Thread: Making hats

Default Making hats

I made a wonderful hat while in Jamaica. Please be aware that customs took my hat. I had been extra careful with it for 4 days. Carried it onto the plan & made sure nobody smashed it. When we landed in the US. They took it from me.

awww.....that stinks! why?!

Gosh... That's terrible! Don't mean to rub it in but I made it home after declaring both of mine both times. (April 2006 & April 2009) Homeland security needs to develop some sort of consistancy...This time they we most concerned with the $3.00 bag of trail mix we bought on the plane! Sheesh!
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............
    Jamaicaman & Hottie

Default OK

And why do we need to know this?

My sister in law made a straw hat at CN last year, she made it all the way home with it. Maybe depends on where you go through customs.

Sorry but this made me giggle a little. I can see it all now, all your work and tlc and then arrive in the US and customs takes it. I can't imagine why they'd take the hat but this almost sounds like a murphy's law incident. Booo Customs. razzl

Because it's made of leaves from a plant. I know others have gotten theirs through customs but I can't remember how - either packing it in checked so it's hidden or declaring it on their customs form. Someone else on here might have the answer.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

Ummm...was it smokable or something?

I'd be curious to know why also and if it was customs.

It might be possible they consider the hat a plant material being imported.
    Last edited by RDYJMJM; August 12th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.

We've seen the Customs officers do that to people before. They claim it's to prevent the importation of bugs, mites and spores.

Personally, I think they're just jealous of everyone's hats.
    nobody's favorite poster

Probably because you can't bring any vegetation back into the U.S.

Did they take it because it was considered a foreign plant? I know you aren't allowed into the US with whatever liquor people get in the DR because there is plant materials in it.

Yep, it's that thing about bringing vegetation or animals into the country. They tend to have bugs. Same thing can happen with bridal bouquets.
    Vicky

That's not cool!!
    -Otter,

They took my hat because some bug has been found in them recently. I was carry the hat & they asked if I had packed any more hats. I hadn't but wished I had. They also said if my hat had turned brown it would have been fine. I should have stayed in Jamaica until my hat turned brown. My husband told me I should have taken a picture of it. Why does he always have to be right?! I am still pissed!

This reminded me of something that happened probably 35 years ago when I was in Jr. High & I had to go on these 2 or 3 week LONG car trip vacations with my parents where we had to pack a cooler to eat out of, etc. ............ Think the Griswalds going to Wally World & that's kinda what it was like only my Dad is more of the John Wayne type. Anyway ............. We were in Washington & Oregon driving down the coast right before we cross into California & my Dad stopped at a fruit stand & bought this huge bag of bing cherries because he LOVES them. Well, we get to the California state line & they stopped us at a check point where they search the cooler & take Dad's bing cherries because of some bug or something that they are trying to keep out of the state. OMG -- My Dad was SO MAD!!!!! He has always said that if he had it to do over again, he'd have pulled over by the check point & ate the entire bag of cherries He is sure the guards didn't throw them out but ate them. HA HA He's almost 84 & this still is one of our favorite stories. Those car trips were LONG but at least there were some funny moments to go along with the miles of road.
    Julie