Default How much money & which currency?

Hi there,
    My wife & I are arriving at CSA July 30 for 14 nights & we can hardly wait!!
    Weve been on this web site almost daily since we booked back in November & have been collecting as much info as possible. I know my questions have been asked numerous times but there seems to be conflicting advice.
    I think we will bring cash with us & have a debit card as back up, but just wondering how much money is typically enough? We will likely spend the days on the beach but may add in a round of golf or some other excursion. Our nights will also likely be at the hotel, but again we venture off a couple of times. I know peoples answers will likely vary, but just looking for a gauge!
    2nd question is what should we carry for currency? We already have some USD but wondering if its worth exchanging some/all for Jamaican currency before we arrive!
    Thanks in advance!

Besides the $300 that the resort hold on a credit card, we always bring $200-$300 which is usually enough for us. We usually pay for parasailing, and I usually buy a pair of shorts, bathing suit, souvenirs, etc from outside vendors (i'm dont think the resort takes cash). If you are planning on doing off resort excursions you might want to consider more but if you book them with the resoert I'm pretty sure you can use your credit/debit card. Worst case is you can always get more at the resort. They used to have an ATM but I think when we were there last year my husband said they didnt have the ATM anymore and he had to go to the cashier window to get cash, which is only open certain hours. It is in the main lobby upstairs.
    As far as exchanging currency we never did that. Every place and thing we have done always took USD. Hope this helps!

Personally, I'd rather carry a credit card rather than a debit card. Credit cards are...well..."safer".

When we go to an all-inclusive, we bring along cash for the trinkets we think we might buy should we go shopping off-site. We always carry some smaller bills for tipping the bell hops at the airport. Rarely do we carry more than $200 US total between the two of us though. If we find the need to spend more than that (heaven forbid), we use the credit card. Remember, you're going to an all-inclusive resort...

Most all the vendors in Jamaica accept US currency, so there is no need to exchange for J$. We have, just for fun, exchanged some US$ for J$...just to take home a petty amount of foreign currency.

USD is fine. Don't go to the trouble of exchanging unless you want to have some for a keepsake. As far as how much, it depends!!! Golf for both of you can run around $70 - $80 due to tips, drinnks and caddie fees. The spa can add up fast. If you plan to pay your finally bill for the things you charge at the resort you will need more of course. I think we took $400 our last trip and that was plenty but we didn't golf or go off site. Most of ours was from the spa. I think it is wise to always have a credit card for things that you might not plan on. It is good for emergencies.

As far as how much money to bring it really depends on what you do. Some people spend as little as $200 while others spend $2,000. I can't really answer the amount of money question. Just plan about $100/pp for any excursion you do and golfing.

As for currency, keep your US$ as it is preferred and bring small bills.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Default Take a credit card

When you check in at reception, the staff will ask you for a credit card - they swipe it but do not deduct any money until you depart. They will not accept a debit card as this will automatically deduct money straight away from your bank account. They will accept cash but you will not then have any money to spend whilst you are there. We have been to Sweptaway 15 times and got caught out with a debit card, luckily we had a credit card
    Enjoy
    JanDot

Just come back from CSS, we took $1,000 US dollars & spent $600 in two weeks. We didnt have a credit card swiped when we checked in as we dont have one we just settled our bill in cash. Major tourist areas accept US$, I did worry by not having jamaican dollars but I am glad I took US$ now as this seem to be mainly used.

Just come back from CSS, we took $1,000 US dollars & spent $600 in two weeks. We didnt have a credit card swiped when we checked in as we dont have one we just settled our bill in cash. Major tourist areas accept US$, I did worry by not having jamaican dollars but I am glad I took US$ now as this seem to be mainly used.
    What is there to close out? I thought everyone is was paid for up front? Are there hidden costs?

Just want to chime in on the debit card issue. I learned the hard way...use a credit card! I used my debit card a couple years ago and by the time I got home my account was wiped out. It would have been a lot less stress if I would have just used a credit card.

Most times, debit cards do not have the same safety measures in place as credit cards. In other words if someone gets your number and uses it, they can empty your bank account and there isn't anything that can be done about. So if you decide to go with your debit, check with your bank on this. Also, whatever you do, alert your bank to the fact that you are traveling so they don't decline transactions. As for cash, that depends on what you plan on doing. $100 pp, as stated above, is a good estimate of the cost of off resort excursions, jet skis, para sailing, etc., and including the tips for those as they are not part of Couples. You can look at spa prices on line and decide what if anything you may want and know the cost. Beyond that, it's pretty much dependent on how much shopping you want to do. What ever you decide, bring it in small bills and split it between you and your s/o. Rarely do the vendors have change and you will probably want $1 bills for tips off the resort/baggage handlers.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by greenieboy View Post
    What is there to close out? I thought everyone is was paid for up front? Are there hidden costs?
    If you make phone calls, purchases at the gift shop, spa services or make a selection from the extra wine list (the house white and red are included) those items will be charged to your room. There are no "hidden costs".
    Vicky

no hidden costs, but if you buy things at the resort gift shop, or spa, or rent a wet suit, you can charge that to the room. I had a $10 charge because i rented a wet suit

we always take 100 in 1s 100 in 5s and 100 10s and 100 in 20s for tipping and off resort excursions etc...
    Randi & Sherri
    (Pork Chop)

Things we brought from the giftshop & salon treatment we had.

Quote Originally Posted by randi&sherri View Post
    we always take 100 in 1s 100 in 5s and 100 10s and 100 in 20s for tipping and off resort excursions etc...
    One of the MANY reason why I love this message board so much is just the littlest ideas and tips like this one that for some reason as many times as we go to Couples some of us just never think of. We always bring a few hundred dollars but are always trying to get "change for a $20", etc. Well duh... why not bring $100 in 1's, 100 in 5's,...and so forth. Thanks for the tip!!