Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do you have to be a COUPLE couple to book at this resort? or..

Hi..I booked my wedding for June 2012 and we are debating if we are going to do this alone, or with just immediate family. Question that is a possible issue is, I have 2 younger sisters 18 n 20...would it be an issue if they booked at the resort in a room together. They are not a romantic couple, but they are 2 people and are sisters.

I know they couple scene isnt going to be the funnest thing for them, but our dad would b there and they are still young so its not an option for them to bring a date. I was just wondering how this is looked upon from the staff? or if its even "allowed".

If we do decide to invite immediate family, i need to make sure i know if it should just do "parents only" or if we can include our siblings.

thanks for the advice!

Couples really is for couples. Although they do allow exceptions for wedding parties, you might want to consider booking your sisters into one of the nearby resorts, such as Idle Awhile, which is just a short walk down the beach. I know I would NOT have wanted to be at a couples resort with my sister when I was 18 or 20. The vibe at Couples is very special since they do cater to couples. On the flip side, can you imagine if Couples allowed 18 and 20 year brothers?? Oh, I can only imagine the mayhem. I say, Keep Couples for couples!!!

Here it is from the Couples wedding FAQS page...
    "WEDDING GUESTS
    SINGLES As a 'couples only' resort, we must limit the number of singles attending a wedding. Once a group contract, comprised of at least 10 paying rooms, one single room can be made available. For groups of 20 rooms or more, a maximum of 5% of the group may be single persons. In all cases, all rooms must be paid at the standard double occupancy rate...." (It goes on about off resort guests and children)
    I would contact Couples directly, especially if you aren't going to have 10 rooms (20 people).
    We had 14 guests, but two of those were my adult niece (who was my MOH) and a female friend of hers. They would have rather been there with men, lol, but it worked out fine for them. There was always so much for them to do - golf, diving, snorkeling, water skiing... and the staff were always very friendly and courteous. No problems there. A few guests might get their noses out of joint, but as long as the girls aren't expecting to "party", it should be fine. That's my opinion, but I know some people hate having anyone at the resort who isn't a couple, no matter how well they were to behave.

There are a percentage of singles that are allowed for a wedding. You may not have to go that route though. We went one year with a lot of couples, however two of the guys couldn't go so their wives went and shared a room. They were treated like any other person at the resort. They had a great time.

We were married on the beach at CSA in 2006 & I had all the same questions...it's not a problem...I think everyone has to be at least 18, but you should probably verify the minimum age...normally, only 'couples' are allowed to book rooms, but exceptions are made for weddings...there always ends up being lots of non-couples, since all the resorts have so many weddings.

Quote Originally Posted by All_for_fun View Post
    We were married on the beach at CSA in 2006 & I had all the same questions...it's not a problem...I think everyone has to be at least 18, but you should probably verify the minimum age...normally, only 'couples' are allowed to book rooms, but exceptions are made for weddings...there always ends up being lots of non-couples, since all the resorts have so many weddings.
    Randymon - please clarify the rules on single guests so there isn't a problem with "lots non-couples" at all the resorts, weddings or not.

Well, my sisters definitely wouldnt be looking to party..cause our dad, and their mom would b there and lets say we all act like angels when daddy is around hahah. I just wanted to feel out the question. I know many people dont like "singles" at the resort and I myself love the fact its a "couples" resort and no kids allowed!! as i have four and am looking forward to an adult atmosphere! If my dad decided to bring my 2 sisters I just didnt know if they would get turned away once they arrived if they didnt appear to b a romantic couple....i almost would love to just have me and my fiance there! with no worries of things like this hahah

Do you "have to"? No

SHOULD you to preserve that atmosphere? IMO; yes.

Here's a blurb you can find on the main website, and the reason so many of us keep coming back...Jamaica has plenty of other resorts.

ROMANCE
    Our four all-inclusive boutique resorts are designed as the ultimate escape for two.

By offering personalized five-star service in Jamaica's most idyllic natural settings, we create a carefree and nurturing environment—that encourages you to forget about everything except enjoying each other.

