Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Music for Jamaica

I am putting together a list of songs to download to my iPod for my trip to CSA in 24 days!! So far I have songs from the Zac Brown Band, Bob Marley (of course!), Kenny Chesney, The Beach Boys, Eddie Money (2 Tickets to Paradise), Rascal Flatts (Summer Nights), Jimmy Buffett, Power Station (Some Like it Hot), Jolly Boys (Take Me Back to Jamaica), Glenn Fry (The Heat is On), Katrina and the Waves (Walking on Sunshine), and Hiltonaires (Jamaica). I would love to hear suggestions for songs to add to it.

There is a Hawaiian artist That has a fun, Islandy version of Somewhere over the Rainbow. Train, Crosby, Stills andNash, Wyclef Jean fill out my playlist, with of course Kenny Chesny and Bob Marley. I also like Van Morrison and UB40' on my vacation soundtrack. Excellent thread!

My favorite beach album is Kenny Chesney's "Lucky Old Sun". The first time I listened to it I was in Jamaica and now when I hear it I think of sitting on my balcony at CN looking out at the ocean. Ahh...
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I can't speak for anyone else, but I will say this. If you keep your earphones on, play whatever you like, but on our last trip last month, some guy was on the beach with a boom box turned up loud playing the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, etc. Being a muscian, I like all types of music, but when I'm in Jamaica lying on the beach, I wanna hear the sounds of Jamaica, Bob Marley, the beach musicians, the ocean, not the music mentioned above, it totally ruined our calm, soothing, relaxing beach vibe. I believe, to each his own, just don't impose upon others. We actually had to move up the beach a little ways, rather than "nicley" telling the guy to turn it down, which would normally be my first reaction, lol, but hey, we're all on vacation, all is good. So with that being said, why not download some Reagae music, Bob Marley, Shaggy, anything from Island Soul on vh1 on tv, & you'll see how much of a part the music will have in enjoying the true island experience. Just my humble opinion, not meant to offend or discredit anyone.

Default Music...

Hey mb9fan,

You can click on this link, http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=me , and check out the song "Going To Jamaica". You might like it, you might not? I do...

Have a good one and enjoy!

Later......... Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofthebeach View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I will say this. If you keep your earphones on, play whatever you like, but on our last trip last month, some guy was on the beach with a boom box turned up loud playing the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, etc. Being a muscian, I like all types of music, but when I'm in Jamaica lying on the beach, I wanna hear the sounds of Jamaica, Bob Marley, the beach musicians, the ocean, not the music mentioned above, it totally ruined our calm, soothing, relaxing beach vibe. I believe, to each his own, just don't impose upon others. We actually had to move up the beach a little ways, rather than "nicley" telling the guy to turn it down, which would normally be my first reaction, lol, but hey, we're all on vacation, all is good. So with that being said, why not download some Reagae music, Bob Marley, Shaggy, anything from Island Soul on vh1 on tv, & you'll see how much of a part the music will have in enjoying the true island experience. Just my humble opinion, not meant to offend or discredit anyone.
    I would like to say that I totally agree with this post. Well said Sonofthebeach.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I plan on playing the music in my ears on the plane and in my room. I too only want to hear the beach sounds at the beach.

One suggestion I would make is to do a search here because there are multiple threads every few weeks on this subject. You could find a lot of suggestions on those threads.

I definitely agree that whatever you listen to keep it to yourself. I'm sure others wouldn't enjoy my Eric Clapton, SRV, James Gang, Rolling Stones, etc anymore than I would enjoy their Kanye West or JayZ.

Quote Originally Posted by EventplannerDC View Post
    There is a Hawaiian artist That has a fun, Islandy version of Somewhere over the Rainbow. Train, Crosby, Stills andNash, Wyclef Jean fill out my playlist, with of course Kenny Chesny and Bob Marley. I also like Van Morrison and UB40' on my vacation soundtrack. Excellent thread!
    The Hawai'ian you speak of is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, also known as IZ. He was an awesome man and a wonderful singer. Sad that he passed away so young, but his music is incredible!!

You definitely need more reggae! Check out Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Black Uhru (if I spelled that right), Damien Marley, Slightly Stoopid, and/or Pandora.com for more suggestions. A little Jimmy Buffet never hurt anyone either. I like to make special playlists that exclude some of my regular tunes to make it a little more islandy and special for the trip, so I'll be looking for other ideas too! Anyone have any steel pan/drum musicians they would recommend?

Jimmy Cliff and Toots & The Maytals are musts also. Stephen Marley's: Mind Control is really good. Especially the acoustic version of the album

Toots and the Maytals, really good reggae

Hey mb9fan,

Sorry about the bad link I posted above, try this one if you would like:

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/hom...ist=joedtaylor

Later......... Joe D.

