Default Zipline tour in Ocho Rios...

Anyone been ziplining in Ocho Rios? If so, any feed back, was it worth the extra money?

We did it a few years ago. It is in a wonderful location and the walk back to the van after was worth the price by itself. The zip lines are probably the safest I have seen and were fun. Note here: I'm a firefighter so it wasn't quite as thrilling for me as it might be for some. My fiance found it very exciting and she too loved the nature walk at the end.

I have been on the one in Ocho 3 times and the one in Mobay twice. Thru Chukka Cove, they are the best.

I would be interested in zip lining too, but am concerned about wasting most of the day driving. Wondering if it's worth it myself.

Awesome. Did it take up most of your day?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    We did it a few years ago. It is in a wonderful location and the walk back to the van after was worth the price by itself. The zip lines are probably the safest I have seen and were fun. Note here: I'm a firefighter so it wasn't quite as thrilling for me as it might be for some. My fiance found it very exciting and she too loved the nature walk at the end.
    Sounds fun. Did it take up most of your day?

Earlier this month we did the zipline with Chukka. Went to Cranbrook. It was great. We got picked up about 9AM and were back approx 12:00. Most of the time was driving and hiking. It was approx. 5 miles west of Ocho Rios before we headed up the hill. Very interesting drive up the mountain on a two-way one lane road. I would not want to do it. It was beautiful scenery and walk thru forest was nice. Really enjoyed the ziplining also. Crew made sure all safety measures were taken.

If you're staying in Ocho Rios, use Chukka. We did and had a great time. If you schedule it through the resort, they provide transportation too. They pick you up between 7 and 8 am, just depends on how many other couples are going and where they need picked up from. We were the first ones on the bus and stayed at CTI...then went to 4 other resorts to pick couples up. You should be back around lunch time. Definitely well worth the money....great experience and you get to see some of the beautiful countryside while you're at it.

Have fun!

Outside excursions (based on my experience from CSS) DO tend to take up much of the day. Most of them depart between 8:30am- 10am and you get back anytime between 1-3pm, obviously depending on the excursion.

Even on our short trips (4-5 nights), we have done 1 excursion, and always had this same discussion, but enjoyed the other experience anyway. We did Magic Mountain (tranopy triple tour - bobsled/zipline/rainforest tour) and other than the extra cost for lunch and that the tour was a bit pricier than I had hoped, it is still my favorite off-site experience in Ocho Rios. Dunn's River takes the least amount of time away from the resort (IMHO). This time we are going for 8 days, but splitting it between CN and CSS, so there will not be time for excursions, which there will be plenty to do at both resorts to keep us busy! I would say if your trip is 6+ days, and your budget is busted by an additional excursion, go for it! I always find the day you arrive and the 1st full day at the resort are more trying to get in the groove days and the last full day there we don't want to do anything but soak up everything about it before we have to go back to reality. Last trip we did Dunn's river on the 1st day and that worked out well as a culture immersion for the others in our group.

Took the morning when we did it through Chukka Tours. It looks like they now combine the canopy tour with Dunns River Falls.

We did the zipline through Chukka Cove last month and had a blast. They offer two options - one is a shorter one with 3 lines and the other is a longer adventure with 9 lines. We did the 9 lines and were gone all day - until 3:30 that afternoon. But we had a blast. The drive up the mountain is a bit terrifying but it was worth it in the end. By the way, book directly with Chukka and don't go through the tour company at the resort. You'll save about $30 by taking out the third party tour company and they still pick you up and drop you off at the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Took the morning when we did it through Chukka Tours. It looks like they now combine the canopy tour with Dunns River Falls.
    Hmmmm. We really want to do the zip lining but don't want to extend the excursion with a trip to Dunn's. Anyone know if you can still do the zip lining by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by MurciMe View Post
    Hmmmm. We really want to do the zip lining but don't want to extend the excursion with a trip to Dunn's. Anyone know if you can still do the zip lining by itself?
    Yes you can only do the zipline. That is all we did the first week in Oct. We booked online with Chukka before we left home. We booked the Zipline Canopy at Cranbrook tour.

Thanks for the info. How many zip lines were there?

So if we book online through CC seperately they WILL pick us up and drop us off at CTI on the day We select? Do we just go through google to find or do you mind sharing the website.

In regards to selections - my hubby and I would prefer the 9 line course

Quote Originally Posted by STB42002 View Post
    So if we book online through CC seperately they WILL pick us up and drop us off at CTI on the day We select? Do we just go through google to find or do you mind sharing the website.

In regards to selections - my hubby and I would prefer the 9 line course
    Chukka will pick you up if you book online. Before I booked, I emailed them the same question, and they replied that they will. However, my confirmation letter said to be ready at 8AM pickup, and they did not show up until 9AM. Someone at Couples did call them for us when we were waiting in the lobby. We booked for a Sunday trip as no cruise ships are in port, which turned out really nice as there were only 8 people doing the ziplining and there was no rush. We were the only Couples on the van as we did stop at 2 other resorts for pickup.

We went on their website, www.chukkacaribbean.com for the booking. You may have to do some searching on the website as they do other tours and islands. The tour we took was the "Zipline Canopy @ Cranbrook". There were 9 lines varying in lenght.

Thanks for the info. We just booked for this coming Sunday online. Looking forward to it, flying out in the morning.

Hi! The zip line is GREAT! I was a little nervous about doing it (fear of heights) but after the first Zip... I was hooked! We didn't do the Chukka tour. We did the zip line at Mystic Mountain. We got the package deal with the Chairlift (so no walking up and down required), the Bobsled Ride (what a RUSH!) and then finished it up with the ziplining. The instructors there are GREAT! Very helpful and loads of fun! Mystic mountain is maybe 15 minutes from CTI. A 3 hour excursion. Definitely do it! You won't regret it!

Hi Rum Girl,
    My wife and I were hoping to do the same tour. She has some trouble walking long distances or doing a lot of stairs at one time. Was there a lot of walking or climbing involved? If you want to reply here or send me an email that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post
    Hi Rum Girl,
    My wife and I were hoping to do the same tour. She has some trouble walking long distances or doing a lot of stairs at one time. Was there a lot of walking or climbing involved? If you want to reply here or send me an email that would be great.
    Hi BC! Please tell your wife that there really is hardly any walking involved. Just from the shuttle bus to the chairlift ~ which isn't far at all. Once the chairlift takes you to the top of the mountain you're right near the start of both the zipline and the Bobsled ride. Going back down is EASY... you just zip line for a good part of it and then right back on to the chairlift that takes you back down to where you started. It truly is a BLAST! Have a great trip and enjoy everything!
    ~ Lori

Default Chukka zipline

My wife and I did the Chukka zipline last year and really enjoyed it. I was a Paratrooper for 20 yrs, so not a real rush for me, but the tree top views were wonderful. My wife has never done anything like it before and really loved it. She talked about it for weeks. The personnel in charge were extremely safety concious. The ride up the mountain was kinda rough and the driver said he had a PHD (Pot Hole Dodger) but you get to see a part of the country you would not normally see. You drive up a couple of thousand feet and from the parking lot, you walk back down about 300 ft before you get to the starting point. I would suggest wearing a baseball hat or bandana under the helmet. You'll see why when you get there. We are coming back in Dec and will do it again along with the Chukka Dune Buggy tour. Just do it and enjoy.