Default Can someone clarify what the weather is like end of Nov/start of Dec?

I am now really confused. I have read through previous reviews as well as Jamaica website information and have found so many differing views on the weather in November and December in Ocho Rios. I believe that in November the weather starts to get better at the end of the rainy/monsoon season and in December it should be better still

We have booked 14 nights at CSS from 26th November to 10th December and sincerely hope that there will be more blue skies than we experienced at the end of October/beginning of November last year when we had almost 14 days of cloud cover. Don't get me wrong, CSS is one place in the world I know of where the cloud cover didn't seem to matter so much (well, SSB at CSS is!) but we really love the sun and would like to grab some more Vitamin D than is available here in UK at present!

If there is anyone out there that vacations regularly during these weeks, perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten me. I just read a post where someone mentioned that last December was pretty bad but then I understand that the weather didn't follow a 'normal' pattern at the end of last year.

Thanks to you all for any feedback.

JohnnieM

We were at CN during Thanksgiving week in 2009 and the weather was sunny and beautiful. It rained twice the entire week, and not for long periods of time. We're going back to Negril in November once again, and am not worried about the weather at all.

We were there last December and it rained every day of the 8 days we were there. I am like you now, some what gun shy of going back in December. We were there in 2005 at the same time and it was great. So hopefully last year was just an unusual year and Decembers will be better from now on. You just can't predict the weather.

Hey JohnnieM

My husband and I have been going to CSS for the last two years and are planning another trip there this year from November 25 until December 3.

The weather has always been GREAT! In the mid 80's everyday with plenty of sun and an occassional breeze. I think one year we had a couple of rain showers in the afternoon but nothing that caused us to leave the beach.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice the weather will be.

Hopefully we will get a chance to meet while we are at CSS!

No worries!

Annarundel

We have been to Negril 5 times the first week of December. We have never had "bad" weather. It has always been more sun than clouds. 4 of the 5 years it was warm but not hot. One year it was hot. The water has always been heavily.

Enjoy.

THe varying views of the weather are probably because the weather is never a sure thing. My wife and I have been to Jamaica many times around the end of November and we have had good and bad weather, just like most other times of the year. We have had way more good weather than bad at that time though. The weather is not drasctically different in November and December than many other months but as you get to the end of November and into December the risk of tropical storms goes down from the peak risk in Sept and Oct. The humidity which is higher over the summer and also feels like it's at its peak to me in Sept and Oct.

The north coast generally experiences more wind and rough water than Negril, but my perception from our trips has been that this is a little more prevalent in the fall and even into early December. If I go to the north coast at this time I expect to have watersports cancelled some afternoons due to wind or rough water and my wife always takes a light jacket or sweater for the evenings that time of year on the north coast.

We don't avoid Jamaica in later Nov and Dec (we don't go in Sept, Oct, and early Nov...but others do and often have great weather then too!) but we are more likely to choose Negril that time of year for the calmer wind and water. Remember that you can have great or poor weather any month of the year and there is no way to control it, but we have concluded that playing the odds is worth it so we don't go much Aug-Oct and are more likely to go to the North Coast in the spring than in the late fall or winter.
    Have fun... remember... it will be great no matter what!

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I believe that the Negril side of the island is a lot more weather friendly so am not surprised to hear good reports of CN. So annarundel, let's just hope that the sun shines and the cocktails flow over there at SSB! If you visit that part of the world then me and Jenny will see you there. We may even buy you a drink. ;-)

I have gone to Jamaica in this time frame four different times.

The weather is almost always wonderful.

Been to CN in late Nov 2007 and late Nov 2010. Both times the weather was gorgeous with the typical sporadic clouds, very little wind and out of 14 total days, it only rained one time at night. You are going at the perfect time, because you are getting into the dry season, but early enough that prices are still cheaper than in late Dec, Jan, Feb, etc. Enjoy!

