Default details on CTI and CSS--rooms, beach, food?

I am editing my original post to get some specific questions in, to help us in our decision.

CTI:
    --i uinderstand the beach is small--is the sand area about as small as that in CSS?
    --judging by pctures, the actual swimming area of CTI is very small--is that true? how far would you say one can swim out from the sand?
    --are there grounds beyond the buildings? would there be anywhere to walk?
    --how large are food selections in buffet-style restaurants (ones without reservations?) i can only compare to CSS--about similar?
    --if one wants to get a snack (nachos, etc) in the middle of the day--is there a place to do so?
    --are there any rooms where you can hear the waves?

CSS: we've actually been to CSS, but did not pay much attention to certain things:
    --as far as beachfront rooms go, could you tell me more about them? (we stayed up on the cliffs and loved it, but know nothing about other sections of the property)
    --from what i remember, the lunch selection at Pallazina was very small. is that normal or did we just catch it at a bad time?
    --was there nightly entertainment? as in, a band or a show? we went to bed early because i was sick! (not the resort's fault by any means!)

thank you so much in advance! we are bringing my picky parents this time, and while the beach and the food selection are their biggest concerns, we are trying to justify paying more for resorts on the Negril side. if someone has been to both sides could provide their input as far as food selection (I know the differences in the beach and water!), i'd really appreciate it!
    Last edited by pinkcloud; July 27th, 2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: more specific questions

For a beach, it's all about Negril!
    Erin N Steve (always Erin)

"--i uinderstand the beach is small--is the sand area about as small as that in CSS? The sand are of the beach at CTI is smaller, but it never feels crowded.
    --judging by pctures, the actual swimming area of CTI is very small--is that true? how far would you say one can swim out from the sand?We know people that have swam to the island. Yes, the roped in area is smaller.
    --are there grounds beyond the buildings? would there be anywhere to walk? You can walk in the gardens behind the buildings. Alford does a morning walk off the resort up the mountain and then back down through a neighborhood. Takes about an hour.
    --how large are food selections in buffet-style restaurants (ones without reservations?) i can only compare to CSS--about similar?I think the food selections at the buffet are varied and numerous, but the only time we eat there is breakfast and lunch. Just from doing the Trading Places and having lunch at CSS, I think CTI has more.
    --if one wants to get a snack (nachos, etc) in the middle of the day--is there a place to do so?You can get snacks/meals at the beach grill or the veggie bar or both during the day.
    --are there any rooms where you can hear the waves?For the most part all the ocean view/premier rooms you will hear the waves. You may hear them less i the Superior rooms but that is because they face west.
    Vicky

We've been to CSS three times and CTI once and will attempt to answer as many of your questions as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcloud View Post
    I am editing my original post to get some specific questions in, to help us in our decision.

CTI:
    --i uinderstand the beach is small--is the sand area about as small as that in CSS?
    --- The beach area at CTI is smaller than that of CSS.
    --judging by pictures, the actual swimming area of CTI is very small--is that true? how far would you say one can swim out from the sand?
    --- Yes, the swimming area is small...about 1/2 the size of CSS main beach.
    --are there grounds beyond the buildings? would there be anywhere to walk?
    --- The only areas to walk on CTI are on the non-ocean side (don't compare it to CSS as it's much less)
    --how large are food selections in buffet-style restaurants (ones without reservations?) i can only compare to CSS--about similar?
    --- The selection of buffet-style foods at the Patio is comparable to CSS.
    --if one wants to get a snack (nachos, etc) in the middle of the day--is there a place to do so?
    --- There is the Pool Grill (jerk chicken and such) and Veggie Bar (smoothies and such).
    --are there any rooms where you can hear the waves?
    --- We stayed in an Ocean Jr. Suite and couldn't hear it as we were by the main pool. Maybe it's possible to hear it if you're in the main building.

CSS: we've actually been to CSS, but did not pay much attention to certain things:
    --as far as beachfront rooms go, could you tell me more about them? (we stayed up on the cliffs and loved it, but know nothing about other sections of the property)
    --- We've stayed in both a one bedroom ocean view (up on the cliffs) and the beachfront and liked the cliffs better. The balconies are smaller in the beachfront and the view isn't as good. The one nice thing is the in-room jacuzzi.
    --from what i remember, the lunch selection at Pallazina was very small. is that normal or did we just catch it at a bad time?
    --- We've always found the lunch selection to be very good at the Palazzina.
    --was there nightly entertainment? as in, a band or a show? we went to bed early because i was sick! (not the resort's fault by any means!)
    --- Yes there's nightly entertainment on the deck of the pool by the Balloon Bar except on the nights of the Beach Party and Gala when the entertainment is part of those events.

thank you so much in advance! we are bringing my picky parents this time, and while the beach and the food selection are their biggest concerns, we are trying to justify paying more for resorts on the Negril side. if someone has been to both sides could provide their input as far as food selection (I know the differences in the beach and water!), i'd really appreciate it!
    We've also been to the Couples Resorts on the Negril side of the island. They are very nice and have a different atmosphere from those on the Ochi side. CSA has 2 restaurants for breakfast and lunch with 4 restaurants for dinner plus the grill and Seagrapes Cafe for snacking. CN has 1 restaurant for breakfast and lunch with 4 restaurants for dinner and also a grill. The one thing to remember is that each resort is different so it's not really fair to compare them against each other. We find that there are things at each that we like as well as things we dislike. The thing to do is look at the resorts and choose the one that includes those things that are important to you, and your parents.

Hopefully the info we've provided will be of help. Let us know if you need more.

Bart & Bug

thank you, Vicky, Bart and everyone else! you guys were helpful last time, and incredible this time around as well!
    we booked one bedrooms ocean view for both couples at CSS and i cannot wait to go! i think they will love it and i can't wait to share what i loved! i can't wait to see my dad happy and relaxed with a drink in his hand--or my mom walking the waterfall!

thank you again!