Default Golf club rentals at Negril Hills

Has anyone recently rented clubs at Negril Hills? How good are they and at what cost? I played there back in 2008 and their clubs were terrible. They were cheap K-Mart quality clubs and they weren't even complete matching sets. I was so glad that I brought my own. I'm planning on playing a few times this December and with baggage fees would like to leave my set home. Thanks for your help!
    74 more days till we're back home...Irie Mon!
    Steve

Its been a while since I travelled with my clubs, but the last time I did, they counted as one bag. Of course, back then, you could pack one bag for free. If you have a soft-pack travel bag, you can fit a LOT of clothing in the bag, so that might be an option. I would also check with your airline to check out its policy on athletic equipment... perhaps they treat clubs differently than regular baggage.

As for Negril Hills' equipment, again, its been a number of years since we've been there (sand gravity, you know), but last time they had reasonable quality, but not big brand names to be sure. But I wouldn't say they were "terrible". I don't know of anyone who enjoys using "other" clubs; that's why we buy our own after all.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I played Negril Hills four mornings in a row in early July this past summer. I took my clubs (and did pack a LOT of stuff in with the clubs!) since I decided to play so much. The rental clubs looked fine to me. They varied in price from $18 to $40 for 18 holes and you can sort of pick a set you like. There were Adams, Callaways, and a couple of other brands available. One guy we played with rented and sort of picked through some of the bags to put together a set to use with the stiff shafts he preferred. If I were only going to play once or twice I wouldn't take my clubs, but would just rent since my clubs are nothing special anyway. Even if you do plan to rent though you should take some balls and tees with you, esp balls because they are far cheaper at home than in Jamaica. We used a caddie named 'Shern'. He was a very nice young man with an adorable daughter he is trying to support. I will continue to request him as he was friendly, helpful, and enjoyable to be around.
    All the best -

The cost is on the Couples website here:
    http://couples.com/golf.pdf
    It doesn't mention what clubs are used though.

From what I remember last year looking at the rental clubs, they are Callaways. I never rent, but always bring my own clubs down as we golf several times while we are there.

I do know that they upgraded all the rental clubs recently - they looked pretty good when I saw them, and the people who used them did not seem to complain.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We have three couples going again and two of us guys brought our own clubs last time. Our buddy who didn't has a 6 handicap and had to rent a set from the caddie the second time we played because the rental was so bad. So I just checked Caribbean Airlines baggage policy. We get to check two bags (50 lbs. max each) and a carry on for free...such a deal! I'm going to pack light this trip and may just have a carry on and my golf bag. As long as I don't feel like it'll be a pain dragging my bag in the terminals or over pack again, I'd rather play with my own clubs. If anyone else will be at CSA with us or at CN December 3rd - 10th, we'll see you on the beach or the links!
    Enjoy, Steve

I also hate dragging my clubs with me, but there is just something familiar about playing with my own clubs that I just deal with the pain of taking my clubs. I'm always glad I did.

I never thought of packing stuff in my golf bag. Great idea!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

nothing like the familarity of your own clubs!!
    Randi & Sherri
    (Pork Chop)