Default How to Travel with a Camera

For those of you who have taken their DSLR camera with them to Jamaica, what is the easiest way to travel with it to get through airport security and to not harm the camera? My fiance and I both have DSLR's and a couple lenses a piece that we carry in backpacks. I would never check my equipment, but since each person is limited to a carry-on and a personal bag do you carefully pack everything in your carry-on? I didn't know for sure, but i doubt the airline would accept our camera backpack as a personal bag. I haven't flown in 13 years so i have no clue!! Any help would be appreciated!! We are down to 67 more sleeps!!! Thanks!!

A camera bag is a personal bag. I use a Lowepro Slingshot and love it.

Wow... you're in for a treat... a LOT has changed in that time, and checkin procedures always seem to change a bit. Even prior to 9/11, there were different requirements for some things, such as cameras, and there never seemed to be consistency from airport to airport (much less country to country!).

If you camera bags are small enough, I'd place them (opened) in a basket on the belt as you go through security, so that there will be no problem for TSA or Jamaican security when inspecting them. Once in the sterile area (downstream of security), and especially when you board, you may need to put the bag in your carryon, but perhaps not. Most airlines allow one carryon (with limitations on size) and one personal item, such as a purse, camera bag, laptop, etc., provided it will fit under the seat in front of you during takeoff and landing.

Should not be a problem.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Definitely put them in your carry-on. Have a great trip!

You should be OK placing a DSLR in a backpack and carrying it on board the aircraft. Consider that backpack your "personal bag" so-to-speak (and pack the likes of a beach bag in your carry on luggage).

Personally, I carry a smaller digital camera and its corresponding marine pack with me on vacation rather than lugging along my DLSR. I carry my camera gear in a standard backpack (from my college days) and stow that underneath the seat in front of me. Never had any problems that way...always breezed right through TSA with it.

Your camera backpack can be considered your personal item. I travelled in 2009 and 2010 with my camera gear stored in a Lowepro 200AW (sling backpack style) and also carried a rolling carry on bag with clothing etc. In 2011, I carried my DSLR and lenses in a ThinkTank Retrospective 20 (messenger bag style) and my carry on bag. It was no problem at the security check points. You are allowed one carry on bag and one personal item per person. Do keep in mind that if your wife is planning on carrying on a purse or other type of bag, it would be considered her personal item and they would ask her to check one of the other bags. Just keep it to two items (bags) per person and you should have no worries. No I'm not too sure on the allowances for carrying on a tripod as I simply put my tripod into my checked luggage as it would not fit into or on any of my carry on luggage.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

If the camera's are digital just carry them in a shoulder style camera bag as I do, if they are using film carry them the same way but hand the film to the security agent to hand check the film in both directions, its not good to send it thru the x ray at security. Also they do expose your checked luggage thru x ray also so do not pack it. If digital the scan discs can go right thru the x ray without damage to the pictures.

My husband and I each take our digital cameras, plus a waterproof camera and a video camera. We pack them in our regular carry on bags. Since no one is handling the bags but us, the cameras are very safe. We have never had a problem.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Can you tell me how much clearance there is under the seats? My FI's camera bag seems thick so i want to make sure it will fit with no problems!

I have a Kata camera backpack which is about the maximum size allowed for a carryon. (Holds lots of camera gear and a laptop). Never had any problems traveling with it. I put it in the overhead bin. We fly Delta and this is their carryon info:

Carry-on Baggage Size Restrictions
    • Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height.
    • Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).

Quote Originally Posted by TJSmiles View Post
    For those of you who have taken their DSLR camera with them to Jamaica, what is the easiest way to travel with it to get through airport security and to not harm the camera? My fiance and I both have DSLR's and a couple lenses a piece that we carry in backpacks. I would never check my equipment, but since each person is limited to a carry-on and a personal bag do you carefully pack everything in your carry-on? I didn't know for sure, but i doubt the airline would accept our camera backpack as a personal bag. I haven't flown in 13 years so i have no clue!! Any help would be appreciated!! We are down to 67 more sleeps!!! Thanks!!
    Any good quality camera bag will work. I travel with 2 DSLRs, at least 3 lenses, flash, filters and other gear. My bag of choice the Lowepro Compu Trekker Plus AW backpack. It also has a pocket for a laptop. It just fits the carry on jig of the airline I normally travel and when loaded weights 10kg/22lb which is my airline's max weight for carry-on. The bag also fits, albeit a bit snug. in the over head bin on CR-J Bombardier Regional jets, B-737s, B-767s, and Airbus 319, 320, 321s.

