Default IPAD used at CTI

Has anyone used their IPAD to Skype while staying at CTI? We have some friends that stayed on another Caribbean island and although they had free internet access were unable to use their IPAD's wires connection. It had something to do with it being an Apple product. Anyone have any issues or helpful tips for us?

We will be at CTI June 9-16 and it will be very helpful to our 7 year old daughter to be able to see Mommy a couple times if possible. I've gone through quite a bit of heath issues this year and she has gotten rather clingy and more attached to me than normal - typical given the situation.

What about cell phone usage? We use Verizon. Can we use our cell phones or should we purchase calling cards? I know that we had to get calling cards when we adopted our daughter from China but we are sure about Jamaica.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, we are celebrating our 25th anniversary and want to enjoy it and not have to worry about anything back home - it's hard for mommy.

Thanks,
    Tina

I can't speak on the iPad, but I did contact Verizon about using my wifes or my cell when we go to CTI this year. The reply I got back from Verizon was to update the roaming on the phone (dial # something,) and it would work. The problem is, we'd still be paying the Verizon roaming rates, which at about $2.50/minute(!!!) is rather steep.

So, right now we're either going to spring for a pre-paid phone, or keep our phones off except for set times when we will check our voice mail. For us, this won't be a problem, as we have no kids, and while the Mom-in-law will be house sitting, my sister / brother-in-law / father are within about 30 minutes of the house, and will be checking on the MIL.

As for me, the worst call I could get would be from work. Being the server / network / general geek / admin, I tend to be relied on. I've already been warning people that when we're on this vacation, my cell is going to be off, and if they call the resort directly and get a phone to me, I'm hanging up (besides, what could I do from ~1000 miles away???)

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by warren.cple View Post
    (besides, what could I do from ~1000 miles away???)

Jason
    Don't get set up with a VPN... The answer will shock you. I had to work a stolen laptop case (IT Sec end) last Sept.

I don't understand why the iPad wouldn't have worked. A network connection is a network connection. It doesn't matter if it is Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, whatever. All it does is request an IP address. Sounds like to me that resort didn't know what they were talking about. Anyway,

Yes, your iPad will work just fine.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by warren.cple View Post
    I can't speak on the iPad, but I did contact Verizon about using my wifes or my cell when we go to CTI this year. The reply I got back from Verizon was to update the roaming on the phone (dial # something,) and it would work. The problem is, we'd still be paying the Verizon roaming rates, which at about $2.50/minute(!!!) is rather steep.

So, right now we're either going to spring for a pre-paid phone, or keep our phones off except for set times when we will check our voice mail. For us, this won't be a problem, as we have no kids, and while the Mom-in-law will be house sitting, my sister / brother-in-law / father are within about 30 minutes of the house, and will be checking on the MIL.

As for me, the worst call I could get would be from work. Being the server / network / general geek / admin, I tend to be relied on. I've already been warning people that when we're on this vacation, my cell is going to be off, and if they call the resort directly and get a phone to me, I'm hanging up (besides, what could I do from ~1000 miles away???)

Jason
    Just wanted to let you know that we just returned from CTI this week. Our Verizon phone (LG Ally Smartphone) would not work there except out front by the fountain. It had absolutely no service anywere else at the resort. We did the *228 to update it as you were directed and it worked perfectly at the airport and other places in Jamaica just not CTI.

Here's what we did....you can call directly from your room phone for $1 per minute to the States. It's cheaper than the cell, clear as a bell, and you can do it from the comfort of your room. The directions to call were on the phone. and I can confirm when we checked out that the charges were correctly applied at $1 per minute and charged to our room.

We would just go out by the fountain once a day and check for any messages and return any phone calls from our room.

Also, a word of advice, be sure to turn off data roaming if you have a smartphone or when you do have service your apps will update causing a ton of charges. We also used the wifi on our laptop and phone without any problem.

Default Verizon

We tend to just text message when we're there. It's about fifty cents a message, but if you have a smart phone, switch it to wi-fi, which is free.