Default Travel Insurance?

We'll be at CSS September 3-10. When we made our reservation, I did not opt for the insurance. This is the first time to Jamaica (our 5th trip to Jamaica) during the hurricane season, and I'm beginning to think that may not have been a good idea. For those of you who have gone during this time frame, what are your thoughts?

I personally would never travel without insurance. Last year at CSA my husband broke his leg waterskiing, and we had to come home early. The insurance paid for all his expenses plus the missed nights. you never know what will happen. We just get the yearly plan and then are covered for as many trips as we go on, for the entire year.

Does anyone know the best deal on the travel insurance?
    I have been given a price for this years trips that is almost 3 times the price of last years insurance.

Also what did it cost you for a yearly policy?

Thank you in advance

We would never travel to an expensive resort out of the US without travel insurance. We have been to Couples and Jamaica four times and used the insurance on three of those trips. First for a cancelled flight and an extra night at the resort, second for medical and third for medical and an airline destroyed suitcase. It's not too late to buy it. You don't have to get it through Couples.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Def get the insurance!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Like with any insurance, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathymjollie View Post
    We'll be at CSS September 3-10. When we made our reservation, I did not opt for the insurance. This is the first time to Jamaica (our 5th trip to Jamaica) during the hurricane season, and I'm beginning to think that may not have been a good idea. For those of you who have gone during this time frame, what are your thoughts?
    We always buy the insurance. I also fell once at CN and had to see the Dr. The insurance paid for everything. You should go ahead and get the insurance.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

grayturtless:
    Which travel insurance do you go with? Is the travel insurance through Couples good for one year?

TravelBug

We live in Canada so we get the Desjardins insurance. I think its called multi trip insurance, good for trips within a year. We pay 250 a year for it. It works out great for us, because it covers trip interuption, and trip cancelation as well.

I had posted a post about this last week...worrying because we hadn't yet purchased insurance and that it seemed too expensive.

I found a really useful site called www.squaremouth.com, you put in your basic info (ages, price of the trip, timeframe) and then it comes up with A TON of different companies and they plans they offer.

We chose CSA (haha, guess it was meant to be. it's www.csatravelprotection.com ...totally unrelated to Swept Away, btw) because they had the best coverage for the best price. We picked the Custom Plan, insured $2000 (we paid $3700 for our entire honeymoon but you can insure as much as you want) and for two of us (ages 26) we only paid $63. But I did buy the insurance through squaremouth because they have a Zero Complaint Policy.

I'm sleeping better now knowing that we have travel insurance should anything happen...and I think $63 was definitely worth my peace of mind.
    Danielle & Mike
    ----> Honeymooned at CSA June '11!
    --------> Really can't wait to be "home" again!

We always go during hurricane season and buy the insurance every time. I wouldn't take a trip this expensive or extensive without it regardless of the time of year though. It covers so many things besides hurricanes...the incident mentioned above with the fall is a good example. Ours would cover us if we had car trouble on the way to the airport and missed our flight, medical expenses during the trip, if there is a hurricane that interrupts the trip we get our flight home covered (you'll generally pay to rearrange those flights). Lost luggage is a covered expense also, you can get personal care items and clothing if your luggage doesn't show up. Lots of things you just wouldn't think of but it sure would come in handy if you needed it. It's pretty cheap so even if you don't use it the peace of mind is nice.

My last post did not make it to publication. In it I said I called Couples t see if we could still buy the travel insurance. I was told we could, but it would not cover our accommodations. We went with a good comprehensive policy from AAA for a reasonable price. I did get an email from Couples' Director of Reservations and Revenue Development. She apologized for the confusion and sent me a link to Couples' travel insurance . The policy clearly sates one cannot purchase the travel insurance if the reservation had been paid for in full (our balance has been paid). I should have been told that when I called, but for me it's no longer an issue. I can understand Couples' need to protect paid reservations and we have now have the insurance we need. I looked at the Couples policy and it's not bad for the price. The AAA policy was $50 more but the max payouts are higher and it covers a couple of things the Couples' policy did not. I have learned a lesson and will always opt for insurance. I'm currently looking for a policy that would cover a full year....like the one Travelbug mentioned.