We often travel to Jamaica and the Caribbean during the last week of November and first week of December. This is my favorite time of the year to go! In my experiences, this time of year is still quite warm...but the humidity is quite low which is more enjoyable than in June/July. The water was still warm as well. It just cools down a little in the evenings. Also, I have noticed that the mosquitos and sand fleas are less of a problem at this time. This year we are returning in October for our Anniversary and also Swept Away's anniversary celebration... We had concerns about hurricanes during this time, but decided to go anyway and enjoy another vacation in PARADISE!

Enjoy your trip, Couples is perfect anytime of the year!

Swept Away Nov/Dec 08'
    Swept Away Jun 10'
    Swept Away Oct 11'
    Swept Away Jun 15'
    (Long time coming after vacationing in 8 other countries...it's time to return home)!

As a frequent flyer at all 4 Couples resorts, and we typically do go late Nov. early Dec., I will say the Negril side has better weather that time of year. We have been to CSS and CTI multiple times and have experienced cloudy, windy, and occasionally rainy weather almost every time we visited during this timeframe. Don't get me wrong, there's always still a good time to be had, but we're starting to rethink our timing on visiting that end of the island during Nov. and Dec.

Although I have read many a report on this board where folks have gone at that time of year and had perfect weather, so it may just be hit or miss.

The weather is usually nice that time of year but it is weather, unpredictable

We usually visit Jamaica in November or early December and the weather is usually good (much better than back home) but we will get bad weather sometimes.

We have been there the last 3 years and are going back this year. We always go the first weekend of December. Each year we would have maybe an hour or so of rain all week. Last year however it was cold. But, the whole hemisphere was cold. Even El Paso Texas got snow last year, Atlanta was getting snow the day we came home, so last year was not a typical year. We love the weather there during that time. It is the tropics and you may get a little bit of rain on any given day, but it never stopped us from enjoying the beach (except last year during the one really cool day).
    Linda

We have been to CSA twice in late Nov/early Dec and weather was good. Weather in OR can be different though.

Johnniem

In the last 7 years we have been to Negril 3 times and Ocho Rios 4 and we always go the 1st week in December. While you can never predict the weather, it has rained occasionally in the evening or over night, or a quick shower in the afternoon. Otherwise the weather has been absolutely perfect. No Worries

Thanks to you all for the kind responses. It seems as if it will all be irie!

Our group goes to CN the 1st or 2nd week of Dec. and have had great weather every time. On a couple trips it rained twice. When it does grab a few drinks and head to the hot tub!!

When we were there Dec. 1-Dec 8th, 2010, the weather was very nice. It rain for a brief period almost every day, but it did not ruin the trip. The sun came back out shortly after that. You will not be disappointed with the weather. You will have more problems in Dec. finding a place on the beach so I would suggest when you get up early in the morning to go down to the beach, find your spot, and put your towels and claim your seats! We left our beach bag there also and no one will mess with your things.

You may want to try July next time because it is hot and you can always find a spot. We are planning our next trip either in Dec. or Jan 2012. We like December and July as months to visit and this will be our third trip in a year. We cannot wait to get back!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnniem View Post
    I am now really confused. I have read through previous reviews as well as Jamaica website information and have found so many differing views on the weather in November and December in Ocho Rios. I believe that in November the weather starts to get better at the end of the rainy/monsoon season and in December it should be better still

We have booked 14 nights at CSS from 26th November to 10th December and sincerely hope that there will be more blue skies than we experienced at the end of October/beginning of November last year when we had almost 14 days of cloud cover. Don't get me wrong, CSS is one place in the world I know of where the cloud cover didn't seem to matter so much (well, SSB at CSS is!) but we really love the sun and would like to grab some more Vitamin D than is available here in UK at present!

If there is anyone out there that vacations regularly during these weeks, perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten me. I just read a post where someone mentioned that last December was pretty bad but then I understand that the weather didn't follow a 'normal' pattern at the end of last year.

Thanks to you all for any feedback.

JohnnieM

We were there in 2007 and it only rained for 15-20 minutes. In 2009 we went and it rained for 2 day's straight. We will be there again on Nov.25 - Dec.2, hoping the weather will be beautiful!