Default Montego Bay the night before?

Has anyone ever spent a night in Montego Bay prior to beginning their Couples stay? We'll be taking our first trip to Couples/Jamaica for a 7-9 night stay, and husband was suggesting that maybe we fly in, spend a night exploring in Montego Bay, and then proceed to the resort afterwards for our trip. I think it would be too much hassle to do things.

Thoughts? Anyone done this before?

If your really curious about Montego Bay I don't think its a bad idea. Shouldn't be that big of a hassle, just don't unpack.
    Last December our flight out was cancelled because of a storm so we had to spend the night in Montego Bay. It gave us a chance to see a little of Montego Bay and it confirmed my feelings of never wanting to stay there.But hey... its just one night and it will make you appreciate Negril that much more when you do get there! Can you tell I"m not a fan of Montego Bay? lol

We stayed the night before our vacation at a place called Toby's Resort. It's close to the airport, but it's basically a dump and not a "resort". However, it wasn't expensive and fit the bill for a 1 night stay before our real vacation started. We took a taxi there from the airport after letting the folks at the Couples Lounge know what we were doing. We then took a taxi back to the Couples Lounge at 7:00 am. We had to stay outside the lounge, but we were able to let the Couples folks know that we were there. We were on the shuttle by 8:00 am to our "Vacation"!
    Eileen

We stayed in Montego Bay several years ago during our first trip to Jamaica. ....... and it was the last time. I would suggest one more night in Negril.

Default Montego bay the night before?

We have stayed overnight in Montego Bay many times before going on to Couples. We have discovered a "hidden gem" B&B there, and you can read reviews and check out photos on Tripadvisor.com. I can email you more information if you are interested!

I wouldn't call Toby's a "dump" by any stretch, but rather more of a Motel 6 with the BEST breakfast I've had in something of that caliber.

There are several threads on this on the MB, but we're actually doing this again this year to snag one more day in paradise.

We were going to do this when we were looking at a flight that came in rather late in the day. I thought it would be a waste of a Couples night by the time we got out to Ochi. We wouldíve stayed at Tobyís and left first thing in the morning on the earliest shuttle we could though. So it wouldíve just been a sleep and not time in MoBay. In the end we found a better flight and didnít need to. Iím sooo glad. Once the plane lands I just want to get to Couples.
    Weíve stayed at a resort in MoBay (before discovering Couples) and I didnít mind the location. The beach was private and better than those in Ochi and it was fun having the Hip Strip there, (although if youíre there with the cruise ships crowds it can be nasty busy). It was really nice being so close to the airport and not having that travel time, but weíll likely not do it again... unless they were to put a Couples there

In past trips to Couples Negril in February, and being from New Hampshire, we would start worrying about the weather a few days before we were scheduled to leave. We have been lucky in the past, but there was a lot of stress. If everything went as scheduled, we would land in MoBay around 12:30 in the afternoon and make it to CN by 3:00 to 4:00.

Next February, our flight leaves on a Wednesday, but instead of going directly to CN, we are going to spend two nights in Montego Bay. This way, if our flight gets canceled, or delayed and we get to Jamaica late in the evening, we donít miss any days at CN.

This will also give us a chance to do an excursion that is close to MoBay, without later having to travel from Negril back to MoBay.

When itís time to go to CN on Friday, weíll go back to the airport and take a scheduled flight with International AirLink to Negril, because itís cheaper than Tim Air (charter). This way we can be at CN around noontime, already in our swimsuits and ready for the beach.
    Last edited by John_NH; August 25th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Hi Deesweptaway,
    I sent an earlier message on an older post, but I'm lucky you posted on the same subject today! Could you please send me info on your secret B&B. My email address is allen2569@att.net.

Thank you!
    suzyQ

KrisJames,

How does it work? Do you check in with Couples the day you land and the next moring you have all your info to get on a shuttle or take a plane over to the resort? Please step by step the process for those of us haven't done this before. Thanks.

We check in with Couples Lounge and let them know that we are staying overnight in MB. We tell them that we will be back in the morning. They tell us to have the taxi bring us around to the back where the lounge is. We tell the people who are outside the lounge to let those at the Couples Lounge know that there are two customers outside. The Couples Lounge folks come outside and let us in. Then we just wait for the next van. It's very easy!
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by eileen11 View Post
    We check in with Couples Lounge and let them know that we are staying overnight in MB. We tell them that we will be back in the morning. They tell us to have the taxi bring us around to the back where the lounge is. We tell the people who are outside the lounge to let those at the Couples Lounge know that there are two customers outside. The Couples Lounge folks come outside and let us in. Then we just wait for the next van. It's very easy!
    Eileen
    Exactly right, and super easy.

Thank you for all the great information so far, I really appreciate all the input, especially for those of us who have never been to Jamaica...

We too stayed in the B&B recommended by Deesweptaway and highly reccomend it. It was beautiful, and they sesrved an excellent made-to-order breakfast. The staff and owners were wonderful. I understand what people say about just wanting to get to Couples. Montego Bay is not Negril, but it is fun to see it a bit. It was really nice to relax a bit also before getting to the resort and also nice to get to the resort as early as we wanted to. I believe we arrived at the airport by about 9 a.m. to be taken by the Couples shuttle to Swept Away. We were there well before noon and had the whole day at the resort instead of getting there around 5p.

Delta gifted us with an extra night in Jamaica last year. they took all of us to Sunset Beach resort. it was clean, buffet decent, and ok drinks for the night. that being said we got a room on the east end of the property and we slept on top of the two twin beds in the room. if you stay there make sure you are in one of the two towers. close to everything and we exited our room to walk to the main area right into the a/n massage area....lol

i wouldn't book it, but it was ok for a night after a flight cancelled.

Randy
    it's all about the kids

www.issatrustfoundation.com

Deesweptaway,

My wife and I just decided to come a night before a nd stay in Montego to get to Swept Away earlier the next day. Could you send me the information also on B&B? Thanks! My email is resqdogg301@aol.com

deesweptaway could you please email me the info for the bed and breakfast in montego bay? My husband and I have 19 nights booked for december but have decided to stay one more in montego bay before our couples visit. My email is alf@chartermi.net Thank you and anyone that has any suggestions please feel to reply. Thank you Diane.

Deesweptaway,

We too would like the info on the B&B - oldspartan74@yahoo.com

Thanks!
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

Pleasae let me know about the B&B in Montego Bay! eileen11@cox.net
    Thanks!

Janicek

Tried to email you with info on the B & B, but my email was returned. Do you have another email address?

Quote Originally Posted by Deesweptaway View Post
    Janicek

Tried to email you with info on the B & B, but my email was returned. Do you have another email address?
    Oops. Typos will get you every time.
    Try old_spartan74@yahoo.com - Thanks!
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014