Of course the deciding factor is the criteria of the specific airline you are travelling on. Check their website.

The days of x-ray damage to film are long gone with the advent of digital media. No worries about putting your camera bag or any digital media through a x-ray device. Security may require that after x-ray that you open your bag so they can swab various items for explosive residue analysis. It only takes a minute.

If you don't feel comfortable with the x-ray machine you can ask that your bag/gear be hand inspected. Security personnel, at least in North America, should be willing to comply.

I must reiterate, just prior to travel check your airline's website, as well as the TSA website. All the required info is there, but can be changed or updated at any time.

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

i had my dslr w/spare lens, my p&s, my wifes p&s, my laptop and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten in my carry on bag and no problems were had.

According to my hubby..."feel free to take your DSLR. You'll only need 1 unless you want a backup. However, I feel that a DSLR is overkill for vacation. A super zoom or compact consumer pro, like a G11 is more than sufficient, and can provide underwater photos with an underwater housing. Additionally, a big rish for a DSLR is the fine nature of the sand on the island. It gets into EVEYTHING, including any nook and crany on a nice DSLR.

As far as travel through the airport goes, you'll need to take your cameras out in the US at security and put them in a seperate container. That should be the only hiccup you'll have. As other's have said, the camera bag would be your personal item. I would recommend a backpack camera bag."

Enjoy and safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by jdanjou View Post
    According to my hubby..."feel free to take your DSLR. You'll only need 1 unless you want a backup. However, I feel that a DSLR is overkill for vacation. A super zoom or compact consumer pro, like a G11 is more than sufficient, and can provide underwater photos with an underwater housing. Additionally, a big rish for a DSLR is the fine nature of the sand on the island. It gets into EVEYTHING, including any nook and crany on a nice DSLR.

As far as travel through the airport goes, you'll need to take your cameras out in the US at security and put them in a seperate container. That should be the only hiccup you'll have. As other's have said, the camera bag would be your personal item. I would recommend a backpack camera bag."

Enjoy and safe travels!
    I can't do "sufficient".

You do not need to pull anything from your camera bag at security in the airport, unless selected for "special" searches.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I can't do "sufficient".
    Me neither! We take our Canon DSLR, zoom lens, an Olympus Tough waterproof for the beach, a Sony with housing for diving and a video camera. Ok, perhaps it seems like overkill, but each have a purpose... and believe it or not, one port on our cruise the Olympus packed it in (first time in the water), the Sony acted up, and we were down to the Canon. The only thing I reconsider everytime is the zoom, which then needs it tripod... but he wants that. Too many accessories I know! LOL
    However we do fit it all (except housing) into our sling camera bag and the Olympus in my purse in a small case (TG the other cameras are all small!).
    Hubby then puts the camera case into a small carry-on bag, just so he has room to slide in a book, phone, keys and passport as well. This is how you get around the one personal bag per person issue. So if you have a small camera bag, you may want to try this.
    If you love your camera, bring it !!! (just be careful around the sand!). The room safes are big enough to store it out of the case. I love walking around the resort early on a sunny morning snapping my memories of the resort.

Very Good Question. I will be traveling with my DSLR....I don't do "sufficient"....anything short of amazing isn't worth it. I paid out the ....well you know.....for the DSLR so I plan on getting some amazing shots. Especially with it being our Wedding and Honeymoon combined.

Brittany&Allen - we are in the same boat as you guys. we too are getting married while we're there. so that means packing our wedding attire and cameras in our carry-ons. good luck to you guys!!