Default 5 days at CN... what to pack

DH and I are trying to figure out what clothing to bring. I know I need tons of swim suits. But what about the other stuff??? How many dresses for me? How dressy? What about dh? What will he need for evenings?

THANKS for your help!!! I'm so excited because we leave in 5 days! I just want to be there already.... not stressing over what to (wash) pack.

We were just there a few weeks ago...yes i took a suit for every day and i took 3 cover ups (could have stood to have another since they dont dry well in the rooms sometimes) and I took one dress for every night...mine were just summery dresses, i had one maxi dress, a couple were strapless and a little dressier maybe. You can go wrong with pretty summer dresses...and i just took a pair of pretty wedge sandals i wore almost every night. Your man will need to wear long pants and totally closed toed shoes to the Otaheite restaurant but the rest of the places my husband just wore nice button up shirts and cargo type shorts and sandals. He wore a polo shirt one night as well and it was all fine. The only time i wore shorts and a tshirt/top was the days i traveled...swimsuits and dresses were all i wore! Enjoy!!!

Do not take a lot of shorts and tops. You won't wear them.We went from bathing suit/cover-up to getting ready for dinner. Simple summer dresses are the most comfortable and easiest thing to throw on at night.

After you pack, just take about 1/2 of that out and that is what you will need. Someday I hope to make to carry-on only status.

Weíve been to Jamaica 19 times (always to a Couples resort) and have NEVER checked luggage. We prefer to stay at the resort and spend most of our time on the beach, so we spend most of our time in our swimsuits. We each take a carry-on bag, and I carry a tote bag as well that I use instead of a purse. Once at the resort, Iíll use the tote bag to carry our stuff (books/Kindle, iPods, sunblock) to the beach.

Hereís what we pack for a week (tweak as necessary):

For me:
    2 pairs of shorts
    2 tops that can be worn with either shorts
    3 sundresses
    4 bikinis
    1 sarong
    1 dress-style cover-up
    Running shorts
    Sports bra
    Yoga pants & top
    Socks
    Underwear
    1 pair of sandals with heels
    1 pair of flat sandals
    One pair pajamas
    Makeup (blush, eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick Ė I skip eyeliner b/c it runs
    and skip foundation b/c itís too heavy in the heat)
    Vacation jewelry

For Kev:
    2 pairs of shorts
    1 pair long pants
    2 polo shirts
    2 Hawaiian-style shirts
    4 swimsuits
    1 pair running shorts
    2 t-shirts
    Socks & underwear
    1 pair of sandals
    1 pair of shoes appropriate for Otaheite
    Pajamas

Other Stuff:
    Pens (for Immigration and Customs forms)
    Books Ė I have a Kindle, so I just dowload books to thatóit saves room
    Ipods & earphones
    Camera
    Cell phones
    Phone and iPod chargers
    Hairbrush & comb
    Toothbrushes
    Travel size water pick
    Travel size sound machine
    Electric shaver
    Sunglasses
    2 1-gallon Ziplock bags (for wet swimsuits when you pack up to return home) (they
    also have 2-gallon bags if you prefer)

2 1-quart baggies of liquids:

Sunblock (six tubes of 3-ounce sunblock fit in one one-quart baggie)
    Makeup remover, moisturizer, top coat nail polish, toothpaste, hair conditioner.

We buy things like shampoo & conditioner, after-sun lotion, additional sunblock, and any other things we might need from the sundries store. Itís more expensive to buy it at the resort than at home (although with some airlines now charging for checked bags, maybe not), but itís worth it to us. Always make sure you bring a few tubes of sunblock and at least a little hair conditioner with you. One year CN was out of all sunblock with an SPF higher than 8, and at CSS in August, 2009, they had NO hair conditioner.

We pack very little but have never needed more than this. We spend most of our time in our swimsuits, so we only wear an outfit for an hour or two at a time and donít mind wearing shorts, tops, sundresses, etc., more than once.

Most people tend to overpack and donít wear half of what they bring. One woman on the MB packed an entire suitcase just with shoes. I bring flat sandals that will go with the daytime outfits Iíve packed and sandals for the evening that I can wear with all three sundresses. Sometimes itís difficult to select exactly what to bring b/c Iím always buying things thinking, ďOh, this would be so great to wear in Jamaica,Ē but youíll be glad if youíre able to pack only what you need.

Have a great trip.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Suit for each day for the DW; 3 for 5 days for DH; 2 shorts DH; 3 shirts DH - 1 dressy; (pants if Otaheite); 1 casual and 1 dressy sundress for DW; 2 shorts; 1 capri; 4 tops - 2 casual 2 dressy; 1 cover up and lots of lingergie - from Mrs. King Melon

We also carry on and our list is much like what Pamela posted. We live in swimsuits by day and rinse out work out clothes after each use so we only pack a couple of sets. I wear dresses to dinner and bring shoes (dressy mid heel sandals and flat sandals) that I can wear with them all.

We like the freedom and ease of carry on and find that we always have plenty to wear. I read a lot so bring paperbacks - one per day - that I then donate to the guest library. It lightens the load on the way home.

We also travel with a netbook (me) and camera gear (my husband) and that goes in a backpack that we each take in addition to a 22 inch rollaboard.

Enjoy!

I think it's all been said, but you really don't need too many shorts/tops combos. Sun up to sun down is spent in a swim suit. We usually just get dressed for dinner and then might go for an after dinner dip in the ocean or one of the hot tubs. Just writing about it all makes me more excited to return! You will LOVE it! Seriously, my husband said (after our first trip), I thought it was going to be good, I just didn't realize it would be this good! We are heading back for our third time in a month.

I wanted to thank Pamela for her great list she posted a few years back...really no need to worry!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011