Default How accurate are the weather forecasts?

We are due to arrive 9/22 at CTI. (Very excited) Since we are now within the window where we can check the weather outlook, I would like to know how accurate it is? I'm not looking for a meterologist response, but more so "Hey we were looking out 5 days and said rain everyday, but when we got there, it rained 1 day and was sunny the rest"

For instance... right now they forecast today and the next 5 days scattered T-storms, but how's the weather at the moment at CTI?

We don't mind if it will rain for some periods throughout our stay, but we are hoping for at least a few days of nice weather

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Dont Look at the weather, one there is nothing you can do about it and secondly, I dont think you will ever see a forcast for Jamaica that doesnt call for some kind of rain.

It always says scattered thunderstorms around this time of year, because it's the "wet season". However, you really won't know until you get there, but if you are worried about any tropical storms, check out stormcarib.com stormpulse.com or wunderground.com. All 3 sites allow you to follow tropical systems off the coast of Africa, all the way into the Caribbean. Even if there is just a storm system that not at the rated level, you will see some red in the area on the radar. Any of the typical meterological forecasts, such as a certain channel that never knows what's going on, are not even worth paying attention to. The tropical updates on stormcarib.com are written by people that are actually on the islands and are a great source of info.
    Last edited by dank120; September 16th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Let me tell you Bricks41, went to Cabo San Lucas a few years ago and I checked the weather for weeks before we went and literaly had me sick to my stomach!!! It never rained once the whole 7 days so I think anytime you pull up the weather in the caribbean its going to show scattered showers so no worries!!

I'm wondering the same thing. We'll be in CN on the 19th, and the weather forecast shows a 60% chance rain all week. I'm wondering if that's the normal afternoon shower I've been reading about or if it's going to be more than that.

The ones we got when we were there last year were accurate. To tell the truth it rained almost everyday...for just a few minutes though. Then the skies cleared right up and you ended up not even noticing it. We were on our honeymoon too...so it wasn't like we were adverse to finding something to do in our room either ;o

Bricks, check the weather forecast for the next twelve months and I think you'll find that on almost everyday it'll show thunderstorms. Most last for 10 - 20 minutes (and some more and some less) but most of the time it'll be fine. It's best to read the weather explanations rather than rely on icons on a smart phone or a weather website. Go into one of the Jamaica tourist sites and read it through or jsut search for weather related queries here on the main board. 'What will the weather be like?' must be the question asked most often. I did just that but a few weeks ago. No worries!

Is your weatherman accurate for his 2-week forecast at home? No.

You will find that the weather in the tropics is very balanced and consistent... lots of sun, adequate rain, plenty of heat. Voila!... Tropical paradise!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thanks for the responses. As I said, we will not be overly obesssed about it, but it's nice to have a general idea of what to expect. Also, agreed, it's the weather and there is not a damn thing you can do about it! Lol!

3 more days of work and away we go!!!

We just got back from a week's stay at CSS. I checked the forecast before we left, and it said scattered showers every day. We had 15 minutes of light sprinkles on one day. The remaining six days were sunny and dry.

Not unusual to have a brief shower or rain for about 15 to 20 minutes while there. Maybe only 1 or 2 days of your trip maybe 3 or 4 or more, or not at all. Enjoy it, it is truly liquid sunshine in Jamaica and gives you an excuse for other delightful things to do. Which could include just sitting on the beach enjoying the gentle rain rinsing your body. That is what we usually do if it happens to us in February, cause at home it would be that terrible 4 letter word that begins with S and ends with NOW.