Default Salt Water Pools?

Are there any salt water pools at any of the Couples resorts?

Well, there is that gorgeous pool we affectionately call the Caribbean....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Nope, they are all fresh water pools.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

they have a mineral pool at CSS
    not sure if it is chlorinated?

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    they have a mineral pool at CSS
    not sure if it is chlorinated?
    It's not, IIRC. I'm sensitive to chlorine and had no issues at CSS.

The Pool outside of The Palms at CSA is Saltwater. Being an owner of one, I had a long discussion with Franklin (the guy cleaning the pool) about it. Since it doesn't get a ton of use, they are able to have saltwater. Now on the other end of the resort (with the swimup bar), they need to go chlorine all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by austex View Post
    The Pool outside of The Palms at CSA is Saltwater. Being an owner of one, I had a long discussion with Franklin (the guy cleaning the pool) about it. Since it doesn't get a ton of use, they are able to have saltwater. Now on the other end of the resort (with the swimup bar), they need to go chlorine all the way.
    That's what they told me too. I asked because it felt like a mineral pool to me and didn't make my eyes burn but a bunch of people on here argued with me what it was chlorine. I really love that pool because it's not as busy and it's not chlorinated.

The pool outside The Palms is also used for scuba checkout/training, so saltwater makes sense there (closer to seawater bouyancy) as well.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Wow, this message board is a wealth of information. We spent pretty much all week in the pool by the Palms because it was always pretty empty. We actually joked that it seemed like it was our own personal pool since most of the time we were the only ones in it. I had no idea it was a salt water pool!

Yeah, we like ours. Technically, it's still chlorine that is generated by a cell that converts the salt. But the bottom line is that salt pools are softer on the skin and don't make your eyes burn. It is only because the Palms Pool is underutilized that they can do it. Any pool that has a lot of activity and contaminants (ahem....swimup bar "hint, hint"..) needs to use the old fashioned chlorine. By the way, the guy I talked to was named Foster, not Franklin

The easy way to tell is just lick your lips after you've been in the pool. You can taste the saline. I think when you mention "salt water pool", many people equate that to the salt water in the ocean, which it is far from.

Thanks for your replies. I know that where we live in Canada the new trend is to go to salt water. I did not realize that you still need chlorine for a busy active pool. It makes sense.

I think there may have been some confusion on some folks part.

There are salt water pools that are filled with sea water. Like those found on cruise ships. None of those are at CSA.

There are pools that use a salt cell that uses electrolysis to generate chlorine. The water in those pools have just about the same salt content as your tears do. That is why they don't burn your eyes when you open them underwater.

There are "chlorine" pools that have chemicals added that break down to chlorine in the water. That "chlorine smell" everyone is familiar with , is associated with these pools.

I for one do not agree with Foster about the statement that you cannot use a salt cell in a heavily used pool. I would argue that a salt cell would do a better job at sanitizing and maintaining the pool water in a heavily used pool than adding chemicals. I believe salt cells were developed as a solution for commercial pools first and then the technology trickled down to the residential market.