Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mojitos at Couples?

Last time we were at CSS in '07 they did not offer Mojitos at their bars. It's my all-time favorite hot weather drink and wonder if they serve them now at any of the Couples. I believe that I saw one in someone's pictures on the message board??? Thanks, Lori

Don't know about CSS, but I had mojitos at CN in November and plan on many more this November!

Order a Lime daquiri with a splash of soda/seltzer. Don't think they have fresh mint. But this is pretty close. I

I know they've served them at CSA. A girl in our group got one a few times throughout our trip. It's probably just a matter of if they have any mint or not!

O'Brian at Swept Away won a mojito making contest sponsored by Bacardi a year or so ago. they do make them as long as they have mint available at Swept Away.

Randy
    it's all about the kids

www.issatrustfoundation.com

There are two issues with mojitos... one, they require mint, which for one reason or another doesn't seem to be very available; and two, they are a bit labor intensive, although hey... a cocktail is a cocktail, right? If there is mint available, they will be happy to make it for you!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thanks for responding everybody! We are headed to CTI next month (YEAY!!!) and I'll just have to wait and see. Maybe I should take along my own mint leaves?! Thanks again, Lori

I can confirm that at no point during our two week vacation at CSS last November was there any mint available for making Mojito's (our favourite drink!! Natch!!). Maybe we'll be lucky this year. I am pretty certain that if mint were available then a Mojito would have been made for us. Fingers crossed y'all!

Anyone going to CN who loves mojitos can get one at Lychee restaurant. They are fabulous!!! Filled with a lot of mint. I couldn't stop drinking them.

We just returned from CN and were able to get Mojito's at Lychee. After a couple of orders they ran out of mint, so I just kept my glass and they made me one more in it! I was also able to get one Mojito at the Terrace bar. It just depends on if they have any mint or not...

I had one at CSS while Trading Places at the end of June!!! They had run out of mint at CTI...

No mint available in August at CSS. It was not available at SA last November either.

if it is truly your fav drink you may wish t pack along some fresh mint to insure you enjoy your cocktail... a mojito without fresh mint is like a ay without your feet .....

I was curious about this too as hubby and I both LOVE Mojitos. We have a ton of fresh mint at home. We are going to CSA and hoping they are available. I was also considering bringing some fresh mint with me, but was afraid there may be issues bringing it on the plane. Anyone know the rules on that?

Isn't bringin plants or vegitation into the country not allowed? That would include "fresh mint"

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_negril View Post
    if it is truly your fav drink you may wish t pack along some fresh mint to insure you enjoy your cocktail... a mojito without fresh mint is like a ay without your feet .....
    Great idea, however, the customs/declaration form says you must state if you are bringing in plants, fruits,
    vegetables. So, I'm thinking it just might get taken away from you and possibly create a major headache for
    yourself. You could try not to declare it if you want to play that game but probably not worth the mojitos should you get caught.

As much as I would love to take my own mint with me...I know it's a no-no with customs. No plants or vegatation... I would NEVER want to expose Jamaica to New Jersey bugs! hehe I am just hoping that CTI has Mint when we are there in 45 days! ALL the drinks they make are YUMMY

We had some last February at the Martini Bar at CSA. If they say they dont have any mint I suppose you could always ask one of the gardeners to give you some from the herb garden (there is plenty there) over by the sports complex and take it to the bar.

weluvjamaica makes an excellent point.

Anyone who's grown mint at home knows that it not something you want to have escape into your yard... it is a very invasive species and difficult to control, not too unlike Creeping Jenny or even worse, Creeping Charlie.

Now, mint leaves may not present a problem for the authorities, but do you really want to delay your arrival at Couples standing in the "Items to Declare" line in Jamaican Customs? I suggest taking your chances that mint will be available, OR fake it with a tiny splash of creme de mint or schnapps (yuck) in your rum.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I am a big mojito fan and every time we have gone to Couples I ask for mojitos and they never have the mint. Maybe its the time of year we go, not sure, we go in Oct/Nov time frame.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

They were drinking them up at CN when we were there in February. Not a mojito fan though so I don't know about mint, but it seemed they were constantly making them the short couple of hours I was at the beach bar each day.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs2cool View Post
    Isn't bringin plants or vegitation into the country not allowed? That would include "fresh mint"
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by yookster View Post
    I am a big mojito fan and every time we have gone to Couples I ask for mojitos and they never have the mint. Maybe its the time of year we go, not sure, we go in Oct/Nov time frame.
    2 years ago they had mint at CSA, last year they did not have any. Both times were in late Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    We had some last February at the Martini Bar at CSA. If they say they dont have any mint I suppose you could always ask one of the gardeners to give you some from the herb garden (there is plenty there) over by the sports complex and take it to the bar.
    That's great to know!!! I will definitely look into this if they say they are out of mint on the other side of the road. Thanks for the tip.

Since the mint is the drink is used for the flavoring, could you use mint extract like you find the baking aisle of the grocery story? I am not a mojito drinker so I am not sure this would work but would be easier to pack than fresh mint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast