Default Mayfield Falls Questions

We have decided to make ourselves escape "Sand Gravity" for at least one day on our trip to CSA this year and are wanting to visit Mayfield Falls. I know this can be arranged through the resort, but am not clear about a couple things:

1. When you book through the resort, do you pay for the entire excursion excluding tips or do they just set up a driver for you?

2. How much does this excursion typically cost (including driver, entrance fee, etc)?

3. Does the entrance fee cover lunch? If not, would you suggest we eat there or is there a particular local place we should check out on the way back?

4. I have read of a lighthouse that someone recommended we check out on the way back to the resort. Is there any entrance fee associated with this or just a tip for the keeper?

Thanks for any and all input! Only 16 more sleeps!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

We went there about 8 years ago with our kids - great excursion. We enjoyed it more than Dunns River Falls. Back then, you pay for the whole thing at the resort and it included the excursion and van transportation. Don't remember the cost but it did include lunch (Jerk something or other - it was good).

Don't remember the lighthouse but we were in a van with several others so I don't think they would've stopped for it. We came from another hotel near Rose Hall (with kids - remember!) so the transportation from Negril may be different.

The only negative of Mayfield Falls was that we were supposed to get a DVD of our excursion delivered to our hotel, but never received it. We hadn't paid for it - were going to do that when it was delivered but never got it. Oh well....it was a great time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by aurxdoc05 View Post
    We have decided to make ourselves escape "Sand Gravity" for at least one day on our trip to CSA this year and are wanting to visit Mayfield Falls. I know this can be arranged through the resort, but am not clear about a couple things:

1. When you book through the resort, do you pay for the entire excursion excluding tips or do they just set up a driver for you?

ANS: Do not think it includes entrance fee only te transportation

2. How much does this excursion typically cost (including driver, entrance fee, etc)?

ANS: $85 PP

3. Does the entrance fee cover lunch? If not, would you suggest we eat there or is there a particular local place we should check out on the way back?

ANS: No we brought lunch with us.

4. I have read of a lighthouse that someone recommended we check out on the way back to the resort. Is there any entrance fee associated with this or just a tip for the keeper?

Thanks for any and all input! Only 16 more sleeps!
    Hope these answers help. We went and had a blast. We hired Andre ( Longback) who sells cigars and cigarettes on the beach, our entire day with entrance and tips was about $160. We left at 9AM and brought a few sandwiches and patties with us for lunch.

We did that a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. They have some really good guides that took good care of me because I was a little scared when the water got a little deeper(I can't swim). It never got any deeper than my waist and the guide told everyone where to safely step. There is a natural jacuzzi that he helped us get into and out of and an area that people could swim under. You are walking in the river for the most part of the trip. When you are done with that, they take you through a natural preserve-like where they will show you coconuts, cocoa bean tree, etc. We had lunch there, but they did try to tell us that we had to pay for it. We paid for the excurtion from the CN desk and the brochure said lunch was including. My only advise is to take that brochure along to show them that lunch is included. They have lockers to keep your "suff" in, but not in very good shape. Take water proof cameras if possible, but the guides will take care of cameras and take pictures if you need or want to "get wet". Do not apply sunscreen before you go. They want to keep the place very natural and will ask you not to apply that. We were there on a very warm day, but that was not a problem because there is a lot of shade while walking the river way. It is not as crowded "touristy" as Dunn River. Be prepared to tip your guides when you are done.
    Karin

if you dont book through the resort entrance to mayfield falls is 15US. The guides will be with you take pictures video tell you about the vegetation etc and do a wonderful job. they work off of tips...

Hire a driver and go to mayfield falls have some lunch in sav-lalmar then head to the west end litehouse. The inn keeper will tell you the history of the lighthouse show you around the property and take you on a climb to the top. There is no cost but we always tip him a few bucks for his hospitality, time and knowledge,

booking through the resort does include transportation entrance fees etc...you will go staright there and straight back
    Randi & Sherri
    (Pork Chop)

Give me an e-mail ... I'll put you in touch with a really good tour operator that might be able to help "hook you up" with another couple or so for your Mayfield trip. October being low season, there may still be time to set something up.

chris dot bevers at sbcglobal dot net
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thanks for the info! The sunscreen tip is great to know...because I certainly would have applied. 13 more sleeps....CAN.NOT.WAIT!!!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Don't worry about sunscreen as it is pretty shady, you will have a lovely visit but it is quite a way from negril and the roads are hairy!! Wouldn't have missed it for the world though. We booked via the hotel and were on our own for the trip but the driver was great and the tour guide wonderful. Enjoy the washing machine!