Default Handicap accessibility of the resorts?

Is everything at the resort accessible by elevator or ramp? We will be visiting in 2012 and want to make sure it accesibe for me. Can't do steps....

Which resort are you staying at? We've been to CSA and CSS (and have done a day pass to CN), and none is particularly accessible if you can't do steps. Jamaica does not have legislation similiar to the Americans with Disabilities Act, so they are not mandated to have ramps to allow access around stairs. I'm sure others will speak to CTI.

As you may know from reading this board, CSS has lots and lots of steps and the resort itself is cut into a hillside. CSA sprawls along the beach. We have seen people in wheelchairs at CSA, but it would be a challenge. Even the first floor rooms have a few steps that you will need to climb. The greathouse at CSA has no elevator, so all of those rooms and Feathers and Patois would be out. And Lemongrass and the Martini Bar would be impossible to access (one very long flight of steep steps).

I hope others have better news for you about CTI or even CN.

Which resort?

Stear clear of CSS. Although they will give you a ride if needed there is now way to negotiate the resort and all it has to offer without taking a few "steps" I can't speak for any of the other resorts though.

I can only speak for CSA and it is not very handicap friendly. There are no elevators on the room buildings and many areas of the resort are only accessible by stairs. Jamaica does not have an ADA standard like in the States. I hope that this does not dampen your plans. I wish that I had more positive information for you.

It depends on which resort you are talking about. CSS does have lots of steps and not all of the areas are accessible by elevator. I would sadly not recommend CSS for you. I'm not sure about the other resorts though as we have always stayed at CSS. Maybe someone else can comment on the other resorts.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Which resort did you book? The answer to your question would be no. I've been down this road with my parents as Daddy has moblility issues and uses a walker. Swept Away and Sans Souci are definate NO'S. Mom and Dad have been to CTI and CN and found CN to be the easiest for them. They booked a handicapped accessable room at both resorts with a walk in shower and close proximity to everything. The pools were good at both which was important because Daddy can't walk on sand.

Which resort? From the two that I've been to you might have issues. Especially around the beach. I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in here.

Just keep in mind that None of Jamaica is ADA compliant.

I've had both my knees replaced and we go to Tower Isle every year. With the remodeling, they put in a ramp(thank you, thank you!) from the main floor of the hotel down to the level with the Patio Rest., pool, bar etc. That was a big help. We always ask to stay in the main building, as it has elevators. There are stairs down to the beach. One set is very wide with a handrail, so I've had no problems. I have to be careful walking on the sand, but just take it slow and haven't had that much of an issue. The Veranda Rest. is on the main floor of the hotel. There are steps up to 8 Rivers Rest., but if that's a problem, if you go further down the hall, there is another entrance to the Rest. where there are no stairs. If you decide to go have a great time! Seven weeks and we'll be back.
    Jean & Ron J

I can only speak about CSA. We've been going there since 2004 and I've seen quite an improvement in the accessability. Some of the new Garden Verandah main floor rooms have ramps up to the verandah. The Sports Centre has added ramps at it's entrance so it and the Oasis Spa are accessible. I may not be remebering accurately, but I think there is a ramp to access the main floor of the Great House building on the road side. This opens up Feathers and Patois. There is a ramp from the beach level to the Cabana Grill and the pool at that end. The Martini Bar and Lemongrass are up a steep flight of stairs, as is the Aura Lounge. Along the length of the beach is a paved path.
    I've met people in wheelchairs at the resort, and they seem to have a great time. Staff is always willing to help. One lady told me she goes on the snorkeling trips with help from the watersports guys.
    If you have concerns, call the resort and ask. I think you'll find everyone very helpful.

We were at CN last year. There was a woman in a wheelchair there for a week. She thought the access was fine... better than she expected actually. Mind you, her husband did possess the strength to carry her places that weren't wheelchair accessible... for example, from the pool to the beach or the ocean.

What made me ask her about it was, I saw her down by the pool one day rolling towards building 6. I walked up the stairs into the lobby and voila, there she was. When I asked how she got there so quickly she told me there's a walkway around the side of the building that she's able to move along and get to the front of the lobby. She said she was able to get a lot of places but that there were some places where she did need her husband's help. I saw her several times that week without her husband and could tell she wasn't feeling stranded or abandoned at all.

