Thread: Sleep Apnea

Default Sleep Apnea

My best friend (AKA Husband) and I will be at CSA in less than a week.(July 2-9) My question is about a CPAP machine that he needs at night for sleep apnea. He needs an outlet by the bed and distilled water. We are wanting to carry on our luggage, so we can't bring the half gallon or so of distilled water he needs for his machine for the week. I have called CSA and they told me to get there, and take a cab for the water. Anyone else have any suggestions? What if we shipped it done there (along with our sun screen) so that it is there when we get there?
    Thanks,
    Anna and Bill From Gainesville, GA

That's a good question... my parents are coming with us this year for the first time and my dad has a sleep apnea maching also. I havent really thought about the distilled water that he needs for it until now. Interesting... I would like some information on this also.

Default CPAP Machine

I too have Sleep Apnoea and use a CPAP machine and had the same concerns as you. However, as the duration was short, I checked with the Sleep Clinic and they said it would not be an issue to use 'normal' tap water. Indeed being a naughty boy () I can never remember to sort out distilled water and now more often than not use tapwater. The downside is there is a small residue which coats the humidifier but I find this easily cleans off if regularly dealt with by a simple scrubbing!

As far as outlets were concerned, we stayed in the Beachfront Suite at CSS and had no issues there, but cannot comment on CSA.

My biggest concern was due to horror stories of not being able to fly as I had medical equipment (transatlantic flight with Virgin). It appears in the early days of CPAP, crews were nervous, however a quick call to the Virgin desk sorted everything and the telephone reps response was a simple 'Oh CPAP, yes we get those regularly now, not a problem, I'll note it for the crew and you can take it on as an additional piece of hand luggage'.

I went armed with a 'fit to fly' note from the clinic just in case (depite the overnight flight, thankfully my condition is not serious enough to require CPAP in the air) but this was not needed and I found the additional item was already on the notes at check-in at both ends.

Having sampled Couples last year (previous been to 'S' resorts), we have been won over by the atmosphere and service so would be very suprised if they did not help with any problems you may have (eg extension cable). Suffice it to say we enjoyed it so much it's 137 days 22 hours 20 minutes until we take of again - not that we're counting...

The outlet is there next to the bed. I think for you to ship now and receive it in time would be very expensive. I think the best scenario is to obtain it in Jamaica. I am sure there is someone on staff that will help you out and direct you where to obtain the water.

I use a CPAP machine also. I took it with me to CSS and used the tap water. I have never used distilled water in my unit and have never had a problem. I do have well water at my house so that might make a little difference, but I would think he would be fine to use the water at CSA for the week. Shipping is not a good option due to cost and I don't think Couples allows items to be shipped to them.

[QUOTE=Annabilly;137112]My best friend (AKA Husband) and I will be at CSA in less than a week.(July 2-9) My question is about a CPAP machine that he needs at night for sleep apnea. He needs an outlet by the bed and distilled water. We are wanting to carry on our luggage, so we can't bring the half gallon or so of distilled water he needs for his machine for the week. I have called CSA and they told me to get there, and take a cab for the water. Anyone else have any suggestions? What if we shipped it done there (along with our sun screen) so that it is there when we get there?
    Thanks,

We have travelled to Jamaica 4 times with a CPAP. We just use the bottled water at the resort instead of distilled. It won't hurt the machine and it saves a lot of trouble. If for some reason the bottled water leaves a little mineral deposit in the tank, just use a little vinegar and baking soda when you get home. It will disolve the grime right away. Also, I'm not sure if you have travelled with the CPAP before so make sure that you take it as a carry on. We always tell security that it is a CPAP machine and they check it out. They are used to seeing them

It won't get there before you.
    Vicky

You can ship it... but I doubt it would get there in time. I'd check with the concierge to see if water can be obtained... if not, a cab to the market in downtown Negril will cost you more than the water to be sure... but how about this thought??

Would bottled water suffice? They do have bottled water available...

As for the outlet, be sure to pack an extension cord... I think that the lamps on the head of the bed have outlets on them, but just to be safe....

Enjoy...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I use a CPAP at CSA. With the humidity I have found I can easily forego the water. When I started with the machine I always used the water, but have since discovered it isn't worth the trouble. I use water now only for the driest winter days. YMMV.

That being said, before I stopped using water in my CPAP machine, the doctor told me that using bottled water was okay for short periods of time ( like vacation ).

Couples does not accept shipped packages for their guests, plus you wouldn't have time between now and then for the water to get there. A cab won't cost much and town is not too far away so it will be a short trip for you to go run and grab some.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

From the TSA website: Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

I would say call TSA and see if distilled water for the CPAP (with a doctor's note saying it's required) would qualify for a liquids exception.

Default CPAP Travels Well

DH cannot go without his CPAP for more than one night - we take it each time we go to Jamaica and for the short time there use tap water versus distilled. The outlets work fine and we always bring a short extension cord in case one not right by the night table. We have packed it in our hard shell suitcase and carried it on - of course TSA will take an extra look at your CPAP if carried on. No worries Mon - you will sleep - and so will your partner without the train snores

PS - When you are depressed and packing note to self - empty out the water tank or your CPAP is ruined!

If you really want distilled water, take tap water into a container and let it sit out for 24 hours without a top on it. Then it has become distilled water, that is what I do for my bamboo plants at home.

Ralph & Roberta
    Syracuse, NY
    COR 9/1982, CTI 9/2007, CTI 9/2009, CTI 9/2011