Default Waiting until the last minute to purchase airfare.

Just purchased airfare this morning, I can finally start the countdown. 20 days to CN. I hope I never have to wait that last minute again, but I ended up with first class tickets for $200 less than I would have paid 6 months ago for coach.

That gives me hope...62 more sleeps and I still haven't bought airfare.

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Wow...wasn't it nerve reckoning to wait so last minute...me and my husband are going in May 2012 and I'm trying to figure out when will be the best time to purchase the air tickets. I've been checking the Air Jamaica rates on a daily basis and they seem to fluctuate each day or week. A year ago when we were married in Jamaica, I noticed the airline tickets were cheaper about 6 months out...unfortunately we had waited til about 2 months out and paid more. Do you mind me asking what airline you chose and where are you flying from?

We are sitting at just a little over 3 months out, trying to hold out as long as we can for the best fares possible, and we're already nervous!

I have no idea how you stood it being 3 weeks out and still no flights booked!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks2010 View Post
    Wow...wasn't it nerve reckoning to wait so last minute...me and my husband are going in May 2012 and I'm trying to figure out when will be the best time to purchase the air tickets. I've been checking the Air Jamaica rates on a daily basis and they seem to fluctuate each day or week. A year ago when we were married in Jamaica, I noticed the airline tickets were cheaper about 6 months out...unfortunately we had waited til about 2 months out and paid more. Do you mind me asking what airline you chose and where are you flying from?
    Don't mind at all. US Airways leaving from Little Rock fly through Charlotte, leaving on a Tuesday coming back on a Wed. I paid $580 per ticket for first class. The last two years I have paid less than $350 per ticket once on delta and once on US Airways.

I was starting to get nervous , but I checked the number of empty seats on the three flights I was watching everyday.

That's what I plan on doing next year ..... for the last few years I have booked way early like we have always been told, only to watch the prices drop drastically when it got closer. Last year we could have saved $250 on each ticket .....

Guess there's gonna be Razorbacks in Jamaica in a couple of weeks ..... LOL !! We will be arriving at CSA in 17 days !!
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Thanks for the tip, HAWGFAN. We booked early (non-refundable tickets), and I found flights today that would have saved us $200-$300. Ahhh...looks like it's a live and learn situation.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWGFAN View Post
    Don't mind at all. US Airways leaving from Little Rock fly through Charlotte, leaving on a Tuesday coming back on a Wed. I paid $580 per ticket for first class. The last two years I have paid less than $350 per ticket once on delta and once on US Airways.

I was starting to get nervous , but I checked the number of empty seats on the three flights I was watching everyday.

Oh my gosh, that is a GREAT price !!! That also makes me a little sick to my stomach --- I just paid $580 p.p. (on US Air via CLT) for our COACH seats to Mexico at the end of December. Last year for our Dec 2010 trip we paid $468 p.p.

I am so jealous of you (especially since in addition to paying the $580 p.p. I also used miles to upgrade us to 1st Class round-trip) !!

Jackie