Default Jamaica and Multiple Sclerosis

hi everyone!

my DH and I have been to CN twice and just fell in love with the place. a year ago, i was diagosed with Multiple Sclerosis. we have not been back but i just can't stay away. we just booked a trip for Feb 2010 and I think i will do ok, but am a little nervous. anyone ever go to one of couples property and have MS? thank you, Kel

Mrs O,

That's a choice for you and your doctor to make. Are you in remission? Are you disabled? Is your MS progressing quickly? Do you need special accommodations?

MS is a very individual disease and no two people have the same symptoms or progression of symptoms. MS by itself is no reason not to go wherever you want as long as it is in control.

I was diagnosed in 1999 and have not had a single symptom since. Most people who know me don't know I have it because it does not have me. Since diagnosis I have been to Europe 3 times, Mexico, India, Nepal, Canada, and many other places around the world. I also survived raising 3 kids who were preteens in 1999.

If you want to connect about this let me know and I will post my e-mail.

I have MS and go to Jamaica every year. Mine is in remission for the most part but email me and I can give you some advise the doctors will never give you jstweed@ameritech.net You will feel wonderful in Jamaica the best cure is there!
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Kel-
    On the resort i doubt you will have any issues... as CN is relatively small and well laid out .
    I would plan/prepare as much as possible for the Mo bay airport.
    The heat long walk and standing in queue is what I would be most concerned with. With that said you may be able to arrange a cart to help minimize the walk thru the airport. Obviously wear cool loose fitting clothes and above all else take you time ... February isnt as hot as august however i would plan on pre allocated times where you will stay out of the sun/heat. Walk the beach in the early morning or dusk instead of mod day and all will be okie doke ... have fun and enjoy

"Most people who know me don't know I have it because it does not have me."

JumpingJen, that's one of the most beautiful sentences I have ever read.

Default Since 1992

I was diagnosed in 1992 and have never once let MS have me either. I travel, I fish from our boat on some of the hottest days out there.... basically I do what I can, when I can - that's called "living with it!" I'd be happy to chat with you via email or even telephone if there's any way I can reassure you. Traveling with my syringes/needles will be a new thing for this coming April 2010 at CTI, but I'm not anticipating any major problems to that end either. My email is lhornsby@baylandsfcu.org, and after that I am happy to share a cell phone number with you. The support I've received from numerous people is what's kept me sane and helped to keep my positive attitude about it all - so I'd be honored to speak with you, as I feel it might be a chance to give back some of what's been given me.

all,

thank you, thank you, thank you.

i'm still getting used to MS. I was diagnosed a year ago. I am doing just great and haven't let it slow me down except for the day following my Avonex shot.

I feel lucky that there is a treatment and am starting to do what i want. I am in remission but I try to be smart about heat and getting proper rest. I'm working full time and am happily married to the most wonderful man in the world. By going back to CN, I am also saying that i have MS but it doesn't have me. I would welcome any advice. my email is kmac95131@yahoo.com

Kel

Cakes, Thanks for the acknowledgment. That feels good.

Mrs. O, I have been on Copaxone for 10 years and I love it. No bad days on it. What do you mean by bad days on Avonex?

Jen,

with avonex, some get nasty side effects that make you feel like you have the flu. i get body aches, have really bad headaches, get the chills, etc. It's no fun, but it only lasts for one day. when i started, it lasted all weekend. i'm hesitant to change since it seems to be working. after my sixth-month check in i had no disease progession and the lesions in my brain had shrunk. i feel like with each passing day, i'm getting stronger and coming to terms with the disease. I'm so glad to hear that copaxan is working for you. we are so lucky that there are treatments. i appreciate your response. kel

Kel,

I have been away on a short trip for my niece's wedding. Glad to hear you are doing well.

You may want to think about not telling many people about your MS. I say this because you may continue to do well and if so, it is no fun being known as the one with MS. I prefer to just be Jen. Occasionally I run into someone I have not seen in ages who knows I have MS and they talk to me differently. Their concern is very sweet, but it throws me and it always takes me a minute to figure out what they are talking about.

Take care, Jen

I've had it for 6 years now. Been to CN 2 times, and going back at the end of September! Anyhoo, I find that a cold towel around my neck helps alot...or a dip in the pool by the dive shop (It's colder). Regarding meds: Been on Avonex (hated it, too many side effects). Tried Copaxone, no side fx, but didn't work for me. Been on Tysabri for 3 years now, and I love it.

Enjoy your vacation!