Default Men's "closed-toe shoes" @ CSA

I know this can be a sensitive subject, but... will these shoes "cut it" for Feathers & Lemongrass?! My soon-to-be hubby thinks these are going to be okay because they're "closed-toe." I really don't feel like experiencing the embarrassment of not being allowed into the two restaurants because his shoes are inappropriate!!

(33 days! I remember when we were well over 100 days!! I can't believe it's almost time!)

Name:  Shoe.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  23.9 KB

Sorry, but I've seen men turned away wearing sandals almost exactly like those. Key word is sandals. Sneakers are also closed toe shoes but they are not allowed either.

Here's the dress code for Feathers - No sandals, T-shirts, shorts, jeans, sneakers, or hats are allowed.

Doing the double-digit dance!!!

Mike and Monica
    Jamaica Soon Come.
    CSA Torch Holder 2012

This comment isn't directed at anyone in particular, and certainly not toward this particular posting... but this question comes up again and again, and it will come up next week, next month and the month after that... for some reason, it always does, simply because someone wants to know... and they've come to the right place!

Imagine a 5-star restaurant, very upscale, which many blue collar folks would consider out of reach for menu price and budget. Now imagine that, if you're a blue collar kinda guy (or gal), you suddenly came into some significant coin, you've hit the lottery, or whatever, and you decide that you're going to dress up and finally take the opportunity to go to that 5-star joint. What would you wear?

Well, if you've selected SweptAway (or any of the other Couples properties, for that matter) for your once in a lifetime, once a year, or once every 5 year vacation, you've hit the lottery. For heaven's sake, pack a pair of shoes, a nice button down shirt, slacks and maybe even a tie, and paint the town red with the woman you love! The gourmet restaurants at Couples truly are special, and you will have an amazing dining experience... its just not a meal!

If you can't stand the thought of putting on a pair of shoes, well, the grill is pretty awesome, too (and I'm not being facetious when I say that), and you can put up your sandals and relax.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Would you wear those sandals to a fine dining restaurant in the states?
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Hi Megan,
    I've had the opposite experience to MikeMonica, my husband has worn similar sandals (with a covered toe) and had no problem at Feathers. We've been 3 times and it's never been an issue.
    Cheers,
    Terri

*sigh* Thanks, MikeMonica. I think he mentioned still taking his dress shoes. Geez... stinks to be a guy. Long pants AND dress shoes?! Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This comment isn't directed at anyone in particular, and certainly not toward this particular posting... but this question comes up again and again, and it will come up next week, next month and the month after that... for some reason, it always does, simply because someone wants to know... and they've come to the right place!

Imagine a 5-star restaurant, very upscale, which many blue collar folks would consider out of reach for menu price and budget. Now imagine that, if you're a blue collar kinda guy (or gal), you suddenly came into some significant coin, you've hit the lottery, or whatever, and you decide that you're going to dress up and finally take the opportunity to go to that 5-star joint. What would you wear?

Well, if you've selected SweptAway (or any of the other Couples properties, for that matter) for your once in a lifetime, once a year, or once every 5 year vacation, you've hit the lottery. For heaven's sake, pack a pair of shoes, a nice button down shirt, slacks and maybe even a tie, and paint the town red with the woman you love! The gourmet restaurants at Couples truly are special, and you will have an amazing dining experience... its just not a meal!

If you can't stand the thought of putting on a pair of shoes, well, the grill is pretty awesome, too (and I'm not being facetious when I say that), and you can put up your sandals and relax.
    Spot on....

Megan,
    They don't have to be dress shoes. I wear deck shoes, light loafers, or something similar and haven't had a problem. We try to eat at Feathers at least twice during the eight nights we are there. Since it is the only air conditioned restaurant there, long pants are not a problem for me. Monica gets a little chilly during dinner and sometimes will wear a wrap after being on the beach/outside all day. Dinner at Feathers is great and I'd even wear a suit (with tie) if it was the only way to get seated. IMO, the food and service are that good.
    Doing the double-digit dance!!!!

Mike and Monica
    Jamaica Soon Come.
    CSA Torch Holder 2012

Default Closed Toe Shoes

Sorry but I have a pair of sandals like the one you posted that are newer and a little dressier and they are NOT good enough. The problem is that the heel is still open and they don't want that. Basically sandals are 100% not acceptable!

respect due mon,

excellent,

Randy

it's all about the kids

www.issatrustfoundation.com

You will be fine. Hubby has some very similar to thos. I like them.

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

wifeeandrr -

maybe you want to read Chris's post - that is absolutely SPOT ON. The great thing about Couples (at least CSA), is that you don't have to worry about shoes unless you want to eat at Feathers....why stress yourself out (or irritate other diners) by trying to get in to dine without the right kind of shoes/attire?? Really - if you're not interested in wearing shoes, don't set yourself up for a diss by the fashion police. Wear SHOES, or just plan to eat at the Palms, Patois or the Cabana Grill.... all great options, BTW....

I wore sandals just like those with slacks to feathers. No issues, that being said, it was not worth having to dress up. The food is better at patois, and the atmosphere is better at lemongrass.

