Thread: SSB Question

Default SSB Question

Hi everyone,

We are loyal CN fans and are seriously considering CSS for our next trip in March 2012. We love CN (and CSA) because of the fabulous beach, where we spend most of our time. We've shyed away from CTI and CSS because the beaches don't seem to compare to Negril. BUT...after reading these boards it appears SSB is more our style...powdery sand and water suitable to float all day. Is that the case? For those of you who have been to both, what do you think?

Thanks!!!
    Kristen

Kristen - We have been to CSA twice, and went to CN with Trading Places both times, and have stayed at CSS 3 times, and twice over to CTI with Trading Places. CSS has stolen our hearts! Send us an e-mail, if you'd like, and we'll send you lots of information on CSS and SSB, and a comparison with it and the beaches of Negril. It would be far too long to put on the message board! LOL We'll also send you some pictures too!
    (Karen&Paul)

The beach at CSS is deep with soft deep sand, but getting into the ocean is not like CN. There are rocks for a few feet out and the water is a bit chilly from the river rushing into the ocean. We found the current to be a bit strong and if you weren't careful would push you quite a bit out into the ocean. Once you get past the river and the rocks, the water is warm, but the bottom of the ocean has sea grass. It does make for some fun snorkeling, but the stuff grosses me out.

Now, the pool at CSS is what makes the beach so awesome. We loved the pool. It is big enough that you can take a floatie in the pool and float around.

We love CN and being able to float for hours in the ocean. We found that we couldn't do that at CSS, but the pool sufficed. I will say that we love both resorts and will return to both, but you can't beat the beaches in Negril.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I wouldn't call the sand "powdery" on Sunset Beach, and I would recommend that you bring water shoes. The ocean floor as you enter the water is very rocky. Someone on this MB has said it's sandy beyond the rocky area, but we didn't get out that far.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Hey Karen tried to find your e-mail and couldn't. Would like to have some info on CSS. Contact me if you will. Thanks

KarenON...would love your info and photos. I can't find your email, so here's mine. kkramer@thekramergroup.com

Sorry, forgot to put our e-mail address in to the post!!

Contact us at pellis4@cogeco.ca !
    (Karen&Paul)

Thanks for all the info and photos KarenON! Pretty much sealed the deal for us. Last week of March 2012 here we come!!!

Default KarenON, I am trying to decide between the AN beach at CN and CSS / SSB

Quote Originally Posted by KarenON View Post
    Kristen - We have been to CSA twice, and went to CN with Trading Places both times, and have stayed at CSS 3 times, and twice over to CTI with Trading Places. CSS has stolen our hearts! Send us an e-mail, if you'd like, and we'll send you lots of information on CSS and SSB, and a comparison with it and the beaches of Negril. It would be far too long to put on the message board! LOL We'll also send you some pictures too!
    We're trying to decide between AN beach at CN or CSS / SSB. Is it true that the CSS / SSB water is colder and rockier. We could do without the pool as we're not looking to socialize as much as relax and enjoy the Caribbean. Also, I've heard that the sand and beaches are nicer in Negril. It's also a little closer to the airport. But would appreciate your opinion and some pictures if possible.

Thanks!
    (btwood@cableone.net)

All this talk abut 'colder' or even 'cold' water at CSS is going a bit too far and may be putting people off or causing undue worry for someone already booked. It would be acceptable to say that, because of the river, there is a very slightly lower temperature than the textile beach but when you get into the water at the textile beach it is much shallower and you need to walk some way to be able to 'bathe'. When temperatures are around the 30 degree mark then the fact that the water around SSB is a little cooler is a blessed relief and we must be careful not to over emphasise the coolness of the water. From a Brits point of view the water is pretty perfect and let's be honest I'd rather be swimming at SSB than pretty much anywhere else in the world! Yes?

My wife and I probably bathed in the lagoon area next to the beach (which is all river water) more often than we went into the sea, but then we are Brits and have experienced the English Channel where, even in Summer, it is a decidedly chilly. 'Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!'

While we haven't been to Negril yet, I'll leave my comments on SSB

The sand at SSB is not exactly the fine, powdery sand you may be expecting, but it is soft. As you go into the water there is some gravel sections and cooler water flowing from the river. Now being from the northeast, we don't find the water to be cool at all, but perhaps in the mid 70's which is what we are used to. Once you move away from the flow, the water goes back into the 80's. Its fun and refreshing to walk through and feel the difference. Once you move past the river, there is some grass, urchins, sandy spots, its all there, so I advise water shoes.

Floating all day may get you into some trouble if you aren't paying attention. The current can and will take you out to sea, but its not so difficult that you can't swim against it.

As CO Juli said, its the pool that really makes SSB so different from Negril. So go and enjoy - post back your opinion.