Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone have a suggestion for a good beach read?

I need to visit the book store to get something to take on our trip. I have a gazillion books at home, but I feel the occasion warrants a brand new book (in addition to the brand new swimsuit(s), brand new beach cover-up(s), and brand-new dress(es)). Any suggestions?

Whatever you choose consider my method... Audible Books! I love to read on vacation, but I have found that when in a beautiful setting on a beautiful beach my eyes keep being drawn from my book. Perfect solution for me (your milage may vary) is listening to books on audio. I gave off at the ocean (or any other eye candy that passes by) while enjoying my book all the while.
    As for books to read... everyone's tastes vary so much that it's tough to even start. Just choose something that makes you happy.

anything by James Patterson or Stuart Woods.

I'd like some suggestions too!

Nelson DeMille and/or Tess Gerritson.

Anything by Nelson DeMille or Tess Gerritson. Reading with the Nook or Kindle is really great, even while waiting in the airport.

We just got back from CSA and one of the highlights of our trip was reading the same book on the beach. We always discussed it when we went out in the water and it was so much fun . . . our very own book club in paradise.

The book we read was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Sure it's about WWII and guys being lost at sea for weeks surrounded by sharks, but it was a great story of the human spirit. If you're into memoirs, I would highly suggest giving it a try.

There's another thread with this same question. I really appreciate the new ideas.

- I enjoy Patterson and Kellerman
    - Eat, Pray, Love is now one of my favorites
    - If you haven't read the Harry Potter series you must. Well written books that are super entertaining
    - Twilight series is just plain old fun
    - James Herriot "All Things Bright and Beautiful" series. I just thought of these books. I read them years ago and they are laugh out loud funny, sweet, poignant. I might get a couple of those this year. I bet my hubby would love them.

And...I'm with you. Doesn't matter how many bikinis, coverups, and beach dresses I have. I always get more for my Couples trips!!! (Makes my husband crazy.)

If you want something that is very light, hilarious and easy to pick up and put down, I would start reading the Janet Evanovich Series. It starts with "One For The Money" and is currently on #17. I always pick up a new Evanovich for our trip to Couples!

Quote Originally Posted by MnK View Post
    - James Herriot "All Things Bright and Beautiful" series. I just thought of these books. I read them years ago and they are laugh out loud funny, sweet, poignant. I might get a couple of those this year. I bet my hubby would love them.
    The Herriot books are some of my favorite books ever. Love them. I remember reading them in 4th grade and the first book started off with his hand up inside a cow. That's was quite an eye opening for a 10 year old girl!

Thanks for all the suggestions - several of them sound good!

Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim - David Sedaris
    Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
    The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
    A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
    She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb
    I Know This Much is True - Wally Lamb
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

Haven't read it, but heard great things about:

Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton is good, light fun (and informative in a somewhat apocryphal way) and has the added bonus of taking place in and around Jamaica (albeit c. 1665).

I really enjoyed Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. But I wouldn't suggest it unless it's out in paperback now (or if you have an e-reader), since it's something around 1,000 pages.

If you have any interest in historical fantasy, I'd VERY HIGHLY recommend "Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin (soon to be be a series on HBO). But it's the first in a five-books-and-counting series, and it's quite dense and long by itself, so it can turn into a bit of a commitment.

I'm a dog lover and I'm reading oogy
    Erika & Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Mestralle View Post

If you have any interest in historical fantasy, I'd VERY HIGHLY recommend "Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin (soon to be be a series on HBO). But it's the first in a five-books-and-counting series, and it's quite dense and long by itself, so it can turn into a bit of a commitment.
    The first three of that series were fantastic, but like many other authors, he decided to milk it. The fourth book has zero content until the last 50 pages. It was very disappointing.

The James Clavell stuff is great. I think it starts with Shogun (Like the old mini-series) and works through Japan and Hong Kong. They're hard to put down and long enough to be satisfying.

If you want a good light fun read, you have to read the book Forrest Gump!! it will actually make you laugh out loud and unlike the movie, it is short!!

I have always found the label on a Red Stripe bottle to be great reading at CTI.

Default B-Mon Suggestions

I have read all those books! They are all great reads, I would suggest them to anyone!

I really enjoyed the Stieg Larsson trilogy: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I read them while we were at CN; they were great beach reads.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I just people watch, just as interesting as reading!!!!!

Last summer I read the Sookie Stackhouse series - the ones that HBO's "True Blood" is based on. Not literary masterpieces, but lots of fun and easy read for the beach.

I got them all on my e-reader and it was perfect!

I agree about Harry Potter as well - you have to read them if you haven't - and I heard that the author is finally looking to put them in digital format (which is great bc the later books were getting quite hefty!).

I have been trying to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo bc several ppl have told me that it is great once you do - but I wouldn't try to start it on vacation bc it is HARD to get into...(IMHO)

Have fun! I am loading up my e-reader in anticipation of our trip this August! Preparing is half the fun!!

2nd Pamela's idea but I was so addicted to those books that if I would have read them at Couples I wouldn't have got to enjoy the resort Really great series.

I couldn't put down the book "The Help" just finished reading it.

My personal favorite would be "Beach Road" by James Patterson That book left me with my mouth wide open.

Heard "Water for Elephants" was a great read but I tend to stray away from Romance novels. So if romance is your thing check it out. My friend will not stop talking about it...might have to give in and read it.

The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

I wouldn't call "Water for Elephants" a romance novel. It's very good - My husband liked it and he doesn't read romance novels

Questor, re Martin, I do somewhat agree with you, but because the first three were so amazing, I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. The fourth was not initially intended to be so long, and I think he got a big bogged down in the details he felt needed to be told. And if I remember correctly, he had an internal inconsistency that necessitated a pretty bit correction/rewrite.

Winter is Coming!

Water for Elephants! Great read and not a romance novel at all. Also, The Help, I couldn't put either one down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast