Default Travel Insurance Woes

So. We've been going back and forth on purchasing travel insurance for our honeymoon that is quickly approaching (May 31st!) ...and it seems that we can't find a policy that covers just "regular" flight delays (delays that are not caused by a mechanical issue or weather) Here's the thing...we're most concerned about missing a night at the resort because of a flight delay. We're flying Spirit air (which has only 1 flight per day from Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay) so if we miss this flight (say because our flight coming from Chicago is delayed...which I hear can be common with Spirit Air) then we'll miss our first night at CSA.

Most insurance policies (at least the ones I've found) will ONLY cover unused accomodations if the delay is from a weather, mechanical or strike issue lasting 12 hours?! And from what I've experienced in the world of air travel lately is that airlines can delay/cancel their flights for anything and whenever they want. And even if one of those things were the reason for the delay...even for 2 hours (let alone 12!) would cause us to miss a night.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there ANY policy that will reimburse unused nights already paid for because of a regular ole flight delay?

Any help/opinions/suggestions would be appreciated! At this point, my only solution is to pray. alot. every day.

Thanks!
    Danielle & Mike
    ----> Honeymooned at CSA June '11!
    --------> Really can't wait to be "home" again!

All that is covered w/ my One Pass Plus CC
    Try not to worry!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Insurance policies very rarely, if ever, will state they cover regular flight delays, BUT that's actually okay because airline delays are almost always categorized as either weather or mechanical, and once in a blue moon because of a strike. I used to work for Continental and if we ever had a delay for any other reason besides weather or mechanical we were in big trouble because if it was something that could have been avoided it BETTER HAVE BEEN AVOIDED. Since Spirit is a discount airline their policies may be a bit different and I know their ranking is not very good so that would worry me a bit, but as far as travel insurance policies there is not much more you can do than to purchase the standard one.

I would suggest a website called squaremouth. I've used it several times. Never filed a claim, but, they have an amazing selection of policies. If you can't find it there, not sure you can get it.

Best wishes and enjoy your trip.

My TA has it!

www.itraveldestiny.com
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by wilson.1187 View Post
    Insurance policies very rarely, if ever, will state they cover regular flight delays, BUT that's actually okay because airline delays are almost always categorized as either weather or mechanical, and once in a blue moon because of a strike. I used to work for Continental and if we ever had a delay for any other reason besides weather or mechanical we were in big trouble because if it was something that could have been avoided it BETTER HAVE BEEN AVOIDED. Since Spirit is a discount airline their policies may be a bit different and I know their ranking is not very good so that would worry me a bit, but as far as travel insurance policies there is not much more you can do than to purchase the standard one.
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't think I have ever had a problem that didn't lead back to mechanical or weather problems. No crew to staff the flight? That's because they were delayed due to weather on the flight they came in on, etc.

I think the problem is that some of the insurance plans say you must be delayed X number of hours but if you are on an airline that has one flight from wherever they are connecting they are SOL until the next day even though it was only a 2 hr delay. I don't know what insurance would cover that but I'm not too familliar with travel insurance options.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeandrr View Post
    All that is covered w/ my One Pass Plus CC
    Try not to worry!
    What is a One Pass Plus CC?
    Danielle & Mike
    ----> Honeymooned at CSA June '11!
    --------> Really can't wait to be "home" again!

Default Insurance

We have never had a situation where we didn't make it to the resort because of a flight. We use american express travel ins.. Our policy is if we cancell for any reason and that is what is stated on the policy that we will have full reimbersement. We pay a little extra for it but it is well worth it. I had to use it in the Dominican Republic where I was hospitalized and it paid for everything. It took a few weeks to get my money back but we did.