Hybrid View

Default Swimming in the ocean

I have a question: My wife and I are excited about a trip to couples negril in August - Is the ocean fun to play in? This may be a dumb question but I have no idea about the marine life, how big the waves are etc......we are use to the Gulf. Any help would be great!!

It'll be fine. We went to Bloody Bay for our first trip to Jamaica (pre-CN) and loved it. You will have fun; but the pool facilities there are great, too!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

No waves at CN unless a boat comes by. They have an area roped off for swimming.

watch out for the sea urchins

The water in the bay is GREAT for swimming, floating etc. There are no big waves to knock you around and the water temp is perfect. You can walk out 30 - 40 yds and see your feet on the bottom through the cyrstal clear water. Best beach and swimming that I have ever experienced. I went to CN in May and then to Orange Beach in July, and there is no comparison to the experiences. My wife says that Jamaica has spoiled her.We will be back at CN next May for 8 nights this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bamacouple View Post
    I have a question: My wife and I are excited about a trip to couples negril in August - Is the ocean fun to play in? This may be a dumb question but I have no idea about the marine life, how big the waves are etc......we are use to the Gulf. Any help would be great!!
    Define "play". I'll tell you this, we thoroughly enjoyed our time in the ocean!

No waves...calm as as swimming pool. A few harmless fish and maybe a sting ray now and then. But just go about your business and they go about theirs. You can just lay on your floatie and relax...no worries mon!! We just got back last Sat. and we are ready to go back again!!

Thanks everyone! We are'nt scared of the ocean or marine life, we were just curious how abundant the marine life was and just how the "Caribbean" was in general. We went to the Atlantic one time at Cocoa beach and it was FULL of marine life and was told it was always that way. We actually looked into scuba divining, anyone know how much it cost to get certified in Jamaica? We cannot wait to go!!!!!!! Thanks for the answers!! Also, we were told the staff would bring you drinks etc...while you were on the beach...is this true? I have been told their staff is awesome!!

Ditto about watching out for sea urchins. I made the mistake of stepping on one...once. Spine caught me on the edge of my little toe and it almost ruined the entire vacation. Those little spines HURT and you can't get them out -- they just have to dissolve over time.

Me? I'm a diver, so I'm taking my SCUBA boots along. They're some of THE best water shoes you can find anywhere.

I dont understand why the water is so calm...no joke , there are no waves at all...I enjoyed it much more this way

I felt like we were swimming in a calm lake at CN. The water is awesome!!!!!!!!! You won't believe how serene and wonderful the water is. I tried to find marine life and saw nothing!! You are going to love it!

Quote Originally Posted by bamacouple View Post
    When are you going to be there? We leave 2 weeks from today for a week!