Hybrid View

Default MBJ Air Traffic Controller Strike

Has anyone heard any updates about the MBJ Air Traffic Controller strike or been affected by it? We leave on Monday and I am hoping it has been resolved.
    No Worries

Default air traffic control

Yes it did affect us, our departure flight 5/22/11 was late departing and we missed our conection in charlotte.

I cannot find the webpage, although had read earlier this week that the strike had only lasted a few days. The report I read didn't state whether or not they had settled their contracts, but that the controllers were back to work. So it appears to have been resolved.

Strike is over. They can't strike for at least another 28 days. We are getting ready to board our flight to montego bay. No worries!

Quote Originally Posted by BeachGrl View Post
    Strike is over. They can't strike for at least another 28 days. We are getting ready to board our flight to montego bay. No worries!
    NO NO NO they can not strike in 26 days I leave for CSS in 31 days to be married!

As of tuesday they are back at work.

It appears everything (for the most part) is back to normal. American Airlines out of Dallas is back on schedule.

I've been watching TVJ live everymorning on the internet, it was said they have a meeting on tuesday the 31st to try to discuss their issues...we fly out wed on AJ, so I've been concerned. I just did our CN pre-check in...so keep my fingers crossed
    Dee & J

We also will be flying AJ on Monday the 6th early AM flight.

I am glad to hear the strike has been resolved. However, I wish it would have been resolved sooner. My husband and I never made it to CSS for our honeymoon, due to the strike. We were unfortunate enough to have already left Charlotte, NC and were only about 30-45 minutes from landing in Jamaica when our captain came on and said we would be entering a holding pattern, due to some issues with the Kingston air traffic controllers. After a little while, he came back on and said that we would be waiting a little longer as it turned out the controllers all went on strike after our flight had already departed. He wasn't sure if they would divert us to Miami for some time, or return us to Charlotte. He mentioned that they were trying to get authorization to fly over Cuba, but that Cuba was not cooperating. The captain eventually came back on and said that we would be returning to Charlotte. Upon our arrival back, it was a scramble to get in touch with US Airways Customer Service to try and find a different flight that would get us to CSS to enjoy our honeymoon. We wouldn't be able to find another flight until Saturday 5/28. This didn't work for us, as we only had the week to be gone from work. We were very saddened and distraught at the situation, as we had been planning our vacation for so long. We were looking forward to celebrating our honeymoon, and our first vacation with Couples, at CSS. Instead, we returned to Indianapolis (where we originated from) and took a road trip across the midwest. We made the best of the situation, but we feel we missed some of the allure of our honeymoon because of the strike. We are hoping to reschedule our trip to CSS, but we know it will never be the same as getting to spend our honeymoon there.

Keywaters,
    So sad to hear about your honeymoon. Mty heart is with you!

thanks, grayturtless. My husband and I are looking at possibly rebooking for January. We know it won't be the same as celebrating our honeymoon, but we are hoping it will be great nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by kewaters View Post
    thanks, grayturtless. My husband and I are looking at possibly rebooking for January. We know it won't be the same as celebrating our honeymoon, but we are hoping it will be great nonetheless!
    Kewaters ~ You "2nd" honeymoon in January at CSS will be fabulous!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Kewaters....you must have been heartbroken. You'll have a fabulous time whenever you go. Try to think of "Honeymoon" as a state of mind. After 14 years, Matt and I try to honeymoon whenever we can.

OH Waters I am so sad reading your story I just cannot imagine your disappointment! I know I would have been heartbroken if it would have just been a normal vacation!

Couples is a normally a very special place. I have a feeling if you send Gary Stevens or randy your story, they are in management at Couples, they may be able to do add something romantic for your arrival at your very very special Honeymoon at CSS in January

Remember as long as you are with the one you love it does not matter where you are. Always kiss goodbye in the morning and say I love you before going to bed.

Congratulations!!

Thanks MfK and Fluffin...we are still very much looking forward to traveling to CSS and I'm sure it will be a great time. 8-)