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    wifeeandrr -

maybe you want to read Chris's post - that is absolutely SPOT ON. The great thing about Couples (at least CSA), is that you don't have to worry about shoes unless you want to eat at Feathers....why stress yourself out (or irritate other diners) by trying to get in to dine without the right kind of shoes/attire?? Really - if you're not interested in wearing shoes, don't set yourself up for a diss by the fashion police. Wear SHOES, or just plan to eat at the Palms, Patois or the Cabana Grill.... all great options, BTW....
    Hubby had shoes similar to those and we went to Feathers...no probs... :shrug:

CSS 2010
    CN 2011

My hubby wore those exact style closed toe sandals to Cassanova at CSS and also at Feathers at CSA with no issues whatsoever. I believe you'll be fine.

You know what Chris?
    I like this post, because it's given me a way to better plan what I and the wife will pack for our trip! We're going to CTI, but 8 Rivers it seems has a similar dress code.
    Now to tell the wife to plan at least one night for dinner like I'm taking her to one of those restaurants that doesn't put prices on the menus!

Jason
    CTI in:
    51 days
    2 hours
    11 minutes
    10 seconds

My two cents... (Why is it "a penny for your thoughts, but you "put your two cents in"?...sombody's making a profit!)

It really depends on who is working at the door (Host/Hostess) of the "restaurants with a dress code". Some will let shoes like those described pass. Others will not. Personally, I don't risk it.

Since we typically travel in the winter months, I wear my closed toed, casual dress shoes and dockers on the plane. (And have a pair of shorts, sandals and swimsuit in my carryon). This way, I have the shoes for the restaurant and I didn't have to pack their extra weight in my checked bag. (I change into the shorts either on the plane or at the Couples Lounge. The swimsuit is in case our room isn't ready or our luggage doesn't make it to MBJ.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

As you can see, your question is still open to interpretation. Many folks have been allowed into Feathers with similar shoes (or sandals if you prefer). Just as many have been turned away. If you are interested in doing some gambling on your vacation, stick with the "shoes" pictured. If you want to go to Feathers without the adventure of entering outside of the written dress code, take some regular shoes of some sort. There seems to be no real definitive answer to this question as I have seen it come up on the board quite regularly over the years I have been hanging out here. True, there is a written dress code that is "enforced" by the staff at Feathers. Also true that it is up to the discretion of the person on duty at the time to make the final determination of who gets in and who doesn't. It can go either way, and does regularly, on the issue of shoes. If you go with the intention of wearing the shoes you have pictured, just be aware that possibly you may not be admitted to Feathers and you will have no legitimate gripe about it as you are playing pretty loose with the dress code.

By the way, those "shoes" will be fine for Lemongrass. The dress code for Lemongrass, while a bit more restrictive than the other restaurants at CSA, does allow for sandals and shorts. But be tasteful, no cut-offs, flip flops or sleeveless tee shirts please.

Even with the shoe controversy, you will love CSA. With or without Feathers you will have a wonderful time. Have a great trip!

OK I have tried to not comment here but I can not remain mum and longer. (remember I had a thread closed on almost the same issue involving rubber flip flops to Otheite.

Here goes, I MYSELF would feel out of place wearing these Sandals as I feel it is pretty well spelled out how they request/require what fashion they would like to see in particular restaurants at Couples. Why would you wear something that may not be permitted and possibly put you or the Manager of the restaurant on the spot??

Spike and I were in Othaelite in August when a young mand well dressed shirt and shoes with dress jeans was asked to change his pants, it was an awkward situation that could have been avoided.

The restaurants are all very well air conditioned and comfortable in shoes, button down shirt and shoes so I do not see such an issue and these three items take up minimal space in the luggage.

Chris man your post was excellent!!!!

Sorry to disagree, but feathers is nice, but it is not 5 star. I would never wear a tie there. A nice silk shirt, slacks, and a pair of closed toe borns (like the above) is perfect for that atmosphere.

Default easy fix

Here is an easy fix for you. Log on to shoebuy.com and get your man a pair of Sperry TopSiders. These shoes look great, are very very comfortable. I always also wear mine through the airport as they are easy to slip on and slip of. They look just as good with shorts or jeans as they do with dress pants. They may even become your hubby's favorites. I got mine for $40 and they other good thing about them is the fact that they are very flexible so the press flat for storage and come out of the luggage looking like new. Enjoy your trip stress free with these.Name:  sperry shoe.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  5.9 KB

I wore flip flops (expensive ones mind you) to Lemongrass and they didn't question it.
    Last edited by twin6mike; September 19th, 2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: i cant type

Would you people give it a break!
    Don't try to see what you can get away with!
    You are spending $4000.00 or more for this vacation, just go out and buy a cheap pair of Docksider or boat shoes and when you get home keep them in your luggage till the next time. You won't even have to ware them every night.
    Yes you may get away with it from time to time but it is time for Couples to stick to the dress code at every resort, everytime! If you get there and they trun you away you are just going to complain and try to make everyone else feel sorry for you.

Phinns Up

I thought flip flops and the word expensive were an oxymoron.....haha

CSS 2010
    CN 2011