Thread: Food at CSA

Default Food at CSA

We are headed to CSA in a week for our first time. We've never really gone to an all inclusive, but love the local food of Jamaica. Can anyone tell me if CSA cooks local Jamaican fare???

Yes especially at the Palms restaurant for every meal. Curried goat, salt fish ackee, and I know it's not Jamaican but they serve these awesome greens at every meal. The food just rocks!

Yes they do! The Palms buffet always has a good selection of local favorites. You are going to love the offerings. Have fun. CSA is the best.

How could I forget the jerk chicken and beef patties at the grill by the swim-up bar.

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    I know it's not Jamaican but they serve these awesome greens at every meal. The food just rocks!
    I believe the greens are called "calaloo" and that they are a Jamaican dish. Can anyone else confirm? I agree, they are awesome!

Spiff542, now that you mention it you maybe right. I wish I could make them at home!

I like the jerk sausage at the Palms for dinner.

I believe calaloo is Jamaican spinach greens, and yes, its delicious!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

While this isn't specifically Jamaican, we had Lionfish at Feathers - this is an invasive fish that is wreaking havoc on the Caribbean ecosystem, and I was glad to see it on the menu - it's a white fish and is prettly light and tasty.

We also love the Jamaican buffet offerings at the Palms.

There are also meat patties and jerk chicken at the Cabana Grill....

You'll love the food at CSA!!

At Beach night (Friday nights) there are a lot of local foods served. Do yourself a favor and try everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff542 View Post
    I believe the greens are called "calaloo" and that they are a Jamaican dish. Can anyone else confirm? I agree, they are awesome!
    That is correct and I eat them every morning.. I just love them.. As for the food, it is excellent. I was reading some reviews on TA and people were giving the food at CSA a C-, I guess they have a right to their opinion, however I feel some of these reviews are fake. We are having are wedding at CSA in 2/12 and if the food was just a C-, I wouldn't bring my family and friends to a place that was just average.
    Dane

As gonegril alluded to, Lionfish has been on the menu at SweptAway. I recall arrival day in May of 2010; they were just beginning the awards ceremony for a three-day lionfish hunt that just concluded for the local fishermen and put on by Couples. Lee Issa was in his glory... and had the kitchen staff offer three different preparations of the flakey, light fish (my favorite was curried), and he may be on to something, because this predator is devastating the reefs, not just at Negril, but across the Caribbean.

The idea is to encourage the hotel/restaurant industry to treat this particular parasitic species as a resource, and to eradicate it by carnivorous means (that is, to say, US). If the various resort kitchens continue to find ways to make it taste THAT good, I'm all for it!

There has been a J$100 bounty per fish (a bit more than US $1) for lionfish in the Negril area for at least the last two years, perhaps longer. Let's hope that they can break the foot-hold that this predator has on the reefs around Jamaica!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Chris - Thank you for the update on the Lionfish- so glad to hear the folks at Couples (and other resorts, I hope) are starting to create a market for this fish....It would be nice if it could eventually be an exportable "cash crop" for Jamaica and other islands!