Thread: Prices went up?

Default Prices went up?

Does it feel like prices for the winter months went up to anyone else? I have been looking at the package deals, so it could be airfare, could be couples, could be both? As much as we love couples, I'm not sure if its in the books for us. Anyone else notice a price hike this year, or am I out of touch with reality? Any ideas?
    MouLouHill

Prices do go up about every year and the winter is the most expensive time to travel there.

Randy posted a "Fair Warning" post a few months back...

I think they have raised the rates. Best way to find out is use their booking engine but only cost out the hotel. Also, I think the rates go up as you get closer to the date. For the past three trips my wife and I paid just around $3k for 7 nights indluding air, this year it is about $3.5k including air

Quote Originally Posted by jjprescott View Post
    I think they have raised the rates. Best way to find out is use their booking engine but only cost out the hotel. Also, I think the rates go up as you get closer to the date. For the past three trips my wife and I paid just around $3k for 7 nights indluding air, this year it is about $3.5k including air
    Ya, thats about right. Beacuse we end up paying somewhere in the low $4k's for 10 nights. I htink this year my parents paidl like $3500 for 7 nights (including fligt). But we book in early spring for our Oct/Nov trip. I think your right that the closer you get the rates go up for the resort and flights...but thats should be expected I guess. We already booked for 2012 just in case the rates go up and we will probably book for 2013 when we get from this years trip to lock in the rate.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Did you book together on couples website, and which resort are you going?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjprescott View Post
    MouLouHill

Yes, we have increased the hotel rate more aggressively than the package rate.

Book before October 31 as rates will increase again on November 1.

Couples Resorts

While the rates at Couples has gone up every year since we have been going, it is the air fare prices that have become the stumbling block for us. I find the Couples increases to be well within reason and have not dissuaded us from traveling to Jamaica. However, air fares have gone up in huge chunks over the years. Plus the availability of flights and times has been reduced. It seems that there are fewer and more costly choices for getting there every year. I suppose that is the world we live in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    While the rates at Couples has gone up every year since we have been going, it is the air fare prices that have become the stumbling block for us. I find the Couples increases to be well within reason and have not dissuaded us from traveling to Jamaica. However, air fares have gone up in huge chunks over the years. Plus the availability of flights and times has been reduced. It seems that there are fewer and more costly choices for getting there every year. I suppose that is the world we live in these days.
    I agree with this. The cost of getting to Jamaica is becoming higher and more of a hassle, especially if you have to fly from a smaller airport to get to a gateway airport. Because of this we have downgraded to the cheapest room we can get this year, really we don't stay in it anyway other then to sleep and clean up in, so it will help offset the cost of flying. 4 years ago it cost us a little over $800 total to fly round trip. That is now doubled for the exact same flights. Room rates have gone up some, but not enough that I even notice them.

smroot,

We are doing the same exact thing this year. Our last trip we have stayed in the GHJS at CSA (booked a great Wed Special), but this year we are staying in the GHVS. Our flights too have previously (as recently as just 2 years ago) been about $800 round trip, but we paid $1500 this year. Even staying in the lowest category, our total trip cost is a couple hundred dollars more than previous trips. We half-way called ourselves considering canceling our trip due to the crazy airfare...but we couldn't bring ourselves to do it! 6 nights at CSA + roundtrip airfare from hometown airport = $4,000; 6 night total escape from reality = priceless!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Wife and I went to CSS on October 3, 2010. Spent 5 nights in Beachfront Suite. The cost was $2,200. The same time this year is about $3,000. Obviously, the largest difference is the airfare portion of our package. Last year the airfare worked out to $900. This year it is about $1300.
    It must be difficult for Couples to justify increases. But energy and food prices have drastically increased around the world. Also I am sure that Couples knows exactly when to discount rates. I am sure there are times when it is more economically responsible to be at 75% capacity than to be at 100%.