Default Carry on only ???

For those of you that go carry on luggage only, how many days do you typically stay? It seems to me that packing for 5-7 days carry on only is way different than packing for 10-14 days.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

We stay 6 to 7 days...

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

I would not agree. I am about to head to Europe for a 2 week business trip in a carry on - just have to be strategic about what you bring and plan on rewearing things. Wear your bulkiest items so they don't take up room in the suitecase and look for dry alternatives to "liquids" for instance I carry Olay daily facials which you went and use in lieu of soap - that way it does not go into my qt baggie. We go to Jamaica for a week but we check a bag with our dive gear - allows us to bring our own sunscreen. The bag only has dive gear and sun screen - all of our clothes, etc are in a roll aboard. If we did not bring dive gear would just buy sunscreen once we arrived.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    For those of you that go carry on luggage only, how many days do you typically stay? It seems to me that packing for 5-7 days carry on only is way different than packing for 10-14 days.
    For our most recent trip to CTI, my husband and I managed to travel with carry-on bags only. Our stay was for 8 nights. I had to make a very tough decision and choose only ONE pair of heels that would go with all my dinner dresses. The rest was easy. Shorts, bikini's, & tank tops don't take much room. Our next trip will be for 12 nights, and we'll try to do the same thing. I would do just about anything to avoid checked baggage - one less thing to worry about!

7 days

We stay 7 days but wouldn't have a problem staying longer and still just going carry on.

We usually stay 11 nights in Jamaica plus two travel nights in hotels getting there and back. So we do carry on's for what is really 13 nights.

You do have to be selective about what you bring - but neither of us have ever felt like we were doing without something we wish we would have brought. I bring 3 suits and rotate every three days - one cover up (a skirt with several tanks). Then two dressy items and a lot of mix and match - capris/shorts and tops. We usually have three pairs of shoes each - my husband brings flip flops for daytime, nicer sandals for most nights and a close toed shoe for dress up nights. I usually have two flip flops - one rubber and one nicer pair and one dressy sandal that goes with everything.

No one is truly looking at what you have on and did you wear that before.....it really does not matter. And the clothes are worn for such a short time in the evening that wearing something twice is not a big deal.

We use resorts repeater credits for sunscreen and I do not wear a lot of makeup anyway - but even less in Jamaica - just enjoy the sun-kissed and humidity glow(great for my skin)! So we have no problem with 2 quart sized bags f0r everything else.

Have fun! Carry on is so much easier for traveling. Just make sure you aren't overstuffing and then can't get that big old bag in the overhead compartment.....LOL

Yeah, we only go 7 days with carry ons. You could probably hit 10, but to do 14, you may need to look into the resort's laundry service. You can probably use resort credits to pay for that. It's sure nice to not check luggage though!

While I am sure that the "carry-on only" enthusiasts have good reasons for their preference, I do not bother to even try it. Maybe for a short trip, but not for a longer vacation.

Personally, I would rather have the freedom to bring a little more and not have to hire an engineer to figure out an optimum packing strategy, and also not have to worry about how I will wash the 3 pairs of underwear that I was limited to bringing. It just doesn't seem to be worth the half-hour that is saved by not having to go claim my luggage. Plus, by using a larger checked suitcase, I don't have to stress out about what goes and what stays and still have plenty of room to pack school supplies to bring to Jamaica and also pack souvenirs to bring back home.

Great answers everyone. I was just curious as I don't really remember this topic being brought up before.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

if i could figure out how to do it with bug spray and sun tan lotion i'd do it

Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    While I am sure that the "carry-on only" enthusiasts have good reasons for their preference, I do not bother to even try it. Maybe for a short trip, but not for a longer vacation.

Personally, I would rather have the freedom to bring a little more and not have to hire an engineer to figure out an optimum packing strategy, and also not have to worry about how I will wash the 3 pairs of underwear that I was limited to bringing. It just doesn't seem to be worth the half-hour that is saved by not having to go claim my luggage. Plus, by using a larger checked suitcase, I don't have to stress out about what goes and what stays and still have plenty of room to pack school supplies to bring to Jamaica and also pack souvenirs to bring back home.
    I am totally with you! We usually go for 2 weeks anyway, so carry-on only isn't an option for us regardless. Plus I like to take my own (liquid) toiletrees.
    I do however stuff my carry-on with lots of essentials just in case... Helps ease my loose-my-luggage-aphobia.

When we did a cruise followed by a week with friends in the BVI, we used the laundromat on the ship at the end of the cruise so we could take less clothes. Unfortunately AI resorts never have laundromats. Couples does offer a laundry service. It seems a bit pricey, but if you compare it to the cost of paying for extra bags, perhaps it's not such a bad idea for those preferring to travel carry-on only, yet not want to wear the same clothes, unwashed, over and over, or try to do laundry in the sink...

Note about those who like to do sink laundry... Do not plan this at CTI. They have those modern flat sinks, without plugs, and they are horrible for washing out so much as a pair of panties!

I check a bag when I'm going away for 3 days. LOL

We have visited Jamaica many times over the past 20 years or so and there have been several instances where if we had needed to check bags leaving Sangster, or claim bags during our layover between flights on the way home the result would have been missing our flights. This is the exception to the rule for sure, but in 25-30 trips to Jamaica we have ended up in the position more than we would have expected due to slow traffic going back to Sangster, delayed flights leaving Sangster, etc....

My point is that everyone should pack what they think they want or need, but those of us who carry on see the luxury of not traveling with a lot of luggage as far more than just saving '30 min', but sometimes it is the difference between making or missing a flight out of Sangster. Also the 'freedom' other feel by having lots of clothing and shoes with them is not unlike the freedom we feel at not having lots of luggage with us.

Before liquids became more regulated we would often spend a week in Jamaica with only carry on. Now that we can't carry sunscreen onto the plane we have to either check a bag on he way down or buy sunblock in Jamaica. These days we usually check a small bag on the way down with sunblock and other liquids, and then carry it on when we go home. Checking one on the way down is not nearly the problem that checking one on the way back is because on the way down in 'check through' to MBJ and we don't have to claim, handle or see it again until we claim it at Sangster. On the way home though, since we often have connecting flights, we would have wait for and claim all checked luggage to go through customs, then check it all again before going through security it again. Do what works for you. We tend not to need much when in Jamaica.
    Have fun!

I have one bag just for the shoes. (Not quite, but almost.) Two checked bags for me. And one for DH. And I only carry on my purse. Less to lug through the airport, (IMHO). I DO put a bathing suit in my purse, just in case, though.

That being said, though, I once packed for 10 days in New York in winter with just a carry on. (I had the two kids with me, and they had the big suitcase, so I had no choice.)
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]