Default Flight Transfers...question

Love the idea of getting to CSA asap after landing...whwn we hit mobay in Jan we don;7't land until 4:30 ish..knowing Virgin we will be late! Do the flights to Negril only go during daylight? I suspect so...Thanks

The Negril airstrip does not have any lights, so all flights must arrive during daylight hours.

Yes, only during daylight hours. There are no runway lights in Negril. It really is just a strip of concrete that you land on, no tower to direct the pilot, simply done all by sight. The sun goes down about 6:00 - 6:30 so you just might be able to take a flight. Check out the Airlink website and see what their flight times are. This will give you an idea of how late they fly.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Yes... that is true... the Negril Aerodrome is a daylight-only (VIR?) operation.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Yes, they fly only during daylight because there are no runway lights in Negril.

Hi Caznsi, if you're travelling with Virgin I suspect you're coming in from the UK. We flew Virgin last year to MoBay and landed about 4.45pm. You're right, unfortunately Tim Air only fly during daylight hours. We got the shuttle bus and the journey actually went really quickly. I think I slept most of the way!

We decided to get the Tim Air flight back to MoBay at the end of our holiday. It was a great experience but I'm not sure it saves you that much time in reality.

We're headed back to CSA/CN this November so if you've got any questions, please shout!

Regards
    Cathy

Yes - flights to Negril are scheduled only during daylight hours. There are no lights on the landing strip.

Thanks all...we really should have gone for the Thomson's flight which goes earlier....Looking forward to getting back to our Holiday Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes... that is true... the Negril Aerodrome is a daylight-only (VIR?) operation.
    You were close, it is called VFR for visual flight rules, and when we fly in the system, talking to Air Traffic Controllers, towers, ground and so forth, it is called IFR. You can be on an IFR flight plan and land at a non-towered airport, I do it all the time. My wife and I are thinking about taking the flight to Negril our next trip, and since I am qualified to fly the type of aircraft they use, I am hoping to long a couple of minutes just to say I operated in Jamaican Air Space.

smroot - I had to reply because on our first time using TimAir last year, Bob rode in the front seat next to Curtis, while I sat in the back. About midway through our flight to Negril, Curtis turned to Bob and said, "now you fly the plane, mon." Keep in mind that Bob has never flown a plane in his life, and he's a little bit toasted from drinking on the flight down to MoBay. Of course, Bob merely steered the plane for a minute or two, why Curtis had the controls well in hand. However, it was one of the highlights of our trip. If you mention to Curtis that you are a pilot, you may get a chance to "steer" also.