Without distraction, crowds, children or schedules, our "couples only" philosophy translates into pure romance from the moment you arrive. Whether playing in the sea, dancing under the stars, indulging in spa treatments or simply lying together in a hammock on your balcony, this vacation is all about you and the one you love.

Some call it quality time. Others call it intimacy. Here in Jamaica, we call it irie (I-ree)—or simply, beautiful.

There was a wedding party with singles at CSA when we were there last year and I didn't feel like they detracted from my Couples experience at all.

I had 38 people at our wedding at CN in June. We had several "non couples" that went and booked room together. Everyone had a great time and we are looking at booking another trip. Maybe by then some will have a significant other. Both my brothers brought "dates" and I had just a few others that went with friends just to experience the trip. No one bothered anyone else. I understand that it is for couples so at least it keeps a people from booking 1 person to a room.

Thanks for the info...i know other people in the resort would "frown" upon it but i wouldnt even consider it if my sisters were party animals...they are like the biggest goody-2-shoes i know..so i dont think anyone would know they are there...however i am going to tell my father that this is really a couples atmosphere and if he isnt comfortable maybe they need to go somewhere else...we shall see i guess!

Couplesvirgin2012,

Please don't fret over whether your sisters should stay at Couples or not. If Couples will allow it, then go ahead with it and move on to other more important wedding things. While there will always be comments on the message board that any singles will ruin the whole Couples atmosphere, the reality is that the few singles are probably never noticed by those commenters during their vacations at all. I'm sure that there are some incidents with single people causing some issues, but the fact of the matter is that couples cause issues as well. Either way, Couples management will deal with any issues.

I've seen wives hang around together while their husbands are off golfing or something, and no one seems to have a problem with that. So your sisters won't look or feel out of place and most likely will not be noticed, except maybe for the branded "S" on their foreheads signaling their "Single" status. However, if your sisters jump on stage and start a wet t-shirt contest, well, then, um..... what was I talking about? Oh yeah, the bottom line is, if your sisters can respect what Couples is all about, then they will be fine.

Why would you bring singles to a resort called COUPLES??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

If it's important to bring your sisters, then maybe get married at another resort and honeymoon at Couples? Or go with the plan of having the singles stay at Idle Awhile?

On one of our trips there were a couple of teenage boys (there for a wedding, I guess), who were really out of place....I felt badly for them, as they really didn't seem to be having much fun.....and I felt annoyed at their parents for thinking this was a good idea....

Although you only asked for staff input, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents....

I hope you enjoy your couples experience at CSA!

Couplesvirgin 2012,

I hope you don't listen to some of these negative comments. We were married at CSA in 2008. We didn't have any single guests come to the wedding, but only because none of my single family/friends were able to make it. I have been to Couples and have seen large wedding parties with single guests, but don't feel like that detracted from my stay at all! This is your special day and Couples is a wonderful place to get married and I understand why you would want your family to be there. I say choose Couples and you will not regret it!

Jen

Imho singles aren't a problem with small weddings. But weve seen several large wedding parties get loud and really ruin the romantic atmosphere for everyone at Couples. I understand the festive atmosphere at a wedding, but a reception hall is a more suited place for that type of party. There are lots of other resorts that are more suited for larger weddings. We were married at one of the shoe resorts, small wedding. We wouldnt have dreamed of imposing a large wedding party on other people trying to have a relaxing romantic vacation, again just mho.

Well put gonegril - that's why it's called COUPLES, a resort where couples can enjoy a romantic break, why spoil it for those folks who book Couples Resorts precisely because there are no singles there? As gonegril says why not honemoon at Couples and enjoy just being alone together in a resort that's pure romance?

Mad about tennis

Jen-

Why is it "negative" to remind the OP that this is a COUPLES resort? If someone wants to invite single friends to a Jamaica wedding, there are other resorts that will cater to them.

If I wanted to stay at a resort that allowed children and/or single people, I wouldn't spend the money I do to stay at a Couples.

Some of you folks must have had some horrible experiences with the dreaded singles you have encountered in your vacationing past... the scars some of you seem to bear seem insurmountable.

As for my wife and I... it makes no difference to us at all if some singles stay at Couples (yes, I know what it's called) to attend the weddings of their loved ones. I'm sure Couples, Randymon, etc... can be trusted to handle this very capably and in a way that will protect all who have an intense dislike of having any single people around the resort. Relax folks, trust the system and trust Couples to make the decisions that need to be made.

We've stayed at Couples five or six times now, and I think we've encountered single guests on each trip (or close to it). The only reason we knew they were single is because we ended up in conversation not because they were conspicuous. I imagine there are more "single" (read not in a current relationship as opposed to being at the resort alone) guests scattered among the various properties at a given time than most people would realize. It's not a common theme, but it's certainly not unknown, particularly with wedding parties.

I personally don't understand how the mere presence of what sound like two perfectly lovely young women would detract from anyone's "Couples" experience, particularly when they're there to celebrate a family wedding. And as for your sisters' comfort or enjoyment, I can say that while it's probably not the ideal vacation for most single people that age, I can think of a lot worse than spending a few quiet days sitting on a gorgeous beach in the Caribbean with family.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    Some of you folks must have had some horrible experiences with the dreaded singles you have encountered in your vacationing past... the scars some of you seem to bear seem insurmountable.

As for my wife and I... it makes no difference to us at all if some singles stay at Couples (yes, I know what it's called) to attend the weddings of their loved ones. I'm sure Couples, Randymon, etc... can be trusted to handle this very capably and in a way that will protect all who have an intense dislike of having any single people around the resort. Relax folks, trust the system and trust Couples to make the decisions that need to be made.
    We are one of those couples that experienced some singles in a negative way--I think they thought they were on spring break. Randy was not at the resort and the gm wasn't around at the time. Luckily they left on our 3 rd day. My hubby and I want to renew our vows and we want our sons to attend. One is not old enough, but he is a teenager and the other only recently got into a serious relationship. So until such time as they can attend and follow the policies that Couples has set forth, we will wait or look to somewhere else.
    Vicky

We were just at CN in August and ran into three groups that were not true couples - but it was adult family. It was hardly noticed, although I was a little surprised. I do like the earlier suggestion of two resorts - we were married in Hawaii and moved to a different hotel after the wedding for the honeymoon (also kicked all the family off the island!). Kind of keeps it special just for the two of you!

I prefer the idea of couples only.

Oh my, I have met many "singles" at couples who were there for weddings or get togethers, It has never bothered
    me or my husband. We have found that most single people at the resorts respect the "couple" in Couples and have had fun since there is no flirting or other issues. I say bring them, enjoy, mix and mingle!!!
    It's your day and honeymoon. Enjoy!

We go to COUPLES because it is a romantic place for COUPLES. We pay more to go here for this reason. Why is it unreasonable or negative to expect all to respect that? I agree get married somewhere else and honeymoon at Couples. I have nothing against singles at all. I just expect romance and intimacy and if Couples changes that aspect we will be sad, but will go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    Couplesvirgin2012,

Please don't fret over whether your sisters should stay at Couples or not. If Couples will allow it, then go ahead with it and move on to other more important wedding things. While there will always be comments on the message board that any singles will ruin the whole Couples atmosphere, the reality is that the few singles are probably never noticed by those commenters during their vacations at all. I'm sure that there are some incidents with single people causing some issues, but the fact of the matter is that couples cause issues as well. Either way, Couples management will deal with any issues.

I've seen wives hang around together while their husbands are off golfing or something, and no one seems to have a problem with that. So your sisters won't look or feel out of place and most likely will not be noticed, except maybe for the branded "S" on their foreheads signaling their "Single" status. However, if your sisters jump on stage and start a wet t-shirt contest, well, then, um..... what was I talking about? Oh yeah, the bottom line is, if your sisters can respect what Couples is all about, then they will be fine.

Almost word for word what I was going to say. There already ARE non-couples there all the time and most people probably never notice. Not to mention there are plenty of groups of couples where the men hang out together and so do the woman. That's essentially the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast