Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Love Locks" for Couples Tower Isle

"Love Locks" for CTI.

In June my wife and I took a trip to Russia. While in Moscow we came upon a great idea that we thought we could potentially duplicate on Tower Isle. It seems that they have a custom when they get married. They take a lock down to a certain part of town on a pedestrian bridge, lock the lock on a metal tree made specifically for this purpose and throw the key in the Volga canal indicating their never ending love for one another. Hopefully the next couple of pictures will show this. If not they will be at the end of this post.

Ok, I just tried again to figure out how to post pictures on this new message board. It doesn't seem to want to let me so you'll just have to wait for the pics until I can get some professional help......

Anyway, Cynthia and I figured that we could bring a chain (galvanized so it won't rust) out to TI and attach it to the sea grape tree right next to the walkway up from the dock. On our recent July trip to CTI we carried down 20 feet of chain in our luggage. The TSA did leave us a love note in that bag but it went through. I wonder what they thought we were going to do with it?

It's now up on TI for all you new and repeat guests to add your personal love lock to the tree. There are 3 locks so far. One for Cynthia and Fred, one for Jene and Brent and one for Jene's parents Bill and Kathy. All the keys were ceremoniously tossed in the Carribbean Sea.

We hope this will become a new TI tradition. Cynthia and I will be celebrating our 41st anniversary this Oct. at CTI so this is not just for newleyweds. Foe newbies to TI it may be another romantic excuse to go over. As so many people say on this message board "once you go, you'll know."

Management liked the concept and said "maybe we'll have to start selling locks in the gift shop" but I wouldn't count on it.

Let's try to keep this thread going with those of you putting a lock on TI responding and maybe posting a picture of the lock or yourselves or whatever.

I'll post the original pics when I get that professional help.

Fred and Cynthia

Wow, I can't believe they knowingly let you throw the key into the sea. I understand the concept and it does sound cool nut, please don't throw it out into the ocean to cause damage, possibly kill something, and make more litter. There is enough junk on the bottom already.

The idea is a great one. We saw the chain when we were there last week. Next year we'll bring a lock to join the chain.

What a great idea. We will be visiting CTI for our trading places day in late Sept. We'll be first timers on the island, but will definitely be a part of the new tradition, locking in our love on the island....Thanks for letting us know! Cheers.

Splash

Since it is on the island, we'll not be participating.

Interesting concept.

What a great idea! :-D

Does anyone have any idea on the lock will be pervented from rusting and becoming an eye sore. Also what if folks start to bring the nyc style store front security gate locks these are neither small nor attractive ... Can some one take pic after we get 20-30 different locks. Also to some ethnic groups a heavy metal chain with a lock on it is not a positive image/symbol.

What a neat idea. My concern though is that the Island is a coral reef and it is surrounded by reef, so I wouldn't want to cause further damage by having all these keys on the reef.
    Vicky

Given coral islands have been known to form over sunken metal ships I should not believe a few small keys would be a problem. As for a chain being viewed negatively. Perhaps you should ask "certain ethnic groups" (I imagine you mean black Jamaicans) what they think of it. I suspect they will have no problem.
    In the UK we have a problem where people take offence on behalf of other people. I believe this is probably the case here.
    I certainly intend to join in this charming new tradition (assuming hotel management still allows it) when I and my wife make our first visit next year.

We would love to do this, but we don't do the AN thing. Maybe we could go over before everyone gets there, or after everyone has left for the day???

As far as littering the floor of the ocean, I seriously don't think there will be millions of keys down there. Just my opinion
    Kristen

[QUOTE=dinohants;11540]Given coral islands have been known to form over sunken metal ships I should not believe a few small keys would be a problem. As for a chain being viewed negatively. Perhaps you should ask "certain ethnic groups" (I imagine you mean black Jamaicans) what they think of it. I suspect they will have no problem.

dino good point i guess if you only ask the jamacians you meet on the resort they would have " no problem" lol... next time you come to nyc give us a jingle i'll take you up to 160st and you can take a survey Or next time you fly into Atlanta...

Quote Originally Posted by dinohants View Post
    In the UK we have a problem where people take offence on behalf of other people.

We have that problem in the US, as well. It's called being "politically correct" and I find it higly overrated! I think if people would stop looking for things to be offended over "on other people's behalf", this world would be a much better place. ONE LOVE indeed!!

Default "Love Locks For CTI"

I'm attempting to upload the pics we took in Russia which started this whole "new tradition" for CTI.

The full "Love Lock Tree"

Name:  full lock tree.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  70.5 KB

The newer love lock tree

Name:  less full lock tree.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  79.1 KB

The Volga canal where the newleyweds threw their keys.

Attachment 1145

The chain we put up on TI.

Name:  chain around tree.JPG
Views: 1949
Size:  79.7 KB

Our lock.

Name:  only lock.JPG
Views: 1933
Size:  75.6 KB

With any luck all these pics will be in the right order.

