Default Luggage question

We're still about 240 days away We are flying US Airways ($$$ baggage fees). US to Jamaica is considered international travel, so are two bags per person allowed? Their website doesn't really spell it out and I want to avoid shelling out more money before the trip even starts.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

Looks to me like you pay for all your checked bags. Regardless, I can't imagine needing two per person, one per person should be sufficient.

They will charge you $25 for 1 bag and $35 for the second bag, per person. I guess US to Jamaica isn't international enough for them. Wacth the weight of each bag cause that adds us quick too. 51-70 lbs will cost you another $90. If it wasn't for the 3.4oz rule and my needing sun screen we would just use a carry-on.
    Here is the link to Us airways baggage info, hope it helps.

We, too, are travelling USAir in October, so I checked into this to satisfy my own curiosity. It was actually quite easy to find (Travel Tools, Baggage Policies), and it popped up immediately. For travel "Within U.S., Canada, Latin America, Caribbean", 1st bag is $25, 2nd is $35, 3rd is $125, 4th and up are $250. Pretty standard pricing, from my experience. These are per person, by the way.

Hope that helps....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

At the most, you should only need on checked bag per person. I know some folks do it all carry on, but I have my favorite sunscreen, so that ain't happening for us. My son and I just flew to Florida on Allegiant and did carry on. But we were staying with my mom, so we could wash clothes as needed and she went to Walmart for the sunscreen.
    Vicky

We fly carry-on, no problem mon....

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    We fly carry-on, no problem mon....
    "like"
    so do we

I tip my hat to those that manage to fly with only carry on bags, but we are not able to accomplish this feat. However, we are trying to go with just one checked bag between the two of us this year. If it saves us a few bucks we will sure try. Over the last few years we have gotten better at packing only what we need for our week at CSA. So hopefully this year only the one checked bag will suffice. That would be nice. Not only less expense but easier to get around, Mrs. dirtleg is not highly skilled at toting more than one bag through an airport.

No, apparently the caribbean is not considered "international" by US Airways, go figure. I guess there are too many of us that travel down there that it has become quite a gold mine for baggage fees.

We carry on two bags and check one, again because of make-up, sunscreen, etc... However, now with the bagaage fee it may be more cost effective and easier to just buy the sunscreen at the resort. Sure it cost more, but against a $25 to $50 baggage fee, maybe it now makes sense. And what you don't use, just pass it on to someone there at the resort. There is always folks that are just a little short and don't want to have to buy a whole bottle -- just a thought...

When we flew US Airways we were charge on the flight to Jamaica but not the flight back.

Quote Originally Posted by winlove View Post
    We carry on two bags and check one, again because of make-up, sunscreen, etc... However, now with the bagaage fee it may be more cost effective and easier to just buy the sunscreen at the resort. Sure it cost more, but against a $25 to $50 baggage fee, maybe it now makes sense. And what you don't use, just pass it on to someone there at the resort. There is always folks that are just a little short and don't want to have to buy a whole bottle -- just a thought...
    I use the mineral powder for make up, so I don't have to put that in the 3-1-1 bag.

Just an FYI for those that travel carry on, Aveeno has 3 oz tubes of sunscreen.
    Vicky

That must have changed, because we flew US Airways home in September and our bags were free because it was an international flight. I'm sad they changed this

I think that we have paid the checked baggage fees with US Airways going to Jamaica. I think they don't consider the Caribbean an "overseas" destination.

In general, with US AIR, I just assume things will be the worst case scenario. They rarely prove me wrong.

We have traveled to Jamaica for the last 6 years and we have never paid for checked luggage. We always check a total of 3 bags. It has always been free in the past

the above link shows pricing for bags