Default Couples Negril Report - June 18 - 25, 2011

Hi Everyone!
    I just wanted to give an update on our first trip to a couples resort and my perspective since I found this board so helpful when I was planning.
    First of all, let me tell you about us.....I went to celebrate my 50th birthday with my husband. We travel to Jamaica or Mexico once or twice every year and have been to numerous all inclusive resorts.
    We flew Delta from Atlanta to Montego Bay on a Saturday. We were pleasantly surprised at the no wait to process through immigration in MB. We arrived in the Couples Lounge in record time and loved the welcome bar for a cold red stripe. We barely got to meet a few new friends when it was announced our van was ready.
    We arrived at Couples Negril and were greeted warmly by a host who quickly took care of our check in....and served us some cold champagne!
    We were shown to our room on the garden side, building three, ground floor near the tennis courts. Our room was comfortable, (actually nicer than I expected) very cold AC, a little musty smelling....
    We waited on our bags to arrive (about 5 min.) changed into our suits and hit the beach!!
    Bloody Bay is absolutely gorgeous! The water is the most beautiful shades of turquoise and so clear!
    The resort lay out was exactly as I expected due to all my research on this site! We loved the coziness of the property and how convenient every thing was!
    We headed back to our room to get ready for dinner and discovered one of my only issues with this trip! After unpacking, I saw that my brand new bottle of expensive perfume was missing! I typically do not bring perfume with me while traveling, however, my husband loved this fragrance and had just bought it for my birthday....I had wrapped it in wash cloths and had it in my toiletry bag inside my large suitcase. I have no way of knowing when it was taken...could have been at the ATL Airport or the Montego Bay Airport or when it was being brought to our room at the resort or while we were at the beach..... Lesson learned....I won't bring this item with me again!! I did report it to the front desk at CN but they did not seem to understand what I was saying and said if it shows up in lost and found they would let me know!!!

Things we loved:
    Meeting new friends from all over, Wonderful Food (best of any place we have been), Loved Lychee!!, drinks in the Piano Bar were the best (female bartender made me the best lemon drop martini ever!), the Beach!, the ice cream at the beach grill (don't wait until the last day like we did to try), the strolling musicians on the beach, the internet cafe (kept us in touch with our family), the Catamaran boat ride, the Steel Drum Band!!, Watching all the beautiful weddings, The bonfire night - the music was incredible!

Things we learned:
    Don't take expensive perfume (LOL), We will not go again in June (rainy season and no lobster) it rained every day the week we were there most all afternoon, Do not put a suitcase under the air conditioner unit (it leaked into my husband's suitcase and everything was soaked!!) Wash all your clothes when you get home (they have the musty smell of the room on them)

Will we go back? Maybe, Maybe not? - we love trying new places....We did have a great time....We have been to more luxurious resorts, and more exciting/fun resorts but overall CN is a great overall package and we were very pleased (if the weather would have been more cooperative) with our vacation. The week we were there were many, many young honeymooners which we loved meeting....however, our age group was in the minority. I'm sure this differs widely from week to week.

Hope this helps any of you making decisions on your next trip!!

Thanks for the review.We are scheduled for 2/24-3/4/2012. Not the first time in Jamaica ,Couples or Negril but our first time to Couples Negril.Your review made us more excited.We have had items lifted over the years on trips and mostly on ones to or from Jamaica. Just made us smart packers. Thanks again! Dwight

We have made ten trips to Jamaica CN and have never ever had anything taken. Stealing by the TSA is well documented problem. Maybe you could take a small sample size perfume or powder or lotion and take it in your carry on. We have left very expensive camera equiptment, money, jewelry at CN and have never had it touched.

From the way you say the perfume was packed and past experience it most likely was removed on a bag checkby TSA.

If you go back to a Couples Resort, you should try CSA next time. The beach is just as beautiful but it's set up like a small village and has the most restaurant and bar choices of all of them. Thank you for your review. Too bad about the perfume.

Thanks for all of your responses. Yes, I really believe that the perfume was not taken at the resort....I am sure that we will definitely consider another couples property for our next adventure in Jamaica!
    Happy Travels everyone!