We bought the Silverbirds CD and love it. They played at CN and brought the house down.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

OnoftheBeach knows chillaxin'... and his suggestion about keeping your personal home-based vibe to yourself... is common sense. When I'm paying premium $$ (well, premium to us, anyway) to experience our favorite JA vibe, the last thing I want to hear is some lout blasting Journey, Head East or White Snake for his or her personal beach party. This happened to us one time, also, and it was a real buzz-kill.

If you want your hair band party, you can do that with a case of suds in your back yard. When I'm toes-down in the sand, gimme some Bob, Peter, or any of the young rastas they've inspired. THAT'S Negril!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

When I made suggestions and responded earlier, my intent was with ear phones or the iHome unit in the room. I never intended for every guest to hear the play list! I can't stand that either - when people feel the need to share their sound tracks on vacation.

Allans Angel - I have that song on my iPod, but wasn't anywhere near it and instead didn't want to botch the name with all of those letters!

If you like Buffet and Zac Brown, you should check out Jack Johnson. Also, a must have is "Sweet Jamaica"...many have done this,but the best two versions I know of are by Mr. Vegas, with Josey Wales and Shaggy, and the other is by Yvad. Find them both on itunes.
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Currently playing on my iTunes "Jamaica Mix" since we just booked flights and waiting on our confirmation from the travel agent for rooms include:

several of the aforementioned (Zac Brown - Toes, Where the boat leaves from, Knee Deep w/Jimmy; Bob Marley - basically the entire legend CD; classic beach boys)
    Harry Nilsson - Lime in the Coconut
    Michael Franti & Spearhead - Shake it, Say Hey)
    Mr. Vegas/Shaggy/Josey Wales - Sweet Jamaica
    Clay Walker - live, Laugh and Love
    Garth - 2 Pina Coladas
    Sublime - What I Got
    Rusted Root - Send me on my way
    Sheryl Crowe - Soak up the Sun
    Some Black Eyed Peas and Katy Perry for the gym (shooting for -20 pounds)
    Micheal Buble, Norah Jones and Colbie Callait (for in the room relaxin')
    Steve Holy - Good Morning Beautiful
    Starlight Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight (insert giggles here)
    Sugarland - All I want to Do

I love having my iPod for the gym, the room and Definitely on the plane (or in the airport). I am going to have to pick up a Silverbirds CD this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Allans_Angel View Post
    The Hawai'ian you speak of is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, also known as IZ. He was an awesome man and a wonderful singer. Sad that he passed away so young, but his music is incredible!!
    Yep IZ is the guy. Big dude. We have his CD and it's wonderful. We also have Shyam's (Moses Beckford) cd's and listen to them when we want to relax. He's the guy that sings at the beach bonfires at CSA.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    ....... When I'm toes-down in the sand, gimme some Bob, Peter, or any of the young rastas they've inspired. THAT'S Negril!
    True, true, so true!!! Well said Chris!

May I also suggest a guy by the name of Eric Stone. He is an American living in the Virgin Islands. His style is definitely country but his songs are all about life in the Caribbean. Some are quite humorous. His website is www.boatsongs.com I downloaded his songs from itunes. Two songs I really like are "Welcome to Jamaica" and "Bomba's Shack". Enjoy your trip.
    Stay Irie, Mon!
    Dana & Mike

Anything Florence and the Machine... Mumford & Sons and Blue Six is good listening music too!! Have fun - we have 29 days and counting till we are back "home" at CTI.

My suggestion - leave the Kenny Chesney at home and bust out some newer reggae and Jamaican Dancehall:

Rum and Redbull - Beanie Man
    In Jamaica - Elephant Man
    Rompin' Shop - Vybz Kartel
    Tic Toc - Busy Signal
    Gimme Gimme - Beanie Man
    Starlight - Mavado
    Come Around - Collie Buddz
    Give dem some way - Damian Marley
    Hot - Ms Thing
    Hot Again - Ms. Triniti
    Give it up to me - Sean Paul
    Sexy Body Girls - Shaggy
    They don't know bawlin - Bounty Killer
    Slow and sexy - Shabba Ranks
    Blind to you - Collie Buddz
    Holiday - Ding Dong
    Inna Life - Laden
    I've got your man - Lady Saw
    Hot wuk - Mr. Vegas
    Big Ups - Ms. Triniti
    In his own words - Nas and Damian Marley
    Shout - Sean Paul
    Hotta - TOK
    Good Ride - Tanya Stephens

Note - don't play Rompin' Shop around the kids!

In addition to choices already named, Jason Mrax, Black-Eyed Peas, UB40, and Lauryn Hill for a Jamaican mood. I'm glad someone included Iz; I finally tracked him down for download after hearing him on the "Finding Forester" soundtrack.

I especially enjoy UB40's Irish reggae sound.

If you want some good reggae that's easy listening, go look into the works of Gregory Isaacs. Here's one example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJVFOcrqjQ

Good stuff...

Here's another Gregory Isaacs tune you might like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs9wkNcdfoA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast