Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tropical Depression next week???

Okay, I've been patiently waiting for three months, and we are only 6 days away from arriving, but now...I'm freaking out! Will we receive any notification from Couples on the tropical depression's approach? I have trip insurance, but I would be so devastated if we have to cancel, but even more so if we get stuck in a storm... anything to share?

Well I have been to Jamaica when there was a hurricane warning. I beleive it was hurricane Emily about 4 or 5 years ago?? It sounds very scarry but it was really OK! We were handed evacuation instructions just in case. They cut off all alcahol so no one would be intoxicated. They boarded up all glass windows and moved dining into areas that would be safer. Turned out that all it did was rain like hell for the entire day. It did thunder and lighting and wind, but I am from the midwest and used to storms so it was just like a good old fashion midwest thunderstorm. They also told us to not go into the ocean for 24 hours as some dangerous sea life may wash up. The day before the hurricane was sunny and nice as well as the day after. It only spoiled one day and in fact we ended up having some fun times that day as we all hung out indoors and played games and got to know each other. We often talk about that day/trip and how interesting and fun the day ended up being. Dont worry everything will be fine!!!

You shouldn't be freaking out. You booked your trip at the height of Hurricane Season, so a Tropical Depression that may or may not hit the island, which is how it looks at this point, isn't that serious.

Sending best wishes to the people of Jamaica who live through these storms every year, facing destruction and loss - and survive -

I've never been to Jamaica, but I have been on the east coast of the US when one hit and right after one went by (Charlie a couple years ago). There is a lot of rain for about a day but the weather is absolutely beautiful right after. The ocean is very smooth and the storm seems to take a lot of humidity out of the air.

Like you I am only 5 days (and 19 hours) from heading to Jamaica so I have been watching the weather. Right now I am not going to get in a panic about it. Right now it is nothing but a low pressure and could develop into a depression, but might not. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it may not. The good news is that it may just turn north and completely by-pass us.

As long as you have "cancel for any reason" insurance you will be fine. I know how hard it is to think of changing your dates or having to wait longer, but that is always a possiblity.

For us, we are still going to go, unless the day before the low becomes a full blown hurricane headed right for Jamaica. I figure a rain in paradise is better then no paradise at all.

I live in the south and have been through several hurricanes in my years. A tropical depression is nothing more than a thunderstorm so no need to freak out at this point. According to NOAA.gov the system that is closest has a very low potential of developing into anything more. If it stays the way it is it will just be a lot of rain but should be away from Jamaica by the time you arrive. Just keep an eye on the weather, the NOAA site is really good. There are 2 other systems out in the Atlantic that you may want to keep your eye on just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by bellyblue22 View Post
    Okay, I've been patiently waiting for three months, and we are only 6 days away from arriving, but now...I'm freaking out! Will we receive any notification from Couples on the tropical depression's approach? I have trip insurance, but I would be so devastated if we have to cancel, but even more so if we get stuck in a storm... anything to share?

Belly what is there to freak out about ? you are traveling to a part of the world that for the past 100 years has registered tropical storms and hurricanes like clock work for the better part of auguust and september. I would contact my TA and ask them why you were not made aware of this weather norm.
    You can also look at rebooking during the dryer month like february. enjoy your trip ... and concentrate on getting your " freak" on, not freaking out ...

Default Tropical Depression

We were at Couples Negril last August when Tropical Storm Gustav came through. We were suppose to leave on Thursday and that is the day the storm arrived. Our flight home was cancelled both Thursday and Friday so we got to stay two additional nights at CN. We were given a reduced rate but did have to pay at checkout and then our travel insurance reimbursed us later. Like others said it was just alot of wind and rain and the staff at Couples Negril were great about informing us about everything going on. We did lose power off and on and all restaurants were closed except for one. It really wasn't bad at all we still had a good time you just have more people centrally located in this situation. But it didn't stop us from booking in August again we'll be at Couples Tower Isle in 7 days so I understand your concerns but there is really nothing to worry about once you get there you will be fine and rest assured that the airlines won't fly into the weather if is bad.

Been through 3 hurricanes in Negril... no worries mon it's Jamaica.