You will need a ground floor room for sure though.

ENJOY!!!

I think CTI would be your best bet. There's an interior hallway from the lobby through buildings 3 to 5, as well as an elevator (but first floor would definitely be handier). There's also an outside walkway along the front of building 3 from the swimup pool, past the lobby and Verandah to the buffet restaurant and bar and main pool. I think anyway you go there's some stairs to the beach though. I do recall a ramp heading out to Bayside. I wouldn't say it's completely wheelchair accessible, as I recall some steps here and there, but it would be easier to navigate than CSS for sure, and it's the most comapct resort. As mentioned, lots of stairs at CSS, and yes, even though there's the road and you could get a ride, I think that would be tiresome. Even though CSA seems flat, as was mentioned, there's also lots of stairs and it's very sprawling. I can't comment on CN, as it's the one we haven't been to.

You didn't say if you are confined to a wheel chair or use a walker.

CN is probably your best bet, but you will encounter challenges there too. It is small and flat. First floor rooms have no stairs. I think there is one step to get into the Cassava Terrace (only choice for breakfast) but no steps at the other restaurants. The Piano Bar and Lobby are up a flight of stairs from everything else, but I think there is a back way around to resort level, but it may be very steep. You will arrive and depart at Lobby level. It may be a challenge to get to the beach also without a step or two. But, the staff will bend over backwards to make things work for you.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I've been to all 4 resorts. CN is the best for handicapped personnel with mobility issues. There are ramps everywhere so nothing is not reachable via a wheelchair (I know, I had to use one once.) You can even get down to the beach level, but a chair on the sand might be difficult. If it is just stairs you need to stay away from then I highly recommend CN. Also, the beach at CN slowly deepens into the ocean and there is no seaweed so a person with mobility issues would still be able to easily enjoy the ocean. If there is not a storm at sea then the beach is very calm with very light waves. CN has handicapped rooms on the first floor so you would be able to access any part of the resort. Just let the resort know your need when you book your room.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

A couple of things I forgot to mention. When Mom and Dad went to CN the first time they wanted to go on the Catamaran cruise. I contacted the resort ahead of time and they arranged for some rather large guys to get daddy on and off the boat. They had a blast! Also, if you decide on CN, book an Oceanview Room. The handicapped rooms are in building 7 and are only about 20 steps from the pool. The first year mom and dad were there, they had a garden room in building 2 I believe. It was down by the tennis courts and way too far from everything. It is important to ask for a handicapped room because of the walk in shower. The only regular rooms that have them are the suites.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    Which resort are you staying at? We've been to CSA and CSS (and have done a day pass to CN), and none is particularly accessible if you can't do steps. Jamaica does not have legislation similiar to the Americans with Disabilities Act, so they are not mandated to have ramps to allow access around stairs. I'm sure others will speak to CTI.

As you may know from reading this board, CSS has lots and lots of steps and the resort itself is cut into a hillside. CSA sprawls along the beach. We have seen people in wheelchairs at CSA, but it would be a challenge. Even the first floor rooms have a few steps that you will need to climb. The greathouse at CSA has no elevator, so all of those rooms and Feathers and Patois would be out. And Lemongrass and the Martini Bar would be impossible to access (one very long flight of steep steps).

I hope others have better news for you about CTI or even CN.
    We will be a CN in May 2011!!

Couples Negril in May 2011

Couples Negril May 2011

Thank you everyone for your help. It looks like CN is the resort for us. I can do 1-2 steps with help, but since everything is accessible by ramp we should be okay. Thanks!! It is so hard to get this information most places.

CTI has elevators in Buildings 3, 4 & 5. 8 Rivers has a few steps to the restaurants, Patio, Verandah, Pool Grill and Bayside can be accessed through ramps. I can't seem to remember is you can get to the swim up bar with a ramp. Seems like I am remembering a few steps. No steps to main pool, though. There are steps to the beach from the main pool, but there is a ramp they drive down to the pier in a golf cart, but I think there is one step to access the beach.
    Vicky