Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

rudi,
    That may be a misprint .... it could be they were referring to "Beaches Sandy Bay" which is operated by Sandals.

done

Signed it!

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    rudi,
    That may be a misprint .... it could be they were referring to "Beaches Sandy Bay" which is operated by Sandals.
    Perhaps, but I don't think so.
    I don't know if you've read the proposal, but it has an aerial photo showing the 13 soil sample spots. I have many, many aerial photos of Bloody Bay and it (the soil sampling location) definitely is the (as-yet) undeveloped area on Bloody Bay between the 2 "R" resorts. (What I call the "Office Of Nature" or OON area).
    They also have an inset of Bloody Bay with Long Bay showing that the blow-up with the soil sample sites is that same OON location.

If you don't have time/desire to download and read the proposal, on the Jamaica-related forum to which I posted the link earlier, someone has today posted just that soil sample location image.

For those interested, the proposal is not to grab sand from the shoreline of the OON beach, but rather to excavate 2 areas about midway back towards Norman Manley Blvd.
    The environmental impact of removing 9000 cubic meters is unknown (to me in any case), but there is reported concern on what the necessary digging and transportation equipment might do to vegetation to/from the dig sites.

Done!!

I hope that the petition and the outcry from the other hoteliers in the area will stop this insanity. Thank you Rudi for posting the link to the other thread. Very eye opening.

This is even more damaging than those huge sandbags in front of the beach at EDR in Puerto Morelos. When we were there in 2003, it looked as if a pod of blue whales had expired just off the shoreline. UGLY!!!

Done.

Life is good

Rudi,
    Just read it and you are clearly correct. I can only assume that "Butch" must own a part of Bloody Bay that I did not know about. As you said it must be the Office of Nature area or possible near that small area used by the resort across the street (Sunset at the Palms?). Since understanding your point I am more worried than before since it will impact some beach areas on Bloody Bay as well as past Hedo at the SN site. Thanks for the info!

Done!

done

This was also posted on the CSA Dive Face book page by me...

After reading the Sandals proposal it is obvious that is only models the benefits to the Sandals property and does not consider how this will impact the southern sections of the beach, which includes a public park, CSA, as well as many other resorts without the substantial means and political influence to protect themselves.

North Carolina as long banned these structures due to their unpredictable and unintended consequences (see my link to the short brief from the NI). It is not hard to envision the beach erosion that will be shifted south and the resulting "arms race" to build more intrusive structures along a beautiful stretch of natural beach that will result.

Dr. G Boyd (aka Dr_Bird)
    PhD Environmental Economics, Duke University

I will post more relevant info as I locate it but here is a link to a short document the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions at Duke University regarding the NC ban pn similar structures.
    http://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/oc...download/paper

We gladly signed. Everyone should really take a look at those articles that are linked here, as it will affect BOTH CSA and CN. CSA because, of course, the tides and repositioning of the beach, not to mention ruining the view.

But, if you read these articles, it sounds like Sandals owns the Office of Nature area land just down the beach from CN. Can you imagine the noise and disruption if they start bringing in heavy equipment to haul the sand out of this area? I can imagine that diesel smell permeating everything, and the noise would carry down the beach in all directions. Not a relaxing beach vacation!

Plus - CN enthusiasts - what do you think will happen the first time it storms? The Bloody Bay beach will erode, and Mother Nature will put that sand BACK onto Sandal's property, taking it away from the other properties along Bloody Bay! Tons and tons of sand removed from the beach means eventually, a more narrow beach for CN and everyone else.

This could potentially be a real problem for all of the resorts.

Beergirl

Done! I cannot believe anyone would consider building anything along that beach.

There is some work in the area of the office of Nature closer to the main road right now. I noticed a lot of digging and heavy equipment working just down the road from CN and had no clue what was going on.

It's not good to @&!*% with Mother Nature!
    I hope the petition does not get steam-rolled by the big bucks under the table.

Signed Sealed Delivered

Does anyone have a link to the actual proposal? I read part of it once, but now that I was going to look it over further I can't find any links to the actual proposal about the jetty/breakwater.
    Thanks for any help!

Does anyone have a link to the actual proposal? ...

From "http://jamericans.net"
    =============
    Here's the link to the proposal: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...a41833b61ebe00
    =============
    I haven't downloaded it (again) since last week, but the link appears to still function.
    Last edited by rudi; June 24th, 2011 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks rudi... I may have not explained the problem well. The link does still work, but the file download once you are there does not. When you go there and try to get the proposal it says that the file has expired.
    Thanks for the reply though!

As I skimmed through the proposal I think I found that the proposal was quite different than I had expected. I would like to read it through more carefully (even though I already signed..). I am fairly certain the a large number of people are signing without having any real idea what the proposal is. I am all for signing but think it would be good if people could read it first.
    If anyone has a copy they can post somewhere or knows of a place the actual proposal is available please let us know here. Thanks!

If anyone has a copy they can post somewhere or knows of a place the actual proposal is available please let us know here. Thanks!
    I re-posted the proposal from my hard drive to the same site.
    It will expire in 14 days (or 100 downloads, whichever occurs first) from ~12PM EDT Sat. June 25 (not from whenever this posts).

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/115761640...e8fbfe6794cda5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2