Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How much do you spend on airfare?

We have booked our return trip to CSA for 10/10-10/16 and are so excited. However, the current airfare prices are really making my stomach turn! We normally pay about $800-$900 round trip for the two of us to fly from our hometown (Mobile, AL) and we normally book those about 6 weeks before our trip. I first looked at prices for this year's trip a couple weeks ago and they were about $1100 for the both of us. Not too terribly bad, but I thought I would wait because certainly they would only come down from that price, right? WRONG! As of yesterday the price had gone up to a little more than $1450 for both of us!!! I am going to keep holding out in hopes that prices come back down a bit in the next few weeks, but am wondering how much is too much to pay for flights?

How much do you typically pay for flights? Have you paid more this year?

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

We usually spend about $450 per person to travel from Chicago to Montego Bay. I have been watching prices for a December trip and see they just dropped significantly ($700 to $400). Perhaps they will for Mobile soon too (?).

I did a quick look and see flights from Pensacola are less than Mobile. Is this an option for you?

Have a good trip.

Prices are up this year. I dont think we have every paid over $350 a ticket out of NY, DC, or Baltimore (it all depends on where we are at the time...lol). But this year we ended up paying close to $450 a ticket out of Baltimore. They went down under $400 for like a week and I was hoping they would keep going down but instead they went back up. Our trip is 10/28-11-7 and I was tired of stressing over it so we just bought them before they went up higher. Plus we wanted the straight flight to MoBay that get there at 11:15am and it was almost full. Its hard to say whether they will go back down. Some people say that the closer it gets they could go down cause they want to fill the flights. But our TA has said that the flights are filling up pretty good. Hopefully they go down for yoU!

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

yes more this year with price of gas economy etc...might try out of atlanta or other towns even with a hotles stay somtimes it still cheaper. we payed 548 per person from charlotte
    Randi & Sherri
    (Pork Chop)

Have pity on us Brits and rejoice in the fact that you are in US of A and the Caribbean is your local playground. For us it is proper big money! Mind you, we HAVE to go for two weeks to make it worthwhile. ;-)

We traveled from Seattle, sprung for first class and booked separately from the hotel reservations. That added up to A LOT spent on airfare... $2400. ouch.

Last year, for our November trip to CTI, we paid about $800.00 for both of us. For our upcoming July trip, the air went up to $1200.00 for both. The airlines are raising their rates faster than ever. I have been in the travel business for more than 20 years, and I'm still trying to figure out how the airlines come up with the pricing for their flights... don't think I'll ever get there though!

Back "home" in 14 days!!!

Try another airport? We live in fort myers fl. $1000 rt for the two of us. We decided to check Miami (hr and a half drive from ft myers) a little under $500 rt for both.

We usually pay around $450 per round trip ticket. I haven't looked recently, but I do know that prices have gone up with the cost of gasoline rising. I would get on Yapta.com and use their price alert function so you can watch the prices and see when they move and decide then if you want to buy the tickets.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I guess its too much when you can no longer afford it. Getting there is a necessary part of the vacation and its budget... so I guess that's up to you. Let me put it this way... if I told you $2000 a person was too much... would you pay $1999? You'd certainly say... "Who IS this guy?".
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

previously have paid 360-500 (from MEM) round trip. This time we paid 600.

Man, that sucks. Booked in March, I paid 1,004 for our flight from San Francisco. 209pp each way. 5 years ago, it was 800 or so. Either way, the flight to MJB is cheaper for us than a flight to the east coast most of the time!

The flight cost part of our trip from the UK works out to about US $1500 each cattle class, US $2500 Premium Cattle if that makes you feel any better.

aurxdoc05,
    We usually fly out of Mobile, Gulfport or New Orleans. This year the prices are so high we are driving to Orlando then flying to MBJ. We have family in Orlando so just made it a two in one trip but the rates out of Orlando were way less expensive than even New Orleans.

Going in September and we paid $600.00 pp (all taxes and fees included) but we're leaving from a small airport in Texas and have to work our way to a hub. I'm sure it would have been cheaper if we started in Dallas or Houston.

We usually pay about $800 for both of us in Dec. rt from MSP. Yes, they have gone up, but I am holding out a few more weeks, since the "specials" Travelocity sends me are only available through Nov. 15 as of now. I will pay whatever it takes, I guess, but in my mind, $1000 is my top budget figure.

For those of you coming from Britain (or any other areas outside the US, for that matter), bless you! I think the trip to Couples with my SO is worth it at much more than the cost we pay, but we will wait for a few more weeks to see what the airlines do. Checking twice a day in hopes that we will see a good drop! I wouldn't mind driving to another nearby airport, but the hubby will be getting off late the night before we leave, so leaving out of the airport that is 5 minutes from home is a convenience he would rather not give up. We will see though! Thank you for your input!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

2 years ago we paid $375.00 PP PLUS a total of about $175.00 in baggage fees for a total of $925.00 out of BWI (Baltimore) non-stop

This year we are paying $428.00 PP PLUS a total of about $80.00 in baggage fees for a total of $936.00 out of BWI (Baltimore) non-stop

We priced Philly (PHL) which was slightly more.

This is a 2 week vs 10 day trip. I told hubby we WILL only be taking 1 bag each.

The past two years I have paid $350 each to fly through Little Rock. I have not booked this years because the tickets are $800 each. We leave in less than two months. I am waiting as long as possible.

I just looked online and for the 2 of us to fly from YYZ direct in economy is $2,000 - if we make one stop it's $1,700 total.

Quote Originally Posted by SnR<3 View Post
    Try another airport? We live in fort myers fl. $1000 rt for the two of us. We decided to check Miami (hr and a half drive from ft myers) a little under $500 rt for both.
    We found the same to be true for us. We live in SW Ohio and have found it's cheaper to fly out of Dayton than Cincinnati. Flight was purchased in April for our September trip, and the cost was $880 for both of us.

rae_Dave,

I live in MN, and as of yesterday, according to matrix.itasoftware.com, roundtrip airfare from MSP for March 2012 ran about $450 total per person. That is $100-$150 lower than it was about a month ago.

We are lucky since we aren't too far away, located in FL. Our first trip we flew from Tampa to Miami. It was pretty cheap, around $250 pp round trip, but on the way back both of our flights were delayed several hours so it was an all day affair for 2 flights. We decided to pay extra to do a direct flight from Orlando this year, which cost about $300 pp but was so worth it.

We fly out of Minneapolis and in the past we paid about 400 PP during peak season(Feb-March)for a direct flight. This year we went in April so we saved on our hotel but paid 500 Pperson and had to change planes. Disappointng!

Quote Originally Posted by Irie at CN View Post
    I just looked online and for the 2 of us to fly from YYZ direct in economy is $2,000 - if we make one stop it's $1,700 total.
    WOW! That is NUTS! Our friends fly out of YYZ to MBJ all the time with charters. The charter/package is about $2300.00 pp (NON COUPLES) for 14 nights.

I pulled up some prices on expedia.ca.....WestJet is offering a nonstop/direct for $1200.00 (total for 2)in August. A bit more reasonable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast