Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Clothing Concerns

My boyfriend and I are tshirt and flip flops kinda couple. I know we need to dress up for a couple of the restaurants. Can he wear a polo with khakis? How about crocs...are those considered flip flops?

We were at CSA last month. I was a bit concerned about the whole dress code issue. I went out and bought several new outfits and sandals. Now I wish I would not have done that. It turned out to be much more casual then I thought it would be. Of course feathers was under dress code and inforced, but the other resturants seemed really casual!!! Yes a nice collared polo and kahki dress slacks would be fine. I am not sure about the crock thing??

I wear a Polo with khakis to most of the "dress up" events, but I wouldn't be caught dead in Crocs...ever. I usually bring a pair of light, flat dress shoes.

A smart polo shirt (as it has a collar) and khaki pants sound OK, but crocs don't sound appropriate. Think of what you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home. Doesn't need to be shirt and tie, but, I couldn't imagine wearing a pair of crocs.

A polo golf shirt and khaki's for 8 rivers is the only place your husband will need to wear pants and regular shoes, not flip flops, husband wears boat shoes. All other restaurants you can wear shirt and shorts and sandals or flip flops. I just usually wear sun dresses as that is what I am most comfortable in, the cooler the better.

From the FAQs:

What is the dress code?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal [not really; in the U.S., "semi-formal" for men means a suit] – summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed.

From the Couples brochure:

Be sure to pack lots of light and comfortable clothing—and remember to include a few nice items to wear at night! We like to think we’re pretty casual, but there are a few minor dress requirements. When dining in any of our restaurants—besides the laid-back Beach Grill—during the evening hours, we request that you keep your sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, and tank tops in your room. And while casual elegance is the preferred style at most of our restaurants, we request a slightly more upscale look at [the gourmet restaurant]. Men are asked to wear slacks, collared shirts, and closed shoes, while dresses, skirts, or dress pants are requested for ladies.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

How about crocs...are those considered flip flops?

No, they're worse

they only require shirt w/ colar and closed toe shoes in (1) restaurant at CN & CSS, I wear my crocs all the time.

I have seen people in t-shirts, sandals and shorts in many of the restaurants at night.

folks just a public service announcement there is a "SEARCH" function for this message board and it works very well.
    If you use it for lets say "dress code" you will be amazed at what is returned..... Randy what number of identical weekly queries are required for it to be a topic to get a sticky... I am surpised the people who answer dont get tired of typing the same thing lol....

thanks everyone. steverandlinda - keep in mind that alot of people are new to this message board and don't know all the ins and outs as those of you who spend alot of time on here. honestly, it's not the easiest read and sometimes replies seem a bit rude or sarcastic.

i was asking about crocs because there are some dressier versions that look good with shorts. i would die if he wore them with khakis!!

thanks again....can't wait to be on jamaican time!

The first night we were at CSS, my husband had on a t-shirt at the Bella Vista, on the beach, and was asked to please put on a collared shirt. His shorts were ok, but he needed a collared shirt. The other two restaurants I believe require long pants and collared shirts.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    folks just a public service announcement there is a "SEARCH" function for this message board and it works very well.
    If you use it for lets say "dress code" you will be amazed at what is returned..... Randy what number of identical weekly queries are required for it to be a topic to get a sticky... I am surpised the people who answer dont get tired of typing the same thing lol....
    Play nice.

Sometimes the "weather" and "shoes/dress" type threads do get a bit redundant, but I'd rather answer a question or link to it to save someone potential heartache.

We actually have a rule on the forums I help run that if you tell someone they should attempt a search without providing a link, you will feel Moderator wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Play nice.

Sometimes the "weather" and "shoes/dress" type threads do get a bit redundant, but I'd rather answer a question or link to it to save someone potential heartache.

We actually have a rule on the forums I help run that if you tell someone they should attempt a search without providing a link, you will feel Moderator wrath.
    heartache? LOL BRILLIANT
    by the way i did ask the moderator what the criteria was for having something become a sticky if you know would appreciate you sharing thx

as per your suggestion

the link to the search
    http://couplesjamaica.biz/mb/search.php?do=process

The great thing about CSA (I've only been there) is that there are dining options for everyone. If you just love your Crocs and your SO loves their casual wear, then no problem - you can eat dinner at the Palms every night and really and truly NEVER have a bad meal! You'll be limiting yourself as to your other dining options, but honestly there is enough variety at the Palms that if you really hate dressing up you'll still have a great meal every single night you're there. If you want to try something a bit different, it doesn't take a lot of space for men to bring a pair of dockers shoes and a pair of long pants and collared shirt, and us girls just need to pack a cute sundress and sandals (with a shawl for Feathers). You may want to just have this as insurance in case you want to try something a little different.

The important thing to know is that Couples caters to everyone - just don't go there thinking you'll be able to get in everywhere unless you have the appropriate attire....It's all up to you!!

Enjoy - you're going to a place that is second only to heaven (I think)....

Default Ok - Another Similar Question - and I've read the website

Ok - we're heading to CSS in October (yahoo!) Having been to CN numerous times, I'm finding it hard to believe that I have to make dinner reservations for 2 out of the 3 restaurants and have to tell my husband to wear pants for dinner almost every night? We have never run into anything like this at CN - can anyone clarify? Thanks!

look here.... for your answer....regarding CSS dining....

http://couples.com/14cs/44diningCS.htm

well, i'm packed, and not worried. all fit nicely on a carry on. my SO will bring one pair of dress shoes, khakis, and polo so we can try feathers. he will do shorts with a polo and nice leather flip flops for the other places, and some tshirts...and somehow or another, i think it will all work out fine. i am bringing 3 casual sundresses that can be dressed up with cute slides, one pair of khaki capris, 2 shorts, 3 tank tops, 3 cotton shirts, one pair of jeans, 4 bathing suits, 2 cover ups, 1 beach flip flops, 1 dressier flip flops, 3 dressier pair of shoes. sounds like alot, but really, it's the lightest i've ever packed! i still have some space left in my carry on! only 1.5 days left!

Quote Originally Posted by bellyblue22 View Post
    well, i'm packed, and not worried. all fit nicely on a carry on. my SO will bring one pair of dress shoes, khakis, and polo so we can try feathers. he will do shorts with a polo and nice leather flip flops for the other places, and some tshirts...and somehow or another, i think it will all work out fine. i am bringing 3 casual sundresses that can be dressed up with cute slides, one pair of khaki capris, 2 shorts, 3 tank tops, 3 cotton shirts, one pair of jeans, 4 bathing suits, 2 cover ups, 1 beach flip flops, 1 dressier flip flops, 3 dressier pair of shoes. sounds like alot, but really, it's the lightest i've ever packed! i still have some space left in my carry on! only 1.5 days left!
    soudns great congrats any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by bellyblue22 View Post
    well, i'm packed, am bringing 3 casual sundresses that can be dressed up with cute slides, one pair of khaki capris, 2 shorts, 3 tank tops, 3 cotton shirts, one pair of jeans,
    I have to ask - why the jeans?

steverandlinda,
    IMO,the great thing about this board is answering the questons!! However many times the questions are asked!! I have 224 days until my husband and I go to CN!! I love getting on this board and finding the answers or helping someone else!!
    One Love,
    Mya

Great question...anxious for answer re: Crocs..polo/khakis fine at all restaurants...be comfortable! Check out FAQ for dress suggestions...you'll find everything from cocktail clothes to capris & tops...

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    How about crocs...are those considered flip flops?

No, they're worse

I guess I'll be bringing mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Myapapya View Post
    steverandlinda,
    IMO,the great thing about this board is answering the questons!! However many times the questions are asked!! I have 224 days until my husband and I go to CN!! I love getting on this board and finding the answers or helping someone else!!
    myapapya - i totally understand the connection and your feeling towards adding value and helping ... however on this specific topic how much do you think the answers have changed in the last 2 years? And since this board is manually moderated the repetition of some question eventually slows the update progress across the board. I am still surpised the topic of fashion /packing doesnt have it own forum like the AN forumn or wedding annoucements.

myapapya - i totally understand the connection and your feeling towards adding value and helping ... however on this specific topic how much do you think the answers have changed in the last 2 years? And since this board is manually moderated the repetition of some question eventually slows the update progress across the board. I am still surpised the topic of fashion /packing doesnt have it own forum like the AN forumn or wedding annoucements.
    Some of us haven't been on for 2 yrs...in my case just a few months, and though you could easily have a "standard answer" for the questions on the dress, it is great to hear from all of you who have been there. The info on the restaurants gives you some idea of what is acceptable but those of you who have been there know exactly what everyone else wears and offers timeless advice to those of us who will be new to everything and don't want to overpack. The advice has saved me a lot of money already and been alot of help.

I am still surpised the topic of fashion /packing doesnt have it own forum like the AN forumn or wedding annoucements.
    It's in the FAQs, actually.

Perhaps a link to them along the top nav bar would help folks. I can tell you that clicking on FAQ, then searching "dress code" turns no results as it doesn't pick up from the main Couples site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast