Hybrid View

Default Swimming in the Ocean?

Dumb question but oh well - Just wondering about how the marine life is in the ocean in Jamaica. We are used to the Gulf and it isn't that bad....I have swam in the Atlantic ocean (Cocoa Beach) before and will never it do that again.

Its not the ocean... Its the Caribbean Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by jenpatrick View Post
    Its not the ocean... Its the Caribbean Sea.
    I have a feeling bamacouple knew that. We all knew what they meant.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Well, where specifically do you intend to be? What are your specific issues with marine life?

At SweptAway, the roped-in area is a pretty plain sand bottom, thanks to the off-shore coral reefs. There is marine life that will occasionally be found in this area, including small rough fish, some stars, and an occasional sun ray (usually from 1-3 feet wingspan). I've also seen sole, had a few jelly stings, that kind of thing.

Like I said, if you have specific concerns, let us know... but I wouldn't worry... there's not much to encourage the marine life to stick around this close to shore, and in fact, it seems to avoid the area.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

As a diver I love the marine life, but to each their own. Most marine life prefer to congregate around a reef, so in the shallow, sandy bottom water of CSA their isn't much to encounter. Lucky to see the odd fish or maybe a stingray go by, but they tend to avoid people anyway. If it's still not your thing there's always the pools.

I dont go in the Ocean AT ALL! Atlantic or Pacific. I wont even go in lakes or ponds! Not only am I terrified fo shorts but I hate not knowing what is under or around me. Jamaica is the ONLY place I will go in the water. It is amazing. I dont scuba cause of my fear of being under water but my husband does and he says it is awesome. It is probably not the BEST place for scuba and snorkling place in the world but its nice. Last year we saw a stingray in the swim area, it was beautiful and the year before we found a huge pink start fish. We didnt keep it, we left it in the water, but it was beautiful.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Quote Originally Posted by yookster View Post
    I dont go in the Ocean AT ALL! Atlantic or Pacific. I wont even go in lakes or ponds! Not only am I terrified fo shorts but I hate not knowing what is under or around me. Jamaica is the ONLY place I will go in the water. It is amazing. I dont scuba cause of my fear of being under water but my husband does and he says it is awesome. It is probably not the BEST place for scuba and snorkling place in the world but its nice. Last year we saw a stingray in the swim area, it was beautiful and the year before we found a huge pink start fish. We didnt keep it, we left it in the water, but it was beautiful.
    "Not only am I terrified fo shorts "

Sorry, but I found this funny-was this a typo, or is this poster afraid of rogue shorts floating by? LOLOL
    Back to Couples April 2012

Will they allow you to keep star fish? Some beachs will not allow to keep things like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by bamacouple View Post
    Will they allow you to keep star fish? Some beachs will not allow to keep things like that.....
    If it's alive, put it back.

I'm not really sure what you are looking for, but in general the water is clear in most parts, the fish are pretty friendly and they don't attack you, the water is warm (I'm on the Pacific so almost all water is warmer) and I enjoy swimming in the ocean often when we are "home" either in Negril or Tower Isle.
    Felicia and Josh
    Couples Negril Oct. '08
    Couples TI Nov. '09
    CTI and CSS Nov/Dec '10

You will see some marine life. I saw a star fish on the bottom one day and another day saw a ray swimming around. There is no seaweed at the CN beach so there is not a lot of marine activity near the shore.

Not sure about the Ocho Rios side or the Bay side of Negril, since we stayed at CSA, but there was relatively little from what I saw. Took my snorkeling gear out in the swimming area and only really saw a few star fish out by the far end of the ropes. Other than that, aside from the Cat Cruise and snorkeling around by the cave, I really didn't see too much by way of marine life.......... I will say, however, that my boyfriend did get stung by a couple baby jelly fish on the second to last day we were there. I am sure this is probably pretty uncommon, but it did happen.

Have fun on your trip! We are at T-Minus 53 days to Swept Away!!!
    Team Leegion

I've been to CN twice and had no problem with anything unusual in the ocean. In the swimming area I onyl ever saw two jellyfish. There was a huge to me stingray with 2 little ones last time but they didn't seem to be a problem. I checked them all out for a little bit they then swam off. I just let the people around me know so they don't freak out. Still have yet to see a sand shark, even while out diving.

My advice is wear water shoes, just cause of the pesky sea urchins. We swim in the sea at CSS all the time, but we always have on our trusty water shoes.

cheers
    Amanda & Chris
    Edmonton, AB

"Were Coming HOME with our Jamaican Crew Oct 12, 2011"

Not sure what part of the Gulf you're referring to, but I live in the Tampa/St. Pete area and am used to that water. But I think if you're used to Gulf water, you'll love the Caribbean Sea! It's completely clear so you can see to the bottom easily. The water at CTI has some seaweed- hubby and I only went in the water there once but that's because we were so busy with other things. At CSA, we saw a stone crab and some little white fish in the swimming area, and some star fish near the catamaran. While swimming to the caves on the cat cruise, we were stung by jellyfish but it wasn't that bad. So not much sea life near the beach, and anything that ventures near the shore is easily seen. Hope that helps!

bamacouple -

No... you cannot keep the stars. They are fairly inanimate, as you know; a star may very well be alive and if you don't know what you're looking at, you wouldn't know it.

Same with conch... especially the smaller ones. Likewise, shells that appear to be abandoned may contain crabs... be aware of this BEFORE you pack them into your luggage.

I'm not sure on the regulations, but the Negril Reef is a protected area. There may be restriction on what you can collect and take away from it. Better to ask, and check with the US and Jamaican Customs websites prior to your trip.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"