Default Honeymoon Booked! Dolphins?

Hi Everyone!

My fiancee and I just booked CSA from 6/5/12-6/12/12. Cant wait! We have decided to go with a BFVS. Im sure some questions will come up over the next months but for now just 1. Has anyone ever done the Dolphin excursion and if so is it worth it? Looking forward to using this message board and cant wait until June 5th!

Congratulations on your honeymoon,

My bf and I are headed to CSA in 10 days, first getaway together, first time to Couples so I can't help with you with what the excursion is like but it was always a dream of mine to do a swim with the dolphins some day. Unfortunately I didn't realize where these dolphins come from until I started researching dolphin swims recently and came across this website http://www.savejapandolphins.org/ and http://www.thecovemovie.com/, it is a breathtaking and beautiful movie, the crew risked their lives to film this and it opened our eyes to the fact that each year during dolphin season (which is happening right now) hundreds of dolphins are herded into this cove by 'banger boats' the pretty and young are removed and sold to aquariums and dolphin swim facilities and the rest are ruthlessly slaughtered right in the water for their meat. Ric O'Barry has worked tirelessly to bring awareness to this hunting and encourages people to support dolphin watching instead of dolphin swims.
    Please think on this before you support any dolphin swim facilities.

thanks so much for listening,
    Kerry

We did it when we were a CN Decmeber 2010. It was well worth it for me, but I am a Dolphn lover and it was a dream of mine to swim with them. It is on the way back towards Montego in Lucea. It takes about 45 minutes to get there. It was $175 for the full swim with two dolphins and then $25 for my husband to just get in the door (rip off). We picked up 11 more people from RIU on the way. When we got there they gave us an information session and the guy was great. Then we were divided into our groups as to what program we were in. There were 8 people in my group and the person who did the information session was with us in the water too. You get in the water and there are two dolphins in there and their trainer is on the dock. You start out all lined up, shoulder to shoulder and the dolphins swim under your hands. They are so soft. Then you go back along the sides of the dock – 4 on one side and 4 on the other. They call you out in the groups you came in (so I was by myself) and you get a good 5 minutes with the dolphin just lying in front of you to stroke them to look at them and to feel their heart beating. I asked a lot of questions about all of the marks on this dolphin and the guy was full of info – it was great. Then we got to go out one by one and the dolphins swam up behind me and I grabbed onto their dorsal fin and they swam away with me! I was amazed at how strong they were and how fast! It was awesome. Then we got to go further out and I had to lay on my stomach with my feet pointed down and the dolphins came up behind me and pushed my feet and pushed me through the water. Again amazing! After that we got to each dance with them while holding their fins. Very cool. They ended it with us having them swim under our hands again and then they jumped out of the water a few times. Awesome. They take pictures and video of the whole thing. My husband had to stay pretty far away – they don’t let anyone unless they paid down by the water. But he videotaped the whole thing. I did buy the disc with the pictures though. It was $70 for the disc and you get every picture they took of everyone. That would be a great deal if you had multiple people with you. They also had two sting rays there at a different part of the beach/Ocean area you could go touch and look at. The handler was very knowledgeable about them. I suppose that is what the $25 for my husband was – entrance to just watch me and then a few minutes with a sting ray. I thought that was pretty bad – I mean I could see $10 or something. I was nervous the bus would leave when we were with the sting rays as it did not seem like a lot of people knew about this. They had problems with our disc and it took forever to get it straight so the people were still waiting for us, I felt bad. We still got back around 1:30 or so.

Search for 'Dolphin Cove' on the message board and you will find all sorts of info.
    We married at CTI in August and we didn't do the excursion, but now I wish we had.

It's very pricey but I've heard a lot of people really enjoy it.
    Weddingmoon @ CTI August 2011
    Planning our return Home!

Well said Kerry.
    Swimming with captive dolphins is hideous and should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerryn'Jonathon View Post
    Congratulations on your honeymoon,

My bf and I are headed to CSA in 10 days, first getaway together, first time to Couples so I can't help with you with what the excursion is like but it was always a dream of mine to do a swim with the dolphins some day. Unfortunately I didn't realize where these dolphins come from until I started researching dolphin swims recently and came across this website http://www.savejapandolphins.org/ and http://www.thecovemovie.com/, it is a breathtaking and beautiful movie, the crew risked their lives to film this and it opened our eyes to the fact that each year during dolphin season (which is happening right now) hundreds of dolphins are herded into this cove by 'banger boats' the pretty and young are removed and sold to aquariums and dolphin swim facilities and the rest are ruthlessly slaughtered right in the water for their meat. Ric O'Barry has worked tirelessly to bring awareness to this hunting and encourages people to support dolphin watching instead of dolphin swims.
    Please think on this before you support any dolphin swim facilities.

thanks so much for listening,
    Kerry
    We also skip Dolphin Cove for these reasons. We would love to see and/or swim with dolphins, but only in their natural habitat. Definitely check out the movie.

They told us, at Dolphoin Cove, about every Dolphin there and they are all rescues. Injured, abandoned rescues. Maybe they are lying, but it did not seem that way. I saw the movie you are referencing and researched the dolphin swim encounter.

We were lucky enough to be able to swim with two dolphins on our last scuba dive at CSA a year and a half ago. Two dolphins came up and swam among us, went up to get air, came back and swam among us again then left and came back a third time. One of them swam so close to me that I thought I could reach out to touch it!

I don't think I would even be interested going to a "Swim With The Dolpins" place after having wild dolpins choose to swim with us.

I have been diving with wild dolphins in the water close by and also did dolphin cove in Lucea and they are two diffent things altogether. Both are amazing for what they offer.