A tropical depression??? a little rain, a lightening show and boom boom.

Relax

TD#3? That patch of crap will be long gone by next week. TD#1 is WAAAAYYYY out there with not much form yet. TD#2 is the biggest threat of turning into something to think about and it is still off the coast of Africa. Lots of blue water to cross and anything can happen. STOP LOOKING and you will not be worried about something that right now is nothing....SIX days to CSS!!! HERE we come...rain or shine, but mostly shine.

I thought a tropical depression is what you got when you had to leave a Couples resort....

thanx everyone...i guess "freakin out" was a little exagerated; just concerned is all, but thanx to you all, i'm gonna chill out n get ready! 4 more days!!!!

One of my best memories from last year at CSA was when a massive downpour hit. I sat on my porch, reading a book, smoking a cigar, and drinking from the minibar, not able to see more than 2 feet off the porch due to rain. Lasted about an hour, beautiful for the rest of the day :P

Going back in a week and not concerned in the slightest, just hope we get out of Maimi on time.

going to csa, our first trip to jamaica, aug 17-22. am doing a little anti-rain dance here in my room right now, praying to the gods to spare us from anything too nasty, weather wise.

Which resort are you headed too bellyblue?

@ Blondie - CSA from 18th to 23rd

I'm headed to CSA Tuesday AM! I haven't even looked at the weather and don't plan to (well, not true...I will make sure our flights aren't cancelled or going to potentially be cancelled due to weather but that peek won't happen until Monday night!). I'm not at all worried. It's just weather. Sure it's more violent in some places but unless it's a huge hurricane then it's no big deal. I drove the whole east coast last year from PA to the OBX/NC in Tropical Sotrm Hanna. It was a horrid drive, so much rain, but in the end it was just rain with some pretty intense wind. This time around I won't be driving so who cares! Definitely No Worries, just drink some rum!
    http://tinypic.com/a/19if6/3 - pix from CSA 8/18-8/25

I completely agree with everyone else. I wouldn't worry about it and even if it did hit, it would not be strong and be gone the next day. But if you want to put your mind a little more at ease, check out www.stormpulse.com. Its a website that tracks all of the North American storms and gets feeds straight from NOAA. Its a very cool site with a lot of different tools. Click on Ana and then turn on the forecast models in the top right corner. Almost all of the models have this storm turning north and missing Jamaica. Now have a drink for me next week.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    going to csa, our first trip to jamaica, aug 17-22. am doing a little anti-rain dance here in my room right now, praying to the gods to spare us from anything too nasty, weather wise.
    We will be there on the 17th too so u aren't alone in ur rain dance

I'm going to give the same advice I give every year-you HAVE to read the "Discussion" for each storm on the NOAA NWS Hurricane Center site. Don't just look at the 5 Day Track Map. When you read the discussion the forecasters get into the model spread on both track and intensity, and in plain language lay out their rationale for and confidence in their forecasts. When it's a SWAG, they tell you it's a SWAG, and they are always clear about the vagaries trying to predict a path and intensity beyond 48-72 hours.

I'm joining in on the anti-rain/storm dance!! Getting married at CSA Aug. 25th, or at least we hope so! Oh, the irony.....

well, i'm supposed to leave this Tuesday, and am really disappointed now with Anna and Bill on their way. I do not have Cancel for Any Reason, which I thought I did. Gonna call my insurance and see what can be done. I don't want to fly during bad weather or be there durning a hurricane.

csa

Default No prob

Like "sunnync", we were at CN last August during Gustav. We got married two days before. I never felt in danger, a few points during the night, I thought MAYBE a window would break but other than that it wasn't a big deal. We were in Jamaica 3 years ago when a hurricaine was predicted then also, closed the airport, "had" to stay an extra night but it never even rained. I thought the post was interesting where the person said alcohol was cut off. I've never had that happen. We will be heading to CTI this Friday, can't wait!!!!!

Beach Bum ~ Thanks for the site. I bought a new computer this past January and lost all of my bookmarks for hurricane sites. Now if I could find the one that is some type of underground weather forecaster site that has chat with actually people living on the islands in the Caribbean so you get a first hand look at what is going on.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast