the airport. There is no longer a direct way to leave the building due to construction or something. Once you are in that secure area you could potentially go to any gate. I realize that you came FROM a secure area (the plane and other airport) and haven't had access to anything else but that's just how it works. The area where you get your bags back and go through customs is not considered "secure" so you are essentially the same as anyone off the street in the eyes of the TSA.

So glad we are not flying through there. So you have to check your bag with liquids over 3.4oz even if your leaving airport. Bag that is checked is then sent to another bagage claim area, for you to pick up and the then leave airport?!? If you have a conecting flight do you have to check your bag at this TSA stop and go get it at bagage claim then recheck it again? Note to self avoid this airport!!!

TSA must figure you can somehow get your liquid explosives past the security of your point of origin then slip it to your accomplice waiting in the secure area of your destination! They can then blow up their flight.

Well... I go back to my original assessment then.... That is the most idiotic luggage policy I have ever heard of. Thankfully I have not run into that at any of the 3 airports we sometimes use. I can't figure out how they think this is making anyone any safer. It looks like they are keeping passengers from carrying duty free stuff that has already been judged harmless enough to carry on to a flight into an unsecured part of the airport where people arriving could be carrying anything since they have not been through any security yet. Mindless. I am sorry some of you nice
    folks have to deal with this at your home airport. You deserve better. It's a shame too because other that this it's a great airport!

My wife and I flew into ORD a few months ago, but it was a flight coming in from Nassau and that's a whole different ballgame. Nassau has an actual US Customs and Immigration station so you do all your stuff there before leaving the Bahamas. Maybe they this will change back to a more normal approach before your next trip.
    All the best-

Well... I go back to my original assessment then.... That is the most idiotic luggage policy I have ever heard of. Thankfully I have not run into that at any of the 3 airports we sometimes use. I can't figure out how they think this is making anyone any safer. It looks like they are keeping passengers from carrying duty free stuff that has already been judged harmless enough to carry on to a flight into an unsecured part of the airport where people arriving could be carrying anything since they have not been through any security yet. Mindless. I am sorry some of you nice
    folks have to deal with this at your home airport. You deserve better. It's a shame too because other that this it's a great airport!

My wife and I flew into ORD a few months ago, but it was a flight coming in from Nassau and that's a whole different ballgame. Nassau has an actual US Customs and Immigration station so you do all your stuff there before leaving the Bahamas. Maybe they this will change back to a more normal approach before your next trip.
    All the best-
    It is a stupid setup but in their defense, I have seen a LOT of things in the secure areas that never should have gotten through security at MBJ and other airports. I saw a guy by the gate cleaning his nails with a large pocket knife last year! It's a huge PITA but I can't say I really blame them for wanting to try to make sure the secure areas are secure. They make mistakes too but an extra check can't really hurt anything. I just wish they could build a little hallway from that area to a door or something. That would make things a lot easier.

Wonder if this is permanent or only over the construction? Flying out from MCO in Nov.

Melody,
    I understand and agree about the need for security in the secure areas, but unless I am still misunderstanding something here this is imposed on people on their way OUT of the secure area, not into it.

I understand and agree about the need for security in the secure areas, but unless I am still misunderstanding something here this is imposed on people on their way OUT of the secure area, not into it.
    And this is the crux of it and why it makes no sense. We arrive into a secured area and remain in a secured area for immigration, customs and then have always exited to the terminal. Now in between and just stuck in the middle of the normal exit is this new TSA station. It does not make sense at all.

We took the same flight March 2010 (direct flight from MBJ to Orlando) and did not have to go through all of the hassle. I'm assuming it's due to construction but maybe it's a permanent change.

This time it was a HUGE hassle as:

1. It took us over an hour to get our luggage the first time
    2. Had to go through customs/immigration
    3. Had to "re checked" our bags (AKA: you just place them on a conveyer belt since they still have your airline tags on them).
    4. Go through security
    5. Get on the tram to towards the main airport lobby are
    6. Wait another 40 minutes to get our luggage for the second time

I hope everyone understands now....it is hard to explain without having seen it yourself. My only reason for posting was to make sure you have room in your luggage for your booze..even if you're on a direct flight.

Wow! That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.. Truly a new low for the WORST ever organized and controlled by the US govt.

I can totally see this process being warranted if you are continuing on to another destination, but if this is your final destination what gives them the right to make you go through all that hassle again to get to your car and leave the airport? I really fail to understand the logic construction or not..

This is the airport we fly out of because we can get there non-stop, but now perhaps I will just take the 3.5 hours and drive down to Ft. Lauderdale just to avoid those idiots. We only carry on, bring as much booze as allowed and as patriotic Americans get very angry at this sort of abuse of our freedoms. Good thing I read this before booking tickets or going through there..

Quote Originally Posted by trvlr4lfe View Post
    Wow! That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.. Truly a new low for the WORST ever organized and controlled by the US govt.

I can totally see this process being warranted if you are continuing on to another destination, but if this is your final destination what gives them the right to make you go through all that hassle again to get to your car and leave the airport? I really fail to understand the logic construction or not..

This is the airport we fly out of because we can get there non-stop, but now perhaps I will just take the 3.5 hours and drive down to Ft. Lauderdale just to avoid those idiots. We only carry on, bring as much booze as allowed and as patriotic Americans get very angry at this sort of abuse of our freedoms. Good thing I read this before booking tickets or going through there..

It should come as no surprise that the quickest way to really foul something up is to let a government agency run it.

Melody,
    You have to go back into a secure area to get out of the airport. There are plenty of things in your luggage that are not allowed in the plane and you would be able to remove them and give them to someone or bring them on with you. Anywhere that you have your checked luggage is not "secure" because you are allowed to have things like knives and larger liquids, etc. If they didn't do it this way there would be people bringing their checked bags into the secure area in order to get to the exits.

Quote Originally Posted by orv View Post
    it should come as no surprise that the quickest way to really foul something up is to let a government agency run it.
    like!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast