Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Men's Dress Shoes Suggestion

To all: I felt bad for my husband wearing his dress shoes and SOCKS in Jamaica for the fancy restuarants - especially when I can wear dress sandals. Looking through the Harrington catalog I think I found the answer for him and others of you out there. They have several models of boat shoes. The pair I picked for him (on back order - so I'm crossing my fingers we'll get them and they'll be perfect) are supposed to feel like wearing mocassins and one doesn't have to wear socks with them. Check out www.HerringtonCatalog.com. In the catalogue they're listed for $69.99 but on-line you can get them for $10 less, normally they're $120.

I wear closed toed sandals with no socks. As long as they are close toed and look nice, no one will care.

I always find it amusing at the great lengths some folks go to get around the dress code requirements at the higher end restaurants, and for what turns out to be rarely more than two hours max per visit. And shoes seems to be the leading contender for these actions. Are they really that much of a pain to wear, or is it more of a packing issue?
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

So dress code requires closed toed shoes in the higher end restaurants? Getting married in Oct at CSS, good thing to find out before we get there.

I purchased a pair Sanuk sidewalk surfers (named "Kingston" of course) for our trip to CN this past March. They are the most comfortable sandals I have ever worn. I wore them sockless to dinners as well as everywhere else. I ended up buying a couple more pairs when we got back. Thet sell for $48-$55 and come in a variety of colors and designs. Some only come in full sizes. I normally wear 8-1/2 and the size 9 fits perfectly.

Check them out at http://www.sanuk.com/products/225136

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    I always find it amusing at the great lengths some folks go to get around the dress code requirements at the higher end restaurants, and for what turns out to be rarely more than two hours max per visit. And shoes seems to be the leading contender for these actions. Are they really that much of a pain to wear, or is it more of a packing issue?
    good point i was curious would a pair of flippers from the water sports shed be considered closed toe? i would have to believe so.
    So if any other wives feel bad about their men wearing shoes or dont want to pack you may want to investigate this creative "get around "

Ron and Rosa,
    Shouldn't that be 0 for 4 club? If so, we're members, too!

Sperry's are great!

I don't think boat shoes without socks is trying to get around anything. There is no stipulation that socks must be worn, and my docksiders with a nice pair of linen slacks and a polo shirt have been acceptable attire for three visits. It is a matter of looking nice while still maintaining a comfort level.

I realize that the area is a beach but man, c'mon...you're there w/ the wifey/husband/boyfriend etc. Its not going to hurt to dress up a little.
    影舞葉

Quote Originally Posted by cwaters4 View Post
    So dress code requires closed toed shoes in the higher end restaurants? Getting married in Oct at CSS, good thing to find out before we get there.
    Check out the dining page for the specific dress code at CSS: http://couples.com/14cs/44diningCS.htm Have fun!

Yeah, my hubby never wears socks either. Just the long pants and closed toe. His are actually a leather sandal. Here's a pic of what shoes he wears every trip and has never had a problem at any of the resorts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Actually the dress codes states "closed shoes" for men, not "closed toe".

Hubby wears socks and shoes to Feathers and he is quite comfortable. It's actually quite chilly in there some evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    I realize that the area is a beach but man, c'mon...you're there w/ the wifey/husband/boyfriend etc. Its not going to hurt to dress up a little.
    rock- negril might just be the capital of casual..... if so many folks want to get dressed up for dinner god bless them just keep in mind negril is not NYC,vegas or miami it is negril. A strip of beach "established" in the late 50's and 60s as a place for bohemians to hang, smoke, paint make music.
    I am still curious why so many people would go to couples with their SO go to a wonderfully romantic dinner and pay so much attention to the foot wear of the other patrons ? Can someone enlighten us on this dynamic? There must be something to it since we see these posts each week and the passion in the answers is very prevelant. just a note rock we love getting dressed up living in nyc trying new resturants never gets old

Amy,

Just wanted to say always have appreciated your great help!

Hubby got some leather sandals that are called Fisherman sandals...love 'em!

Yep. "Boat" style shoes, no socks, worked for me. dinner isn't long, the rooms are nearby, he can always change back into sandals after dinner if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by cakes View Post
    Ron and Rosa,
    Shouldn't that be 0 for 4 club? If so, we're members, too!
    LOL - Cakes, dang if you ain't right! Ok, sig has been changed to be numerically accurate.

And now we're a club of four (counting our significant others, natch).
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

To Lou - Thanks for your comment on 8/18 - that's exactly what I was trying to accomplish - comfort as well as some style. Vicki

Ok I hate Crocs just as bad if not worse as most people BUT I found these while I was looking the other day.
    http://www.journeys.com/product.aspx?id=94613

Men's toes are very ugly and I fully respect the closed toe shoe requirement. My husband wears an old pair of dress casual black shoes without socks and just deals with it for the few hours. The meal is well worth the effort.
    ... it keepsh me shane

I agree... If you don't like the dress code... don't go to those restaurants.
    -Otter,

Why all this talk and worry about closed shoes for men? Surely its no big deal to dress up a little for one or two evenings. If you wear shorts, T shirts and flip flops all year isnt it refreshing to do something different?
    I do find that this issue bothers American guests far more than European, but I dont know why.

Shoes w/o socks is a little...uhhhh, ghetto! You got to dress to impress.
    影舞葉

Looking forward to our first Couples experience in a week or so, going to CN, apart from the "dress up" restaurant can anyone tell us if smart dress type shorts are ok for the other restaurants?
    And while on the restaurant subject what is the smoking policy, we are both non smokers.

Shoes w/o socks is a little...uhhhh, ghetto! You got to dress to impress.
    rock impress whom? I will ask and hopefully someone can provide an answer
    If you are at couples with your SO and enjoying a truely wonderful/romantic dinner how and why would another patrons attire come into your focus. Someone must be able to explain this dynamic. I agree 100 with the listed dress code and do agree it should be " honored" but please help us understand the obsession on policing other patrons attire during a romantic dinner. Looking forward to the responses

ps rock if you ever get a chance to go to the cape,nantucket or hyannis i am not so sure those folks will agree with the no sox +shoes == ghetto lol..

Quote Originally Posted by photochick View Post
    Ok I hate Crocs just as bad if not worse as most people BUT I found these while I was looking the other day.
    http://www.journeys.com/product.aspx?id=94613
    Wow. Those aren't bad at all.
    Last edited by cypresspeeps; August 23rd, 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast