Default Should we add a day to the weddingmoon? BWI fliers input wanted.

I'm getting kind of nervous about our weddingmoon plans....

We're booked at CSA 5/13/12-5/23/12 and the wedding is scheduled for 5/16/12. My fiance works for SouthWest airlines, who bought and is integrating AirTran. We will get to fly to Jamaica for free, but we fly standby.

If there are BWI fliers out there who have flown on AirTran...Are the flights super full? I don't really care about us even getting on the same flight, just as long as we both get there. lol What I AM concerned about is the fact that we MUST be there before 4pm on 5/13 to meet the 72 hour residency requirement.

So...now I'm thinking that maybe we should go down on 5/12 instead. That way, if anything happens and one or both of us is arriving after 4pm, it will still be a day early. (We really want to keep the 5/16 wedding date, so pushing it back isn't an option...Plus, that would cost an extra $250 anyway, since we already reserved the date/time.)

It IS a nice chunk of change that would have to come out of our wedding budget somewhere else though....to go down for one extra night. We are already committed to $4,530 for the 10 nights. It would jump to $4,983 for the extra night. On the other hand, we could do 5/12-5/19 at CSA and do the next 4 nights (5/29-5/23) to CSS. That option would be $4,679....

What would YOU do???

If you really want the specific date, pay for the flight. Then you are guaranteed to get there. But, it looks like it's a difference of about $400 and change for the extra night (which is going to be WAY more than 2 flights to Jamaica), so you might just be better served going out the day before and paying the hotel stay. I doubt you'll come home wishing you hadn't gone a day early. ;-)

I would probably go a day earlier. Its better to be safe then sorry!

Debbie told us that they don't count down to the hour. So if you're in Jamaica before midnight you will be fine.

@Chris...I don't know where you're flying from, but flights from BWI to MBJ run $750-$1,000 for two tickets. I'd have to give up a night of my wedding-moon to cover the cost.

One other comment and I'm certainly not trying to be an a$$, but this is the second time I've asked a question and someone has suggested I pay for something that I can get for free....not happening. If it's a choice between paying an extra $400 for an extra night or paying an extra $800 for flights...I'm going with the extra night.

What my question really boiled down to was pay the extra $400+ for an 11th night at CSA, or split our 11 night trip--7 @ CSA and 4 @ CSS for only $150 more.....?

Stacie- check w debbie... If you can get there by midnight you wouldn't have to change a thing.

SnR<3....Thanks! I will!

Though, the more I think about it, Saturday is looking better and better. Fridays and Sundays are heavy flight days because of people who are just doing weekend trips. Saturdays are generally tame by comparison. We probably have a much better chance of getting on the first flight out on Saturday (together), than on Sunday. I could probably just change the reservation to 5/12-5/22, instead of 5/13-5/23. DUH! Why didn't I think of that? lol

Don't forget that you're planning this over Mother's day weekend and lots of people may be traveling. Not to be a debbie downer. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie & Chris View Post
    SnR<3....Thanks! I will!

Though, the more I think about it, Saturday is looking better and better. Fridays and Sundays are heavy flight days because of people who are just doing weekend trips. Saturdays are generally tame by comparison. We probably have a much better chance of getting on the first flight out on Saturday (together), than on Sunday. I could probably just change the reservation to 5/12-5/22, instead of 5/13-5/23. DUH! Why didn't I think of that? lol
    You might be surprised how booked a Saturday flight will be especially in the morning. Many people take Saturday/Saturday vacations and want the earlier the better flights. Just be prepared that you might not get out until the afternoon. But when flying back to the States, vacationers prefer the later flight out of MBJ, so you could end up on an early flight out of MBJ.

Lucky you for getting a free flight! I'm excited that SW has bought AT and look forward to the extended flight schedules. SW can't be beat!

And to answer your question, I'd pay the extra $400 and stay at CSA the entire time. Splitting between the resorts for so few days really eats up your beach time.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

How about going down a day before you are scheduled to arrive at Couples and staying that night in Montego Bay?

We are going to CN in February 2012 but arrive in MoBay 2 days before we go to Couples. Coming from New England if February, there could be a chance of airline delays or cancelations because of snow. We will spent the 2 nights in MoBay for about $100 a night. The day we are scheduled to go to CN, we'll head back to the airport and take TimAir to CN.

Yeah, I did realize it was mother's day weekend--another reason to go the 12th, instead of the 13th, IMO.

@Colorado...Actually, from our past experience flying standby, the very first flight out of the day is the easiest one to get one...even if it's fully booked, because someone will always over sleep and miss their flight. Plus, many people get to the airport 2 hours in advance. So, the idea of leaving the house at 2 or 3 am to get to the airport by 4am, isn't so attractive a notion. The flights from BWI to MBJ are at these times (all am): 6:00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:41, 8:45 and 10:00. The 8:41 and 10am are non-stop and they will fill up first. Also, the 6:00 and 7:30 both have long layovers and don't arrive in Jamaica until 3:05 pm (a non-stop is less than 4 hours). The 6:00 am will definitely be the last choice for anyone because you can get to the airport hours later and arrive in MoBay earlier.

@ John...Where in MoBay are you staying?

Obviously I'm like everyone else and would want to get to Jamaica as early as possible in the day, but it's free, so I know I can't look a gift-horse in the mouth. :-)

Stacie & Chris

We don't know yet, it's still 7 months (233 days, but who's counting) away, but we hear Toby's is a nice place to stay.

We are sort of in same boat..my fiance's dad works for American and we can fly standby for nearly free..i think we just pay the tax or something..but the 72hr thing scares me..we are scheduled to b at CSA on 6/10/12 which is a sunday..American only has ONE direct flight on friday, sat and sundays at 1030 am..the rest of the flights have major lay overs in Miami..so idk..hes willing to chance it and fly standby and Im a little scared!! 2 roundtrip tickets from Dallas are $1400!!!

EEK, that's a crappy schedule! Tell his Dad to see if he can buy buddy passes for Air Tran--ask around the airport. it would still be standby, but they have tons of flights. Alternatively, you could try to fly out a day early. I'm sure you could find someplace inexpensive to stay for one night in Montego Bay, surly cheaper than the $1400 airfare (it's about $900 from BWI)