Default Video Skyping at CSA using an iPhone

The hubby and I are extremely excited to be celebrating our 10 year anniversary at CSA. The only thing causing me grief is worrying about leaving our 6 year old son. I really want to connect with him daily and would love to be able to do some video chatting each day. I haven't seen alot on here about people using iPhones at CSA to video Skype. I would be Skyping to a PC. We will be staying in an Atrium suite - not sure if that makes a difference in signal strength. Anyone tried this and can offer some insight?

I've been flirting with the idea of purchasing a netbook for this purpose - does anyone this might be the better option?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice shared.

I'm interested to know too! We will be returning to CSA in 53 days and this year will be in an Atrium Suite as well. We've skyped from CSS and CN with our netbook, but when we were at CSA 4 years ago I didn't have a netbook!lol

We used our netbook to keep in touch in May of 2010. I'm intrigued by Skype and would also like to try this during our stay in October. Our experience with the wireless connection in the Atrium area of the resort is that it was rather clunky at times. However, I'm sure it would be fine if you happen to see one of the repeaters around the resort, or if you were to hand out in either the lobby or in the Great House where, I'm told, wifi reception is better.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

So I just purchased a netbook, but Skype had a horrible lag when I tested it, but my iPhone performed perfectly on the same wifi network. I think I will be taking the netbook back and depending on the iPhone unless someone can suggest a reliable netbook.

I guess if we have issues, we can just purchase a justalk calling card (hopefully they will be available).

Skyped our daughter from CTI in June from my iPhone! I assume it would also work from the other resorts! Had to do it in the lobby, as room signal strength was not good.

Quote Originally Posted by staceykoz View Post
    The hubby and I are extremely excited to be celebrating our 10 year anniversary at CSA. The only thing causing me grief is worrying about leaving our 6 year old son. I really want to connect with him daily and would love to be able to do some video chatting each day. I haven't seen alot on here about people using iPhones at CSA to video Skype. I would be Skyping to a PC. We will be staying in an Atrium suite - not sure if that makes a difference in signal strength. Anyone tried this and can offer some insight?

I've been flirting with the idea of purchasing a netbook for this purpose - does anyone this might be the better option?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice shared.
    Works great, we skyped with the kids daily when we were there in Nov. I was able to do it from the beach, from the beach bar, the main pool, our deck, and our desk in the room. No issues anywhere.

Thanks IACouple! You give me hope! Now I just have to make sure I turn all the cellular data points off on the darn thing to not get charged. :-) 16 days to go! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Default Skype no problem

My wife and I were at CSA last march and skyped every day. Yes you can get a signal just about everywhere in the resort but at peak times it can get slow. If you want to do it between 5:30-7:30 I suggest doing it from in the main lobby. We did use both, video skype from our MacBook air and phone skype from the iPhone and they worked well. I was very pleased with the phone skype calls, we purchased $10 of skype time and were able to call anyone back in Canada and with about 3 hours of talking only used $5 of out skype min. So I'll never buy a phone card again!!

we are trying to figure out how to Skype to our laptop back home for the folks...tejas...and in csa w/ hubby's iphone....thanks for any help or updates to this!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

You can buy skype minutes and call land lines or cellphones from your iphone or laptop. That is what we did. The smallest increment was $10. Worked just fine for us.

You mentioned your using an iPhone, we were as well when we were at CTI and we used FaceTime instead of Skype and it worked great!!!!

We used our iphone last year to skype the kids last year, worked great. To avoid any charges from data or what ever other charges you might get I took out the sims card. Phone then works like small ipad and we didn't have to worry about the bill.

I understand completely. We have two little boys and I am going to miss them terribly. My husband travels a lot for business (out of the country) and we use a regular computer and use gmail video chat (via google plus) because it is free, unlike Skype. If the person who is watching your kids has a gmail account and a videocamera, you can connect. Have fun!!

Oops just saw the date on this. lol

Do you have 2 iphones? (Or an iphone and an ipad?) When we go, we are going to bring one with us and leave the other with the kiddos and do facetime.