You guys are correct about the marine environment. The keys will not hurt the reef and eventually will be covered with little marine life. I scuba dive everyday I can at CTI. One of the favorite dive and snorkeling spots is the Catherine about 1 mile down the ocean towards Ocho Rios. Originally a mine sweeper in WWII, Then a fishing boat in Jamaica, now a nice addition to the reef system, sunk by the dive guys from CTI and Sandals around 1988. The same idea is why the Navy is sinking ships off the coast of Florida in shallow water. Nice additions to the marine environment.

I like to swim around TI for the exercise. I think it would be great to "find" lots of Love Keys on the rocky bottom of the Carribbean Sea!!

For those of you who do not do the au naturel thing I'm sure no one would object to a quick visit to TI to put your "Love Lock" on the chain. Who knows, you may make it over there and decide to stay.

I love that saying "Once you go, you'll know"

Fred and Cynthia
    Last edited by Seandymon; August 11th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Default "Love locks for CTI " third post

Another post to add the last few "love locks" pics.

The boys thought this was a great idea. Damion (by his own admission) is much closer to putting a lock on the chain than Errol or Terran.

Name:  boys with love chain.JPG
Views: 1949
Size:  81.3 KB

Fred and Cynthia with their lock.

Name:  C+F with lock.JPG
Views: 2530
Size:  80.3 KB

Brent with his lock for he and Jene. They are long time CTI repeat guests but Jene was not feeling well enough to come out to the island this trip. We also added a lock for Jene's parents, Kathy and Bill (they don't do TI.) but love locks are for everyone.

Name:  brent with lock.JPG
Views: 1957
Size:  73.7 KB

It's a pretty simple concept. We hope that you all find never ending love, and a great place to enjoy each other and life like we have at CTI. If you wish to express it by putting a lock on the "TI Love Lock Tree" on you next trip,post a pic to keep the thread going....

Fred and Cynthia

[QUOTE=steverandlinda;11611]
    Quote Originally Posted by dinohants View Post
    Given coral islands have been known to form over sunken metal ships I should not believe a few small keys would be a problem. As for a chain being viewed negatively. Perhaps you should ask "certain ethnic groups" (I imagine you mean black Jamaicans) what they think of it. I suspect they will have no problem.

dino good point i guess if you only ask the jamacians you meet on the resort they would have " no problem" lol... next time you come to nyc give us a jingle i'll take you up to 160st and you can take a survey Or next time you fly into Atlanta...
    Fair enough.
    I will do that. As long as you don't kidnap me and do the scene from "Die Hard" on me.
    Generally I find people understand if no offence is meant none is taken.

Here is your friendly message board horticulturalist chimming in here. If you put a bunch of chains that big on that tree when the wind kicks up which it does all the time on T.I. in time those chains will girdle, break and kill the branches of that tree. Also what about a hurricane. Flying chains a really bad projectile. Cute idea but used a necklack type of chain with a tiny luggage lock and the tree will be safe and it will look MUCH more attractive. Sorry but that big old chain looks trashy to me!
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Thanks Fred and Cynthia. That is a wonderful idea. Curtis and I will bring one in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Shari and James View Post
    Here is your friendly message board horticulturalist chimming in here. If you put a bunch of chains that big on that tree when the wind kicks up which it does all the time on T.I. in time those chains will girdle, break and kill the branches of that tree. Also what about a hurricane. Flying chains a really bad projectile. Cute idea but used a necklack type of chain with a tiny luggage lock and the tree will be safe and it will look MUCH more attractive. Sorry but that big old chain looks trashy to me!
    Well put shari - i am curious how many boardies looked at that full tree and said wow i wish i could have that in my living room. how cool would it be to see how crunk we can get that tree
    please keep the thread alive with weekly updated photos...

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Since it is on the island, we'll not be participating.

Interesting concept.
    Chicken!! Bock! Bock!! lol

Brent with his lock for he and Jene. They are long time CTI repeat guests but Jene was not feeling well enough to come out to the island this trip. We also added a lock for Jene's parents, Kathy and Bill (they don't do TI.) but love locks are for everyone.

if you dont put the lock on yourself does it have the same net effect?. Why not have two " chains of love" one on the island and on off so those who prefer to not get nekkid can still partake and use it as a powerful connection activity any thoughts?
    can we hear from the cti repeater who prefer to stay on shore as opposed ot hitting the island

steverandlinda,
    I have known Brent and Jean and her parents for years.... the reason that Brent was the only one able to make it out there is because she was not feeling well at all... her parents are very elderly people who I am sure enjoyed taking this trip with thier daughter... I really dont see how putting that chain on that tree will cause it to die..... also someone said that it looks tacky and you would want that in your living room.... well I wouldnt want that in my living room.... but the island is not my living room.... peace and love people!! Good job Mom and Dad with the chain... our locks will grace that tree in september..

Quote Originally Posted by JamericanBlonde View Post
    Chicken!! Bock! Bock!! lol
    Quiet!

LOL.

We will be adding our lock of love in December!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

It looks appropriate and kind of interesting on a bridge in Russia and completely out of place and an eye-sore on a tiny island in Jamaica...

and you say "Management" thought it was a great idea???

Oh my gosh Fred you look just like the pastor at our church! I almost had a heart attack before my brain kicked in! LOL! Love the idea by the way!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast